Things that you think Mario Kart can improve upon or should add.

I think you should get the option to change to the visual style of each of the previous games in future games.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Two words: Shop Mode.
Finally putting use to the Coin system. It’s very similar to Mario Party 8’s Fun Bazaar, in that you choose a character to go into the shopping area. You can buy vehicle parts, alternate costumes, new cups (not including the standard eight), battle courses, and more!

It's going to be like Mega Man Powered Up, with Peach. I would like to customize my Peach like how I can customize Roll in Mega Man Powered Up.

It'd be cool if you could turn items on/off like in SSB, so you get rid of irritating ones, have Mushroom/Shell/Spiny-only races, etc. Having a wider range of items (recycling from past games) would be cool too, and give you more to choose from when customizing your experience, allow you to replicate retro games' item rosters, etc.

Walkazo said:
It'd be cool if you could turn items on/off like in SSB, so you get rid of irritating ones, have Mushroom/Shell/Spiny-only races, etc. Having a wider range of items (recycling from past games) would be cool too, and give you more to choose from when customizing your experience, allow you to replicate retro games' item rosters, etc.
Mario Kart 7 / 8 already did this to a degree, where you can have only Mushrooms, only Shells, (but that abominable cow turd coin is still there in Mario Kart 8 ) but I think having a super-customizable item switch otherwise isn't really a good idea which is why the developers limited it to just a few items-only. Even in those matches, you can technically stun lock a character by item-box camping; we've done this to Wario in Bob-ombs only in Mario Kart 7 (and unlike Shells only, Wario doesn't get Red Shells to screw us over when we're catching up), and he managed to get lapped TWICE by 1st place and we ended up 2-5th if not 1st lol.

And in Mario Kart 8, you can also stun lock Wario, but it's harder, and you can't face backward.

It's hella fun in SSB, so I don't see why it'd be a bad idea for Mario Kart - especially in small tracks where the chaos can pile up, like Baby Park. Like, a Spiny Shell only race with your pals (like, a VS mode where only human players are involved, MK:DD style) would be a hoot - as long as you're not taking things seriously.

Bring back some items from Double Dash and Wii, specifically Chain Chomp, Bowser Shell, POW Block, Mega Mushroom and Fake Item Box.
Double Dash because I say so.
Different settings for courses like the Animal Crossing course, maybe just change the time of day in courses like hold a button for night time or something like that, but don't have daytime be default.
Hammer Bro and Magikoopa
Definitely do something with the Coin system.
Have reskins for some characters, have like Fire Mario be an alt. for Mario, Pink Gold Peach as an alt for Peach, just like what was done for Yoshi and Shy Guy. It would be better that way to clear up the mess of a roster that was in MK8.

Walkazo said:
It's hella fun in SSB, so I don't see why it'd be a bad idea for Mario Kart - especially in small tracks where the chaos can pile up, like Baby Park. Like, a Spiny Shell only race with your pals (like, a VS mode where only human players are involved, MK:DD style) would be a hoot - as long as you're not taking things seriously.
Mario Kart's gameplay is much more reliant on RNG than Super Smash Bros.. due to the item box's nature. You don't know for sure which item you'll be getting whereas in Smash Bros. if more than one item is on; while item drops are also random in Super Smash Bros., you can see what items are there and ignore them or go after them. Mario Kart is much more heavily dependent on items for success than Smash Bros. as well. I don't think a Stars or Bullet Bill-only match will get you very far.

I've seen people want item switches in Mario Kart, but I don't feel like it'll work for Mario Kart.

It's not like you'd be forced to change items around. People who want every item can keep doing that, and people who want every item to be a Bullet Bill can also get that. The franchise works great as a party game, and adding that little bit of customization would be a good step in that direction.

I thought so too, but I don't know if Nintendo would be on board implementing something like that in the first place; they're already kinda did it with Green Shells only/Mushrooms only/frantic.

I can be wrong, though!

Incorporate 200cc into every game and design a 250cc difficulty level. Furthermore, have it so that the engine class for mirror isn't a fixed 150cc, but instead make it customisable so the player can select the engine class whilst playing mirror mode.

