Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

wait does that mean baby mario and baby luigi actually have a chance?

nah i'm just being overly delusional

The question now is, who's left? If we assume that the Mario cast is what it is ATM (and 16 characters is quite a lot) and we assume Zazz is indeed playable for the Sonic side, that would mean there's one last Sonic character to make the teams even, which is a given. But who would be the most likely in?

CrashBash said:
The question now is, who's left? If we assume that the Mario cast is what it is ATM (and 16 characters is quite a lot) and we assume Zazz is indeed playable for the Sonic side, that would mean there's one last Sonic character to make the teams even, which is a given. But who would be the most likely in?

Big the Cat

But seriously, there's alot of Sonic characters they could add. Just it's getting to the point it's difficult to find a matching character. Since the series seems to thrive on having a Sonic and Mario character be respective rivals/friends/etc. (Ex: Sonic-Mario, Tails-Luigi, Shadow-Wario, Daisy-Blaze, etc.)

Sonic OC is confirmed for M&S Olympics 2016

Just kidding. E-102 Gamma? Maybe it's just because I only played a few Sonic games, but I can't think of any others.

Xandalf said:
Sonic OC is confirmed for M&S Olympics 2016

Just kidding. E-102 Gamma? Maybe it's just because I only played a few Sonic games, but I can't think of any others.

If we were to get a robot character (Well aside from Metal Sonic already in) I think we'd get Omega (Debuted in Sonic Heroes, made a few more main Sonic game appearences and was in some Spin-Offs). And has already appeared as a NPC in previous Mario & Sonic games

I support Omega's inclusions, but I do wish sometimes the referees (particularly Cream and Toad) get a playable appearance.

Well, Storm the Albatross has yet to be confirmed, and since two of the Babylon's Rogues are there, I would expect him...

I hope this one has a silly and dumb story mode so I can watch the cutscenes online for personal amusement.

No Storm? That's disappointing, but poor guy's probably been relegated to referee hell since Cream and Espio seem to be playable now.

Not sure how I feel about the the Koopalings taking up 7 spots in the Mario side, though. I'm sure they could've put more effort than that.

Now, if we assume that the characters shown is the complete roster, which seems insanely likely now, it begs the question what "type" of characters they are.

If we assume that it's still the same four types as before, and we assume every returning character stays the same, my thoughts would be...

All-Around: Ludwig, Birdo, Cream, Espio, Sticks
Speed: Nabbit, Diddy Kong, Larry, Jet, Zazz
Skill: Rosalina, Wendy, Dry Bones, Wave, Eggman Nega
Power: Roy, Dry Bowser, Omega, Rouge, Zavok

Yeah, I know Rouge seems an odd choice for Power, but she still fits that better than anyone else aside Omega and Zavok.

Gamefreak75 said:
No Storm? That's disappointing, but poor guy's probably been relegated to referee hell since Cream and Espio seem to be playable now.

Not sure how I feel about the the Koopalings taking up 7 spots in the Mario side, though. I'm sure they could've put more effort than that.
It looks like only four of the Koopalings are playable.

Poor Toad. Even Dry Bones gets in ahead of him. No Big the Cat either.

Gamefreak75 said:

Well, this time we have Nabbit, Diddy, Birdo, Bowser Jr. and Dry Bones, not to count the Boom Booms that appeared in the earlier trailers, so I don't think they are in at the expense of other characters (and it must be seen if all 7 are in the game). Toads are referee/football/soccer players, while King Boo and Petey Piranha would likely have required quite a bit of development effort to make the models suitable for all the sports. We could talk about Toadette, but really, I wouldn't worry too much this time that they are in. Well, at least I am happy, if only because Larry Koopa finally plays in sport games ;-) Ok, in reality it's the horse who does most of the job, but still...

By the way, official list of characters, with romanized names:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/bgxj/character/index.html
Pom Pom confirmed in, by the way!

I just noticed that the official site, even though it is for the game as a whole, only states that this game is "available on Nintendo 3DS" and all material is clearly from the 3DS version. Since it will launch near the E3, I'm starting to suspect that it has been NXized!
EDIT: at least SEGA still mentions the Wii U version, so probably it is coming, after all: https://sega.jp/topics/151209_arcade_1/

Oh boy, a new outfit for Rosalina fans to ogle over.

Dry Bowser? What a poor choice. Why does he keep reappearing in games?

This is proof that the 3DS version will suck

http://gonintendo.com/stories/249385-mario-sonic-at-the-rio-2016-olympic-games-more-3ds-footage-d

That list of characters there means that those events in parentheses are the only events they will be playable in

Wait, only some of the Koopalings are playable? That's even more asinine than having all of them. Why would they do that? And it looks like Iggy isn't even one of them, so it's even more disgusting.

Baby Luigi said:
This is proof that the 3DS version will suck

http://gonintendo.com/stories/249385-mario-sonic-at-the-rio-2016-olympic-games-more-3ds-footage-d

That list of characters there means that those events in parentheses are the only events they will be playable in
That's really dumb. Is this also the case for the Wii U version?

Northern Verve said:
Baby Luigi said:
Dry Bowser? What a poor choice. Why does he keep reappearing in games?

Probably needed something to matchup with Eggman Nega
Petey or King Boo would have been better.

Or maybe have Big instead of Nega and bring in some other Mario character like Toad.

Back