post any random Mario thought on your mind

One minor nitpick I have about Paper Mario 64 is that it's too dark. Not in tone, in actual color. Not sure why that is, it's not a N64 issue since other games are perfectly bright and vibrant. And some areas in PM are fittingly bright (namely Flower Fields once you get the sun back in the sky, and Shy Guy's Toybox) but a lot of the sprites are dull in color which was vastly improved in TTYD.

I really noticed it in part because I had played both TTYD and Super Paper Mario before I played it. And even the area in TTYD (Chapter 4) that's supposed to be dark by nature still seems more vibrant than a lot of stuff in the first game. It's something I think should definitely be improved in a remake. If they somehow started caring enough to even make one.

I think Paper Mario 64 is bright possibly because of the TV monitors at the time being, well, as I remember, blurry and I myself didn't notice the dark colors until I saw the ripped sprites.

I like the the structure of Paper Mario's sprite in the first game more than the later games. The legs and arms actually feel like they're part of Mario's body rather than pegged onto Mario's body.

At least TTYD and Super have fluid motion with Mario's feet instead of 2 static frames like in Sticker Star.

It's been too long since I played 64, so I don't remember the walking animation from that game.

So I've been playing a whole bunch of Breath of the Wild and with each gameplay session my love for the game grows. I want a Mario game to revolutionize the series the way BOTW has done for Zelda. Maybe Odyssey will do that.

I don't know exactly what revolutionary means for Mario, but I want the same level of detail put into a Mario title. And difficulty. I've been loving the difficulty in BOTW.

Do you appreciate the lack of lives and Game Overs? I myself love this change. I'd imagine it's at least an attempt at breaking mold with the older games. But yeah, BOTW, I love for breaking standards and Mario Odyssey seems to be doing the same for its emphasis on ambience and exploration and no Game Overs.

Game overs have been meaningless for a while now, anyways. I just hope this means that the challenges are actually challenging, since there isn't a concern about prioritising lives anymore.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Do you appreciate the lack of lives and Game Overs? I myself love this change. I'd imagine it's at least an attempt at breaking mold with the older games. But yeah, BOTW, I love for breaking standards and Mario Odyssey seems to be doing the same for its emphasis on ambience and exploration and no Game Overs.
Yes, I'm already a huge fan of the live system being removed. More stuff like this please.

Instead they take our money.

So instead of taking our lives, they are taking our livelihood.

Not a problem in a game series where you can bash blocks and get rich quick.

Baby Luigi said:
Not a problem in a game series where you can bash blocks and get rich quick.
When there are items (Gold Flower) that can literally produce a ridiculous amount of the area's local money, you really have to wonder how in the world the Mushroom Kingdom's economy is still afloat. Are they constantly being bailed out by Sarasaland and Bowser's kingdom?

Have you seen the exchange rate for Beanbean Kingdom and Mushroom Kingdom? That explains everything.

I think Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga took place after New Super Mario Bros. 2.

I used to think New Super Mario Bros. 2 took place after Dream Team, since that game ended with raining coins and the radius of that could've stretched to the Mushroom Kingdom (it stretched over the ocean where Bowser was) but that's a nice idea too.

Monster said:
Mario is paying for a second chance at life. If he dies when broke, THEN it's game over.
Except when he dies with less than 10 coins, he seems to respawn as normal.

I like how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gave the CPU more kart parts to play with. They use everything besides the GLA stuff now.

memoryman3 said:
I like how Mario Kart 8 Deluxe gave the CPU more kart parts to play with. They use everything besides the GLA stuff now.

Mario Kart 7 did it better, where CPUs can pretty much use ALL bodies except the male characters don't use the Birthday Girl. CPUs do have a "favorite" part too, but it's simply a higher chance of using it rather than exclusively sticking to it.

Still, Baby Luigi on a Mr. Scooty is adorable.

Baby Luigi said:
Wait, is that the Computer's combination? That's funny cuz I've started using Baby Luigi on the Mr. Scooty for 200cc with Cushion Tires and I think either the Super Glider or the Hylian Kite.

Monster said:
Yeah I know. I was messing :)
maybe not

maybe at this point, there's a replacement Mario and he looks the same but he's actually not

Luigi 64DD said:
Baby Luigi said:
Wait, is that the Computer's combination? That's funny cuz I've started using Baby Luigi on the Mr. Scooty for 200cc with Cushion Tires and I think either the Super Glider or the Hylian Kite.

One of them

I don't know the rest other than the un-landworthy body the Biddybuggy

I make a statement by making Mario ride the Birthday Girl AND the Prancer.

Monster said:
I used to think New Super Mario Bros. 2 took place after Dream Team, since that game ended with raining coins and the radius of that could've stretched to the Mushroom Kingdom (it stretched over the ocean where Bowser was) but that's a nice idea too.
My headcanon placement for New Super Mario Bros. 2 in the timeline is right before the Super Mario Land games and he uses the one million coins to buy Mario Land.

So out of boredom I decided to watch some of the super mario bros super show.

Good lord this cartoon is even more whacked than I imagined.

Back