discuss: sourcing names

Glowsquid said:
why are you so much better than me at finding scans of strategy guides jesus fucking christ
It's simply a matter of knowing where to look. ;)

I'm going to request a source for Twilighter. According to the talk page, they're called that by Goombella at some point, but that's extremely vague and doesn't suffice at all. Same with them calling themselves human.

Well, JPN Wikipedia is a lot harder to edit than the English one. But I did find a good chunk of the Minigame names and item names from the Japanese websites, despite being the minimalist versions. Then I ran them through a translator, both my brain and Google Translate, to make sense of the names.

(This technically falls under this scope, right?)

There are a couple of articles on Paper Mario items that claim that they had different names in beta, like the Scarf and the Bucket. The info was added by Phoenix Rider, so I doubt it's a lie, but for the life of me, I cannot find anything to source the fact that it's from beta. At the same time, the names pop up constantly online, in lists from both databases and forum discussion, and I have the Paper Mario Official Guide that uses these names as well, even though the Bucket is never called the Marvelous Bucket in-game at any point. Where in the world did these names come from, and why are they so prevalent?

(no clue lol)

Walkazo's update above to Mariowiki:Citation is perfect and I needed to link to it for another user, so updated the page.

and then I brainfarted and forgot to input the proper writer credits, jesus christ.

Shulk said:
(This technically falls under this scope, right?)

There are a couple of articles on Paper Mario items that claim that they had different names in beta, like the Scarf and the Bucket. The info was added by Phoenix Rider, so I doubt it's a lie, but for the life of me, I cannot find anything to source the fact that it's from beta. At the same time, the names pop up constantly online, in lists from both databases and forum discussion, and I have the Paper Mario Official Guide that uses these names as well, even though the Bucket is never called the Marvelous Bucket in-game at any point. Where in the world did these names come from, and why are they so prevalent?
When it comes to people discussing the game, I don't think they will remember the long name from the guide and forget the simple name in the game itself. I don't have a clue whether this is a beta name, or maybe a regional difference between the american version (which most people use and 99.99% of English let's plays on the internet is) and the European (PAL) version. However, I'm not sure.

If you wanna spend time watching videos and playthroughs, and wanna differentiate between the NTSC-U and the PAL versions, just keep an eye out for the title screen, the PAL version has a languages option which is obviously absent from the NTSC-U.

Megadardery said:
When it comes to people discussing the game, I don't think they will remember the long name from the guide and forget the simple name in the game itself. I don't have a clue whether this is a beta name, or maybe a regional difference between the american version (which most people use and 99.99% of English let's plays on the internet is) and the European (PAL) version. However, I'm not sure.

If you wanna spend time watching videos and playthroughs, and wanna differentiate between the NTSC-U and the PAL versions, just keep an eye out for the title screen, the PAL version has a languages option which is obviously absent from the NTSC-U.
There really aren't that many playthroughs online of the game, whether PAL or NTSC, and the ones I did find had "Bucket" and "Scarf". I also doubt that everyone picked up a copy of the guidebook from 2000 and remembered, let alone looked at, the names it used in one of the many lists at the back of the book a few years later. The preliminary source for the names seems to be the guide, but there's a post from a Neoseeker forum back in 2005 that says early versions of the game had different names than later copies (with no source of course because that would be too easy), and a user that seems to be Finnish says that his copy uses the names. At this point, this is a rabbit hole I want to get out of; can I just get away with saying that "Marvelous Bucket" and whatnot are alternate names and leave it at that?

...Shit.

God dammit, god dammit, god dammit, god freaking dammit.

Ce0M6tr.png

This is from the actual manual of Superstar Saga. This clearly lists the names for what is currently Mouse Mario and Mole Luigi, and in fact, it's called Luigi Dunk.

I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed with the fact that I didn't look at the manual or the fact that Luigi should stick to a basketball game.

i'm too frustrated by this revelation to make the changes now

Well, that's what happens when game manuals are so old, no one can recall them anymore.

Now, somebody just has to move them back. Somebody with page deletion powers.

EDIT: The link changing and all has been done, so don't sweat it.

i swear that name probably came from the nintendo power super mario 64 guide

i owned it and i recall that that was one of the names for it

I thought it was "Fortepiano".

I don't think I have it anymore it was such a long time ago since I last saw it

Does anyone have a source for Hawkmouth? The SMB2 guide calls it a "Mask Gate" throughout the guide, the All-Stars guide either doesn't state a name at all or the name is buried between extraneous text, and the closest the manual comes to describing it is "a mask that becomes a gate". The name popped up at the very least since 2005 in a GameFAQs guide, so I'm not sure if that's legitimate of if it's a fan name that's lost the "fan" part over time.

I'll take the general silence as a "no".

Question: should I attach images alongside my book sources? As a way of clearly verifying them and whatnot. It'd be a bit tedious to go through my past edits, but I'd be willing to do it if there's a general consensus.

Sure, if you're willing and as long as it doesn't result in the entire books getting uploaded (even if the pages would all be scattered about as refs, best to be safe than sorry). The refs can be formatted like this:

<ref>Walk K. 2008. ''Bowser and the Attack of MM294'', [[Media:BowserMM294.png|pg 1]].</ref>

(the "Media" makes it a link, not an imbedded image (Looks like "Another reference!" here (User:Walkazo#Useful_Things))

All of the names for the Hint Block are unsourced, so I've been looking through various guides and manuals for information. So far...

Hint Block - ???
Message Block - SMW Manual, SMW2 Guide and Manual, SMA3 Manual, YS Manual, YIDS Manual, YNI Manual
Chatter Box - ???
Tip Block - ???
Face Block - SMBD Manual (even though the article says it's called a Hint Block...)

Does anyone have sources for the other names?

The SMBD blocks aren't even hint-dispelling blocks - they just look like the Yoshi's Island blocks and got shoved in there, but they act completely different. I'd say split them out as a standalone "Face Block" article. It's also looking like the Hint Block page for the actual hint blocks should get renamed to Message Block, especially if YNI calls it that, which is probably the latest appearance.

I wonder... does Paper Jorge have the manual to King of Swing? I mean the "Bat" name for the Flip-Flaps seems too generic. Perhaps we might find some answers from a former RARE employee who worked on DK64 like what was done with the enemies from VB Wario Land?

~DKC lore guru ~ Leigh Loveday was asked about the DK64 enemy names by fansite DK Vine and his response was essentially "Those guys have no name. Go crazy."

Back