post any random Mario thought on your mind

Mcmadness said:
And this is why Huey is better than Kersti.

Not that Kersti was a high bar to begin with

Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:
And this is why Huey is better than Kersti.

Not that Kersti was a high bar to begin with

Aye, though I think Huey is the best "floating thing that follows you around that does all the talking" the series has had.

At least until cappy came along.

Well for me we have:

Stuffwell who was ok but really I only liked him because he was built by E.Gadd
Starlow who is a massive bitch
Tippi who is dull.
Kersti who is also a bitch (though at least she apologized for it later)
Huey who is just full of warm feelings.

So yeah I take Huey.

Does Beep-O count?

He's ok.

Borp said:
This kind of thing is a testament to how poorly-thought out both SS and CS's battle systems were.
They really needed a desperation attack option or something.
I still remember one time when I was soft-locked during the Supreme Sparkling King Bowser fight because I ran out of Hammer/Iron Jump stickers and Bowser's face, for who knows what reason, is counted as a sharp object.

Mcmadness said:
Well for me we have:

Starlow who is a massive *bleep*
Tippi who is dull.
Kersti who is also a *bleep* (though at least she apologized for it later)

So yeah I take Huey.

...What about Tiptron?

Mr. Saltman said:
Mcmadness said:
Well for me we have:

Tippi who is dull.

So yeah I take Huey.

...What about Tiptron?
Tiptron's basically Tippi with the occasional existential crisis (or pretending) that makes you feel bad for her more.

Mr. Saltman said:
Mcmadness said:
Well for me we have:

Tippi who is dull.

So yeah I take Huey.

...What about Tiptron?

Not worth the 999 coins

Man, looking over SPM again makes you notice how it dropped the ball when it came to Bowser compared to SMRPG. The game made him too nice.

Don't get me started.

It's kind of ironic how, despite growing as a character (kinda) Bowser decays as the Paper Mario series goes on. Even in Sticker Star and Color Splash, where he's the final boss, he's still driven crazy and possessed respectively (in fairness to Sticker Star, it's implied he was in control of his actions to some degree unlike Color Splash. Said fairness is immediately revoked, however, due to him being mute in that game).
Meanwhile, Mario & Luigi Bowser went in the opposite direction by becoming more competent and threatening as time went on.

Which is why I shall forever prefer M&L's writing to Paper Mario's writing.

The Mario and Luigi games from Bowser's Inside Story onwards weren't as focused on showing how the new villains were totally more dark and powerful than Bowser and had Bowser spearhead the war on Fawful.

Even though most of the time they really weren't. Often times doing the same stuff he would do.

Qayin said:
The Mario and Luigi games from Bowser's Inside Story onwards weren't as focused on showing how the new villains were totally more dark and powerful than Bowser and had Bowser spearhead the war on Fawful.
In fairness, the only villains we've gotten since then were Antasma and Paper Bowser.
Also, something to consider is that Bowser rarely knows exactly what's going on in the RPGs: Usually he shows up and throws whatever plans the villains/heroes had off the rails (less so in Paper Mario since he only did that in Thousand Year Door and there was nothing stopping Grodus from simply taking Peach into the other room).
Dream Team was the first time Bowser got to work mano-a-mano with another villain. Add in the fact that, unlike say Fawful or the Shroobs, Antasma didn't really have any forces (or ways to get them) or anything outside of his powers and it becomes clear how Bowser was able to one-up him.

Bowser has exactly 3 roles when it comes to these games.

Main Villain
Minor Villain
Villain Protagonist.

If I had my way he'd only have 2 of these, any other case he'd just be absent altogether.

Mcmadness said:
Bowser has exactly 3 roles when it comes to these games.

Main Villain
Minor Villain
Villain Protagonist.

If I had my way he'd only have 2 of these, any other case he'd just be absent altogether.
I don't mind Bowser showing up, I just have a problem when he's either getting worfed or is there just because.
He can be a minor villain, just don't use lose to the other villains all the time. That's the kind of stuff that attracts the "Bowser isn't threatening" crowd, despite other games making it clear that he's surprisingly competent at taking over places (including the Mushroom Kingdom if Mario & Luigi don't interfere).

I find him not being there is a simple solution to that problem.

Mcmadness said:
I find him not being there is a simple solution to that problem.
Part of me kinda wonders if people will miss his writing though.
Then again, the people who want a villain that's not Bowser probably outweigh that faction.

Would Bowser not being a main villain be like some random yahoo fighting Bowser?

ThatGuy62 said:
Part of me kinda wonders if people will miss his writing though.
Then again, the people who want a villain that's not Bowser probably outweigh that faction.

I always miss Bowser when he isn't there, however that doesn't mean I want him there all the time at the expense of his character.

People always think I hate any villain that isn't Bowser, thats not true. I hate the villains that I think are boring and I hate how they'd always treat Bowser like some kind of 2nd class loser when somebody else is around when that somebody else really isn't doing anything he himself hasn't done or is incapable of doing.

You want to have new badguys in the rpgs? Fine, go nuts, I'm fine with that, so long as Bowser ain't there and the villain isn't shit.

Luigi's Mansion seems to understand this, I don't see why the rpgs don't.

Mcmadness said:
I hate how they'd always treat Bowser like some kind of 2nd class loser when somebody else is around when that somebody else really isn't doing anything he himself hasn't done or is incapable of doing.

Sounds like self-insert fanfic to me.

That honking from Mario Kart Wii should return.

It's always sounds great when the horn goes into crazy or plays that little Super Mario Bros. tune.

Just as long as the horn can play when you're 1st player.

Back