Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

if it is, then i don't get it since he's still voice-acted and i still think he makes phrases?

Baby Luigi said:
if it is, then i don't get it since he's still voice-acted and i still think he makes phrases?

More like ''Sonic is not allowed to speak full sentences if you want Mario in this''

Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:

More like ''Sonic is not allowed to speak full sentences if you want Mario in this''
Mario shouldn't talk, so Sonic shouldn't talk either, and that means Luigi doesn't talk??

I still don't get it.

I stopped trying to figure out sega and nintendo years ago

DragonFreak said:
SuperBerb said:
More or less, yeah. They "shoehorn" characters like Wario, Yoshi, and I'd even say Peach more than they ever did with Rosalina...because what it tells me is that they're actually utilizing their cast.
LOL funniest thing I heard all day.
It's right though. Can't "shoehorn" harder than giving totally new characters (Wario and Yoshi circa early 90s) their own franchises over much older characters.

And Peach was, is, and always will be nothing more than what Pauline was, which is worthlessness incarnate.

Mcmadness said:
It's only the handheld versions that have the story modes. They are absolutely stupid and use dollar store versions of the character's personalities but the production values are oddly good and there is an amusing novelty to the whole thing.
How does dialogue work? Like, Mario never talks, but Sonic is always a talker, so how do they work with something like that? Just have Sonic react to things without saying anything like Mario always does?

I know they have unvoiced lines since I saw something before with Toad speaking to Sonic in one of the games. Kinda awkward to just have Sonic be silent but the rest of the cast speak.

Mcmadness said:
It's really funny if you think about it.

Bowser and Eggman, 2 of gaming's greatest villains team up, an alliance that requires a majority of the major Sonic and Mario characters to work together to defeat this combined threat and what terrible thing do these 2 villains do?

Fog London to get the Olympics cancelled.
That's actually pretty funny, but you can't go wrong with pairing Bowser and Eggman anyways.

It befits a couple goofballs like them to do something like that, really.

Still does kinda make me want to see a legit team up from them though. The Mega Man/Sonic comics had such great back-and-forth between Eggman and Wily. Something like that with Bowser and Eggman would be fantastic. If this game does something like that, then it'll have my full attention.

Baby Luigi said:
SuperBerb said:
That's not outright tho

you want to continue this until a mod outright tells you to stop then? we all have enough of this debate, now cut it out, and considering it's borderline off-topic posting, it technically is against the rules. same with you, mario party X
I'll stop, but it's not really that off-topic. It's directly related to this game, but it extends to the franchise in general from that.

Sonic just makes grunts and emotes. Tails did all the actual talking.

It was very weird to look at.

SuperBerb said:
DragonFreak said:
SuperBerb said:
More or less, yeah. They "shoehorn" characters like Wario, Yoshi, and I'd even say Peach more than they ever did with Rosalina...because what it tells me is that they're actually utilizing their cast.
LOL funniest thing I heard all day.
It's right though. Can't "shoehorn" harder than giving totally new characters (Wario and Yoshi circa early 90s) their own franchises over much older characters.

And Peach was, is, and always will be nothing more than what Pauline was, which is worthlessness incarnate.
>Wario and Yoshi
>"totally new characterss"
What?
Yoshi is one of the oldest characters. I mean SMW was still very early in the Mario franchise. Wario wasn't too far ahead either. They both were introduced 8 or less years from the release of SMB. They are both probably older than you are (well at least Yoshi is). While the shoehorning of let's say Rosalina, which debuted over 20 years after the release of SMB.

Also Super Princess Peach, SMB2, and SPM would like to have a word with you. She's less worthless than Pauline for sure.

Yoshi is one year older than me I think.

SuperBerb said:
Mcmadness said:
It's only the handheld versions that have the story modes. They are absolutely stupid and use dollar store versions of the character's personalities but the production values are oddly good and there is an amusing novelty to the whole thing.
How does dialogue work? Like, Mario never talks, but Sonic is always a talker, so how do they work with something like that? Just have Sonic react to things without saying anything like Mario always does?

Sonic acts as Mario does: a dummy figure with facial expressions.

SuperBerb said:
I know they have unvoiced lines since I saw something before with Toad speaking to Sonic in one of the games. Kinda awkward to just have Sonic be silent but the rest of the cast speak.
I'd argue that it's awkward for ANYONE to be silent while "conversing" with characters. This is why Mario should talk, and the silent protagonist trope doesn't cut it for him.

If not, just have a game where Mario Teaches Sign Language. Suits perfectly well for him. *snort*

SuperBerb said:
Mcmadness said:
It's really funny if you think about it.

