post any random Mario thought on your mind

The theme song should be Shmup Up Super Star or else it's a bad Mario spinoff.

Now I know I Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels is called like this. You'll lose a lot!

Hahahaha. (What the fork a I doing!?)

I was bored and found myself wondering what shape Star Bits were. I figured the shape had to have a name.

Thanks to Wikipedia, I now know that said shape is called a stellated dodecahedron.

new donker: i just want to die

15 years or so later I still haven't gotten over Fawful taking out Bowser in one shot in superstar saga.

One of the most blatant examples of character shilling the series has ever had prior to Starlow's entire existence.

Also E.Gadd needs to be in the next one. That isn't a remake.

E Gadd needs to be more in everything and I'm tired of waiting for him to appear again in something that's not Luigi's Mansion.

E. Gadd is a legit genius.
He has created everything from robots to giant water pumps to running his own cafe. What can't this man do?...
Well I guess he can't keep track of the most dangerous Boo in existence but he's getting old so I'll let it slide.

Mcmadness said:
15 years or so later I still haven't gotten over Fawful taking out Bowser in one shot in superstar saga.

One of the most blatant examples of character shilling the series has ever had prior to Starlow's entire existence.

Also E.Gadd needs to be in the next one. That isn't a remake.
Fawful falls under some traps of fanfic, Mary Sue self-insert. Particularly that self insert is much stronger than the established characters that they easily defeat them. We know Bowser, when the story isn't written as poorly, can just throw Fawful off the ship with an arm tied behind his back and Mario can defeat him by spreading a picnic blanket and just sitting on him afterwards.

Fawful isn't the worst example of Mary Sue, but that's definitely one the tropes he has shown, and it's never good idea to rely on that trope.

E Gadd does need to reappear but any character from an other existing spin-off game is kinda dead meat because that's the Nintendo ™ way.

Mcmadness said:

I think you forgot about Count Bleck, who just instantly one-ups Mario in one blow and effortlessly sucks in the entire Koopa Troop with his black hole ass.

I didn't forget. I just don't think people need to hear me rant about that game for the umpteenth time.

I need to hear you rant about that game for the umpteenth time.

Oh I'm sure you can find an old rant of mine somewhere if you google it.

Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:

I think you forgot about Count Bleck, who just instantly one-ups Mario in one blow and effortlessly sucks in the entire Koopa Troop with his black hole ass.
Wait when did Count Bleck show up in the M&L series, I'd like to see that :eek:

I misinterpreted "series" as the whole Mario series, not just Mario & Luigi, because that also perfectly applies there.

Baby Luigi said:
Daisy was low effort to make. They pretty much recycled Peach's skeleton and animations with a few tweaks to make her stand out (and not even moveset property tweaks, just aesthetic ones). She even looks like her head was Frakenstein'ed onto Peach's body. I think the decision to make Daisy a separate playable fighter than an alternate costume like some characters is that they wanted to introduce some animation tweaks to Daisy I guess so she got her own slot.

Regardless if Daisy had major roles or not, she's still a fairly popular recurring Mario character, enough to get requests for and enough for her to get a skin in her likeness since Peach's introduction. You can't just write off her spin-off appearances as being completely pointless. To be honest, while I don't think Daisy is a great choice to be a new fighter, she's not completely out of the blue and obscure as some people claim she is.

The same thing applies to Waluigi. He's appeared as a playable character in a countless amount of Mario spin-offs. Hell, the fact that he's an Assist Trophy before much more recurring "major" characters in Mario games hints that it's not just about his roles in platformers or the lack of thereof but his popularity due to people enjoy using him in the likes of Kart, Party, etc.

Piranha Plant was pretty WTF but was still a recognizable Mario character that people would see and say, "these guys are crazy to put that plant enemy from mario to be playable" so it comes with its own sort of charm.

Her skeleton and 95% of her animations are directly from Peach but her model is definitely brand new. We checked and the UV’s and topologies (even stuff like her shoes) are different. Even her torso is different from Peach’s. The models such as Toad, the weapons and such are all the same though.

Her effects aren’t even copied from Peach either, they animate differently too (notice how Daisy’s petals sway and rotate as if they were carried by wind whilst Peach’s hearts shrink and almost dissolve). She even spawns a different item for her FS (yes, the daisy is techinically a different item).

I guess the real thing that saved time was her having no genuine property tweaks so they didn’t need to balance her seperately. Removing float for example would probably need far more extra playtesting and move tweaking.

It's April.

Yes, that's very apparent that this happens with new models, even for similar characters, because you're better off modeling new characters with different facial features, build, and hair from scratch than editing them (you will mess up UVs if you rely only on texture edits and vertex edits to get what you want). Even characters like Baby Luigi have unique UV maps. I just said that "She even looks like her head was Frakenstein'ed onto Peach's body.", which means that part of the post wasn't meant to be taken literally.

She's still a low-effort character to make, however. Modelers make tons of models per week, and modeling a character with a similar physique to another character won't take more than a day to fully get down if you're a professional. The animations take the most time to make because you practically need to keyframe a bunch of animations and as you said, Peach already has. And practically all of her moveset properties are from Peach, meaning they pretty much don't need to tweak anything if at all when it comes to bug and balance testing, which is another time-consuming part of the character process.

In addition, particle effect animations aren't all that hard to tweak.

Kill the red cataquacks with the plant things that launch you in the air. Launch those bastards to their deaths.

Sadly, not all Cataquacks can be permanently defeated, so you'll have to stun them if you don't want them to intervene with your watermelon delivery.

Finally beat the mission after much frustration. The most difficult part was that you could only defeat the Cataquacks with the Dune Buds on the ground level, so there were still a bunch of other pesky Cataquacks in the way that I couldn't deal with that way. Strangely enough, I actually found it easier to push the watermelon to the left, away from the goal, because while the route was longer, there were fewer Cataquacks.

But I sure am glad that mission's done with. Time to move on to some other missions that are actually fun.

Back