post any random Mario thought on your mind

J-Yoshi64 said:
And more friendly NPCs than just Toads. Give us some friendly Koopas, for crying out loud.

CS had those. Not in mass quantities but it had em.

The Mad Piano is actually very known for being "scary", though it's mostly a jump-scare type thing rather than it being genuinely scary.

I remember the Eel being more scary as a kid then the piano was.

Mcmadness said:
J-Yoshi64 said:
And more friendly NPCs than just Toads. Give us some friendly Koopas, for crying out loud.

CS had those. Not in mass quantities but it had em.
Eh, I'd see the friendly mook types in CS as more "enemies who aren't trying to kill you" than friendly. They still work for Bowser, aren't independent or anything, just aren't currently under direct order to attack. Still a huge step back from the villages of friendly mooks in the first 2 games.

The scariest thing in SM64 for me was actually not any enemy in particular, it was drowning in water levels. That animation looked so unpleasant and being the shit player I was when I first played it, it happened often enough for me to dread going underwater. Also, the levels that are in the sky, because I'm scared of heights IRL. These don't really bother me anymore of course but when they happened a lot due to my shit gameplay when I was a kid, yeah. The piano scared me once then I never returned to that room for a long time, basically skipping any star that required it lol.

Baby Luigi said:
The Mad Piano is actually very known for being "scary", though it's mostly a jump-scare type thing rather than it being genuinely scary.

The Super Mario series isn't exactly known for doing horror anyway. Even Luigi's Mansion is more about comedy and comic relief than actual horror that you'd find in the true horror games.

The online blog thing Cracked did a piece with Eyebrawl regarding how scary it is and I found it funny.

I found it funny too when I read it. As a kid, I wasn't scared of that ending at all, and even was like, "Haha! Look at Wario getting bullied by the eyes!"

Supreme Commander Fawful of the Digital Candy Troll Kingdom said:
Eh, I'd see the friendly mook types in CS as more "enemies who aren't trying to kill you" than friendly. They still work for Bowser, aren't independent or anything, just aren't currently under direct order to attack. Still a huge step back from the villages of friendly mooks in the first 2 games.

Well the game never does outright say whether they are friendly mooks or just guys of the species hangin out.

But you are correct where there is no big towns full of em or anything.

Supreme Commander Fawful of the Digital Candy Troll Kingdom said:
The scariest thing in SM64 for me was actually not any enemy in particular, it was drowning in water levels. That animation looked so unpleasant and being the *bleep* player I was when I first played it, it happened often enough for me to dread going underwater.
I remember doing this to Yoshi.

I burst out laughing.

Time Turner said:
3y0K2Ky.png

mario caused the fall of the berlin wall

does the NES version of Marios Time Machine live up to the sub-series reputation of high quality

Glowsquid said:
does the NES version of Marios Time Machine live up to the sub-series reputation of high quality
Less funny dialogue (less characters altogether), but more claiming that Mario was responsible for every historical event.

09S1fk8.png
BvA8Jv5.png
2p2GAKj.png
WbHpKQG.png
IuseVQb.png
AnxtT5Y.png
LUsIQfK.png

that's right, mario planted the flag on the moon

Also, they have Kaizo Blocks, as in invisible blocks that make it impossible to reach certain areas (which often tell you exactly what you need to do). This game is a platformer.

Well we all know all of this is just common knowledge....why should I question it? Can't argue with a children's edutainment game from the 90's.

LUsIQfK.png

too bad it hasn't fazed the conspiracy theorists

A friend brought this up on another forum but of all the ridiculous places in the Super Show, Crime Land is one of the most baffling.
Like, who in their right mind would want to go to Crime Land, it's like going to Planet Death, what are you expecting, irony?

Death Valley can be a pretty national park, despite the sweltering heat.

1280px-Death_Valley_Gerea_canescens.jpg

So out of boredom I've been replaying TTYD lately.

I forgot how shit Grodus was as a villain.

Yeah I'll agree with that, Crump is pretty funny.

Plus you know, Grodus isn't the REAL villain of the game anyhow.

Edit: Well having finished TTYD again for what feels like, the 100th time I can safely say I still prefer the first one.

dBjNedF.png

i'm so meta even this what is this nonsense

I slogged through ugly graphics, monotonous gameplay, a ludicrous plot, an unlikeable and moronic protagonist, the same five annoying voice actors, and glaring errors and oversimplifications for what is supposed to be an educational game. I went through twenty-four levels of the same thing with different coats of paint, over and over and over, doing the most mundanely insane tasks. I bought a backscratcher from one of Beethoven's fanatics. I stole Anne Hathaway's handkerchief. I gave ice cream to one of George Washington Carver's students. I rescued a cat from Julius Caesar. I entertained the Khan of the Mongol Empire with fireworks. I went through all of that nonsense just to unlock the hidden, 25th level that only appears after beating every other level. And what do I get? The final level, the last completely mandatory and completely unavoidable section of this trainwreck, is a self-servicing, self-insert fanfiction where all of the game's developers are so lazy that they force Mario to be their pack mule for them, just like every single other level in the rest of their game. Instead of polishing the game's artwork so that humans actually looked like people and not mutated Play-Doh models, instead of improving the game's writing so that Mario wasn't a braindead imbecile and the historical figures that Mario actually met weren't stereotypical one-liner machines, instead of designing a way for Mario to travel back in time without surfboarding, they had the gall to not only draw, voice, and write themselves into their own game instead of another historical figure they'd no doubt butcher, but they dedicated time and effort into inane background art and animations. Other levels, at most, has a flickering flame or a couple of tiny birds on a roof; this level has a van that opens its side, letting confetti fly out, then drives around the building, only to repeat this process. This is not rewarding to the player: at best, the five-year-old that's supposed to be playing this would have no idea who these people are and why all of them are fine with Mario existing in the "real world", and at worst, it's a cruel slap to the face after already being beaten and pummeled to pieces, the glorious insult to injury that this game did not need in the slightest, making the player crawl their way through the rest of the player just to watch the developers pat themselves on the back for such a gloriousjob well done. In a better game, the final level would have been either a challenging test of the player's knowledge or a relaxing jaunt through a simple but charming level. Instead, we get more of the same, and after beating the level, it's the same ending from the SNES version.

Mario's Time Machine is easily one of the worst Mario games I have ever played, if not one of the worst games I have ever played period.

edit: calming down, calming down

You should make an entire thread devoted towards this.

Back