Bowser and Eggman, 2 of gaming's greatest villains team up, an alliance that requires a majority of the major Sonic and Mario characters to work together to defeat this combined threat and what terrible thing do these 2 villains do?

Fog London to get the Olympics cancelled.
That's actually pretty funny, but you can't go wrong with pairing Bowser and Eggman anyways.

It befits a couple goofballs like them to do something like that, really.

Still does kinda make me want to see a legit team up from them though. The Mega Man/Sonic comics had such great back-and-forth between Eggman and Wily. Something like that with Bowser and Eggman would be fantastic. If this game does something like that, then it'll have my full attention.
It's ridiculous, but the story takes itself way too seriously for me to have genuine enjoyment from it. It's so bad, it's face-palming.

I remember at the end the EPIC FINALE where it shows a montage of everybody in the game and how they defeated the terrible fog.

Mcmadness said:
Sonic just makes grunts and emotes. Tails did all the actual talking.

It was very weird to look at.

Sounds like Sonic Generations with Classic Sonic and Classic Tails then, but it doesn't work quite as well due to both being modern in the Olympics games I'd imagine.

Did they ever comment on why they did that or were we just supposed to accept it?

Mario Party Σ said:
I'd argue that it's awkward for ANYONE to be silent while "conversing" with characters. This is why Mario should talk, and the silent protagonist trope doesn't cut it for him.

If not, just have a game where Mario Teaches Sign Language. Suits perfectly well for him. *snort*

Eh, I like it in the Mario and Luigi games when he and Luigi just speak gibberish that translates to something cohesive and comprehensible to the rest of the cast. It works there, but I really doubt it'd work in the Olympics games since those games have a different style to them.

It's ridiculous, but the story takes itself way too seriously for me to have genuine enjoyment from it. It's so bad, it's face-palming.

Wait, what? It takes itself seriously? Why?

It sounded like a major tongue-in-cheek sort of thing from how you all described it.

Well, did Bowser at least speak? They didn't pull any sort of dumb Sticker Star level stupidity where he just roars like a generic monster, right?

DragonFreak said:
>Wario and Yoshi
>"totally new characterss"
What?
Yoshi is one of the oldest characters. I mean SMW was still very early in the Mario franchise. Wario wasn't too far ahead either. They both were introduced 8 or less years from the release of SMB. They are both probably older than you are (well at least Yoshi is). While the shoehorning of let's say Rosalina, which debuted over 20 years after the release of SMB.

Also Super Princess Peach, SMB2, and SPM would like to have a word with you. She's less worthless than Pauline for sure.
Please look at my post again and note that I said circa early 90s after mentioning Wario and Yoshi, hence, at the time, they were totally new, not now. I'm going to assume you either didn't read that properly or you don't know what "circa" means.

Mario debuted to the world in 1981 with Donkey Kong. Wario and Yoshi appeared over 10 years later, and yet they both spawned franchises almost instantly. Someone like Luigi didn't get anything like that apart from Mario Is Missing (are we honestly going to count that?) until Luigi's Mansion came out a decade after those two debuted. And then look at all the games they appeared in even before that. Contrast this to Rosalina who only had Galaxy/Kart games (all, what 4 of them?) in her appearance list until 6 years after SMG. Rosalina doesn't have her own franchise either. Yoshi has a myriad of games and Wario has TWO whole franchises. Yes, by all accounts, they're more "shoehorned". Did Nintendo ever take a 3rd party company's remake of their mascot's 1st game and plaster Rosalina on the cover and title? Because that's what they did with Wario.

And Peach having those games means nothing. She's still just Damsel in Distress: The Character. That's why Nintendo didn't even want to acknowledge her for Women's History Month. Miyamoto is probably the only one there who likes her.

Mcmadness said:
Yoshi is one year older than me I think.

and i'm about as old as baby luigi

the only way i can remember the year of his creation is because he shares the same debut year as my birthyear.

Sticks-in-Rio-2016.jpg

Uh oh, that's Sticks right there. That's not going to get any points from the Sonic Boom hatedom of the Sonic fanbase...

I thought Sonic Boom was non-canon to the Sonic series.

Also, another female for Team Sonic. Which means two more females for Team Mario.

Mario:
Nabbit
Diddy Kong
Rosalina

Sonic:
Jet
Rouge
Sticks (is that its actual name)

This is what the new character line-up is looking like.

Wait! Hold just a minute everybody! Is there a main Sonic World's Stick's counterpart or she somehow got there and met some sligthly different looking characters? I can see her realizing that Sonic, Knuckles and Eggman's physical appearance being different.

Back