Pi said:
Incorporate 200cc into every game and design a 250cc difficulty level. Furthermore, have it so that the engine class for mirror isn't a fixed 150cc, but instead make it customisable so the player can select the engine class whilst playing mirror mode.
Yes, yes, YES! I have no idea why Mirror Mode is strictly 150cc in the Mario Kart games.

I think that in the next games it would be enough to make 150cc faster and more difficult (and change 200cc accordingly) instead of adding a 250cc engine class, while I agree that 200cc should be playable in all modes - especially Time Trials, since it uses different physics and requires higher Handling and the use of brakedrifting. We are back at the Super Mario Kart situation where Time Trials are in the 100cc class and aren't that useful to learn how to drive properly in 150cc class!
I also agree on Mirror mode needing now a selector of engine class.

Oh, and there needs to be more options available for online play. I hate the online play since it's played in 100cc and as such super slow. If someone wants to play online on a different engine class, that person has to play in certain communities that aren't guaranteed to be populated by players all of the time. This would be easily fixable by allowing players to easily switch between engine classes. Players also should not need to exit the lobby just to change a setting like this.

Furthermore, there needs to be an option on the pause menu that allows players to instantaneously retry a cup if they deem it necessary. Having to navigate a lot of unnecessary menus really does kill motivation. It's not that difficult to program this at all and there's no reason it shouldn't be in the game.

Pi said:
Oh, and there needs to be more options available for online play. I hate the online play since it's played in 100cc and as such super slow. If someone wants to play online on a different engine class, that person has to play in certain communities that aren't guaranteed to be populated by players all of the time. This would be easily fixable by allowing players to easily switch between engine classes. Players also should not need to exit the lobby just to change a setting like this.
Actually, when your VR rise over a certain point (around 6000-7000 points), you're automatically put into 150cc class without having to start custom worldwide races.
I can see why lobbies have fixed engine classes, probably not all players would like to switch engine classes, I think it would make more sense to be able to change your character and vehicle combination on the fly without leaving the lobby.
Other problems I see here is the lack of any indication of what engine class you're currently playing (you can know that only if you look at MKTV's replays) and especially the forced cpu players in custom worldwide races, this means that all 200cc worldwide races have CPU players, which makes them more annoying as lightnings are more frequent, for example.

Mister Wu said:
Actually, when your VR rise over a certain point (around 6000-7000 points), you're automatically put into 150cc class without having to start custom worldwide races.
I can see why lobbies have fixed engine classes, probably not all players would like to switch engine classes, I think it would make more sense to be able to change your character and vehicle combination on the fly without leaving the lobby.
So you're telling me I have to endure boring gameplay just to be able to access the good stuff in an entirely multiplayer oriented environment? Not good at all. And what if I have a couple of friends over who aren't as good at the game but still want to race online? There are tonnes of cases that I can think of that don't fit too well with that mindset. More customisability is always good in this case.

I meant switch engine class on the fly without all the lobby players' consent. Making a vote system would probably work, and to be clear I am all in for more customization options in worldwide races, although bear in mind that friends' lobbies have many more customization options along with voice chat, to the point that you can even choose the track among all the tracks and not just 3 randomly selected tracks.

I think the next Mario Karts should have 12 cups, like in 8, but you shouldn't have to pay DLC for them. Also, I think you should be able to switch between the normal gameplay style and the style of Double Dash. One last thing: NO. RUBBER. BAND. AI.

Also, can we talk about what retro courses we want in the next MK game? Because I have a few ideas for future retro courses that I might post later.

The game physics should probably be more consistent with each engine class. Of course, it is quite shocking how the 200cc is 1.5x faster than the 150cc, while the 50cc is 80% fast, and the 100cc is 90% fast.

Now, in regards to off-road, since Mario Kart 8 only has heavy off-road, you could never hold your drift on off-road terrain, even with the highest traction combos. Sometimes, I feel like off-road should be split into light, medium, and heavy again. I also have a speed multiplier setup for off-road terrain, which relies on how high your combo's traction stat is.

