Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

HeftyWario said:
I'm barfing cause there are no Paper exclusive enemies and they all have their Sticker redesigns.

When you mean by "Sticker" redesign" don't you mean...........their contemporary design to better fit their updated looks rather than rely on outdated designs that came from main series games of that time?

Like, are you Paper Mario fans who complain about this really that obtuse?

im only afraid that it having sticker star elements will dumb down the mario & luigi part together with it.

like im almost certain it will.

Man I hope I never get that picky about shit.

sticker star looks pretty good, honestly

its aesthetics wasn't the problem.

The one that Paper Mario: Sticker Star did right was definitely the visuals. It's one of the reasons I think it makes for a decent Mario game (albeit a terrible addition to the Paper Mario series), and something that is very pleasing to the eyes.

I think I'm coming slowly to the reality that few things irritate me more than a few vocal members of the Mario RPG fanbase. Along with those that endlessly beg for one-offs like Geno, Fawful, and Dimentio into Mario and Smash games, the new breed is those who whine about "generic" "personality-less" Paper Mario Sticker Star redesigns that, god forbid, reflect the contemporary designs of characters rather than outdated NES/SNES designs.

I know exactly how you feel.

Dr. Mario said:
the new breed is those who whine about "generic" "personality-less" Paper Mario Sticker Star redesigns that, god forbid, reflect the contemporary designs of characters rather than outdated NES/SNES designs.

I'm kinda getting a "Sonic's arms shouldn't be blue! Sonic's eyes shouldn't be green!" vibe from that post on the previous page, tbh.

I'm glad they got rid of the older designs to be frank.

HeftyWario said:
Paper Mario fans can officially Barf.
I already barfed the moment this game was revealed at E3. Even now, I have little faith that this game is going to be any better than Sticker Star.

SolarBlaze said:
I already barfed the moment this game was revealed at E3. Even now, I have little faith that this game is going to be any better than Sticker Star.

Hey buddy where you been?!

I've been kind of busy over the months, which has limited my activity a bit. Now that I have more free time on my hands, I'll see what I can do to be more active again.

Great! I'm sure we'll be wanting to kill each other in no time!

Oh yes, I look forward to it :P

Glowsquid said:
Dr. Mario said:
the new breed is those who whine about "generic" "personality-less" Paper Mario Sticker Star redesigns that, god forbid, reflect the contemporary designs of characters rather than outdated NES/SNES designs.

I'm kinda getting a "Sonic's arms shouldn't be blue! Sonic's eyes shouldn't be green!" vibe from that post on the previous page, tbh.
Huh, that parallel has never occurred to me.

See, the obnoxious part of the Mario RPG fanbase are pretty entitled and hold a different standard to their dang precious RPG games.

Taken from GameFaqs, your usual local gaming cesspool.

So, we've found out that Paper Jam will be hitting stores a lot sooner, as well as being privy to several more screenshots.

Considering the speedy development cycle for this game, the recycling of the game engine and a boatload of assets, I somewhat fear how future RPG titles (if there will be any) will be handled.

For me at least, I disassociated the RPG series from the Party games, the kart racers and sport titles, which have been churned out and capitalised upon shamelessly. The RPGs have had much longer, and I think, creative thought put into them, and truly come across as labours of love.

There seem to be a lot of shortcuts taken here, and I wouldn't be half surprised if the higher ups have suggested the RPG series need to reflect the current 'spinoff' model. When something reveals to be a lot more time efficient and cost-effective at the end, there's no reason not to.

The game may be getting this treatment because it is a quick grab before the 3DS is put down, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if extra pressure is placed on developers to create more quickly in the future.

This one pissed me off, especially the one in bold.

Mario RPG's are supposed to have unique characters and locals that the main Mario series doesn't have.

Even though the designs arent completely original from the first three paper mario games, thatis the design style the series took on and they shouldnt just completely change it for no reason.

Whoever at Nintendo is behind this "pro Sticker Star" agenda may hold (and may be) the answer. I have never seen one high-rank Nintendo employee/faction show such disregard for fans and critics, as well as their own legacy.

If Starlow is the only RPG character in this, (and I have never talked about the following outside the topics where it's relevant) I'll do what I did on the Sticker Star board again to fill the void Nintendo should have been fulfilling.

McMadness is probably familiar with these. And no, it's not just one user I'm picking on.

Mcmadness said:
I'm glad they got rid of the older designs to be frank.

Yeah, it's time they stop using outdated designs that the main Mario series stopped using a long time ago.

These boos>>>>>>>>>>SMW2: YI Boos

People give the papers far too much credit for their enemy designs. 99% of the so-called Paper designs are actually designs from games of their time.

Boos <- SMW2: Yoshi's Island Boos
Goombas <- SMW2: Yoshi's Island Goombas
Monty Moles <- SMW Monty Moles
Pokeys <- SMW Pokeys
Buzzy Beetles <- Parabeetles from SMB3
Spike Top <- Ditto
Hammer Bros. <- SMB (the current design Hammer Bros. is actually from Mario Party 5)
Bony Beetle <- SMW Bony Beetles
Dry Bones <- obviously taken inspiration from SMW Dry Bones

And then there's the Troopas, which are unchanged except for the addition of shades for whatever reason.

Magikrazy said:
And then there's the Troopas, which are unchanged except for the addition of shades for whatever reason.

Only the evil ones wear shades.

And that's really the only reason, to tell you "those are the bad guys".

@SolarBlaze: AlphaDream is in charge of this game, not Intelligent Systems, so I think we can already assume it'll be better than Sticker Star.

And yeah, the Mario RPG fanbase can be very entitled to their opinions. I think it's because they do things that are not in the mario series that they think that their fanfics have a chance at actually becoming a reality, and get mad when that - even though the characters have more personality/character than in the other sections of Mario games - they tend to use characters/enemies that are familiar and widely known.

Like, even though I dislike Sticker Star as part of the series of Paper Mario, I do understand that it was experimental and they were testing waters with trying to be unique. They failed, and I hope they avoid going down that path in future installments, but it's like they forget that there were still good things about the game, or things they did right.

I have a question, would MaRPG fans like Sticker Star as much if Sticker Star kept the TTYD battle mechanic, badges, but left virtually everything else unchanged? I mean, its battle system was, in my opinion, the game's most glaring flaw. Also, stripping Luigi and Bowser's dialogue was stupid but not the main problem of the game.

And I'm not talking about the insane story fans of the MaRPGs like the dudes here who spout of nonsense about story and oCs being the main defining point of a MaRPG. I mean, in general, people who play and enjoy the games mainly because of their gameplay and general atmosphere.

Dr. Mario said:
McMadness is probably familiar with these. And no, it's not just one user I'm picking on.

Yes I am.

I've even been told that I'm ''not like them'' as if there is only a certain type of fan allowed for these games.

Back