Light Off-Road
Code:
1/6: 0.9x
1.25/6: 0.9025x
1.5/6: 0.905x
1.75/6: 0.9075x
2/6: 0.91x
2.25/6: 0.9125x
2.5/6: 0.915x
2.75/6: 0.9175x
3/6: 0.92x
3.25/6: 0.9225x
3.5/6: 0.925x
3.75/6: 0.9275x
4/6: 0.93x
4.25/6: 0.9325x
4.5/6: 0.935x
4.75/6: 0.9375x
5/6: 0.94x
5.25/6: 0.9425x
5.5/6: 0.945x
5.75/6: 0.9475x

Medium Off-Road
Code:
1/6: 0.45x
1.25/6: 0.4625x
1.5/6: 0.475x
1.75/6: 0.4875x
2/6: 0.5x
2.25/6: 0.5125x
2.5/6: 0.525x
2.75/6: 0.5375x
3/6: 0.55x
3.25/6: 0.5625x
3.5/6: 0.575x
3.75/6: 0.5875x
4/6: 0.6x
4.25/6: 0.6125x
4.5/6: 0.625x
4.75/6: 0.6375x
5/6: 0.65x
5.25/6: 0.6625x
5.5/6: 0.675x
5.75/6: 0.6875x

Heavy Off-Road
Code:
1/6: 0.25x
1.25/6: 0.255x
1.5/6: 0.26x
1.75/6: 0.265x
2/6: 0.27x
2.25/6: 0.275x
2.5/6: 0.28x
2.75/6: 0.285x
3/6: 0.29x
3.25/6: 0.295x
3.5/6: 0.3x
3.75/6: 0.305x
4/6: 0.31x
4.25/6: 0.315x
4.5/6: 0.32x
4.75/6: 0.325x
5/6: 0.33x
5.25/6: 0.335x
5.5/6: 0.34x
5.75/6: 0.345x

What kind of off-road terrain that you'll find would be dependent on the track, and I can give some examples with some retro track inputs.

3DS Daisy Hills
Grass = Medium Off-Road

SNES Choco Island 1
Mud = Light Off-Road
Dark Ground = Heavy Off-Road

Wii U Thwomp Ruins
Grass = Medium Off-Road

Wii Toad's Factory
Mud = Heavy Off-Road

GBA Snow Land
Ice = Light Off-Road
Snow = Medium Off-Road

3DS Wario Shipyard
Mud = Heavy Off-Road

If we're gonna start adding non-Mario characters, can we get someone like Captain Falcon, please? There's already F-Zero tracks and the Blue Falcon is already a kart, so why not?

Mister Wu said:
I meant switch engine class on the fly without all the lobby players' consent. Making a vote system would probably work, and to be clear I am all in for more customization options in worldwide races, although bear in mind that friends' lobbies have many more customization options along with voice chat, to the point that you can even choose the track among all the tracks and not just 3 randomly selected tracks.
That's not what I meant. The approach I want to see is it should put the individual before the group. If you change engine class, you get dropped out of the current race group and are subsequently relocated into a group that plays on the selected engine class. This works wonders for everybody: those who want to remain in the engine class get to do so, whilst the others get to move into another engine class.

MnSG said:
The game physics should probably be more consistent with each engine class. Of course, it is quite shocking how the 200cc is 1.5x faster than the 150cc, while the 50cc is 80% fast, and the 100cc is 90% fast.

Now, in regards to off-road, since Mario Kart 8 only has heavy off-road, you could never hold your drift on off-road terrain, even with the highest traction combos. Sometimes, I feel like off-road should be split into light, medium, and heavy again. I also have a speed multiplier setup for off-road terrain, which relies on how high your combo's traction stat is.

Light Off-Road
Code:
1/6: 0.9x
1.25/6: 0.9025x
1.5/6: 0.905x
1.75/6: 0.9075x
2/6: 0.91x
2.25/6: 0.9125x
2.5/6: 0.915x
2.75/6: 0.9175x
3/6: 0.92x
3.25/6: 0.9225x
3.5/6: 0.925x
3.75/6: 0.9275x
4/6: 0.93x
4.25/6: 0.9325x
4.5/6: 0.935x
4.75/6: 0.9375x
5/6: 0.94x
5.25/6: 0.9425x
5.5/6: 0.945x
5.75/6: 0.9475x

Medium Off-Road
Code:
1/6: 0.45x
1.25/6: 0.4625x
1.5/6: 0.475x
1.75/6: 0.4875x
2/6: 0.5x
2.25/6: 0.5125x
2.5/6: 0.525x
2.75/6: 0.5375x
3/6: 0.55x
3.25/6: 0.5625x
3.5/6: 0.575x
3.75/6: 0.5875x
4/6: 0.6x
4.25/6: 0.6125x
4.5/6: 0.625x
4.75/6: 0.6375x
5/6: 0.65x
5.25/6: 0.6625x
5.5/6: 0.675x
5.75/6: 0.6875x

Heavy Off-Road
Code:
1/6: 0.25x
1.25/6: 0.255x
1.5/6: 0.26x
1.75/6: 0.265x
2/6: 0.27x
2.25/6: 0.275x
2.5/6: 0.28x
2.75/6: 0.285x
3/6: 0.29x
3.25/6: 0.295x
3.5/6: 0.3x
3.75/6: 0.305x
4/6: 0.31x
4.25/6: 0.315x
4.5/6: 0.32x
4.75/6: 0.325x
5/6: 0.33x
5.25/6: 0.335x
5.5/6: 0.34x
5.75/6: 0.345x

What kind of off-road terrain that you'll find would be dependent on the track, and I can give some examples with some retro track inputs.

3DS Daisy Hills
Grass = Medium Off-Road

SNES Choco Island 1
Mud = Light Off-Road
Dark Ground = Heavy Off-Road

Wii U Thwomp Ruins
Grass = Medium Off-Road

Wii Toad's Factory
Mud = Heavy Off-Road

GBA Snow Land
Ice = Light Off-Road
Snow = Medium Off-Road

3DS Wario Shipyard
Mud = Heavy Off-Road

It must be said that MK8 is more Traction-based than Off-Road based, as there appears to be many different terrains, each with its own friction. Regarding Off-Road, the only thing we know is that we always lose so much speed that you can't keep the Mini-Turbo charge, but I don't know if the speed is always the same in all Off-Road terrains nor would I speculate on this, as we don't really have a speedometer nor access to in-game code to know if there really is only one type of Off-Road. Of course, they could have modified Traction so that it allowed to charge Mini-Turbos in some kinds of terrain, but honestly the list of things that the developers could have done in MK8 is already quite long, let's hope that in the next Mario Kart they follow a structure similar to the one you propose!

Pi said:
That's not what I meant. The approach I want to see is it should put the individual before the group. If you change engine class, you get dropped out of the current race group and are subsequently relocated into a group that plays on the selected engine class. This works wonders for everybody: those who want to remain in the engine class get to do so, whilst the others get to move into another engine class.
Ok, I definitely agree on this! Even better, in my opinion, if they also allow you to choose the engine class before going with the character and vehicle combination screens!

Mister Wu said:
It must be said that MK8 is more Traction-based than Off-Road based, as there appears to be many different terrains, each with its own friction. Regarding Off-Road, the only thing we know is that we always lose so much speed that you can't keep the Mini-Turbo charge, but I don't know if the speed is always the same in all Off-Road terrains nor would I speculate on this, as we don't really have a speedometer nor access to in-game code to know if there really is only one type of Off-Road. Of course, they could have modified Traction so that it allowed to charge Mini-Turbos in some kinds of terrain, but honestly the list of things that the developers could have done in MK8 is already quite long, let's hope that in the next Mario Kart they follow a structure similar to the one you propose!

Yeah you just can't really utilize the off-road shortcuts without a Super Star or Mushroom boost in Mario Kart 8. That pretty much leaves the traction stat feeling completely expendable for most of the game's tracks; this also meant that the Monster and Hot Monster are quite worthless, as their weight boost is also used by the Metal and Gold Tires, which have a way better overall stat total.

In Mario Kart 7, most off-road shortcuts can easily be taken without any boosts if you're using the Monster or Red Monster tires, all thanks to the fact that you can hold your drift on most off-road terrain with them; off-road never goes below 4.5/6 with the Monster and Red Monster, while all the other tire choices can't go higher than 4.25/6 off-road, which can't hold its drift while off-road.

Also, in Mario Kart Wii, an off-road stat that's greater than 50/80 pretty much guarantees that you can hold your drift on any normal off-road terrain.

Back