discuss: sourcing names

Does anyone have a source for the names of the Wario Woods bosses, like Boom and Fauster? For a while, they had their Japanese names (which seem to be universally recognized though I can't find a source for them either), but then a user named ST Falcon moved all of them to what he called their "Americanized" name, and our wiki seems to be the only one that recognizes these names. I'd ask the user himself, but he doesn't seem to be rather active currently.

I found a scan of the NES manual online and they're not named in it. The bosses are named in the JP manual - you can find a download here.

I'd say revert the moves for now and leave a message to the user. This is exactly the kind of bullshit I was talking about in the OP.
I'm a fucking moron.

Mega Urchin is called "Big Urchin" according to the trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

move it or create a redirect?

Smash trophies have had a track record of not always being accurate, but there doesn't exactly appear to be a source for Mega Urchin... Let's wait to see if someone has a prima guide for Mario Wii or Mario U.

yeah

if f you can provide a page number and author for proper citation, that'd be p. cool.

The author is Fernando Bueno, and the page# is 15.

Dumb question: what's the actual format for citing Prima? All the articles that I've looked at seem to have different ways of going about it.

the suggested format on Mariowiki: Refefrences is:

Nose, Atuhor (Daet of Publication). Naem of publication. Paeg number. Naem of Publisher. Retrieved Daet of Fiding Stuff.

... I noticed the example on the page still uses the laughably unsufficient "According to the [naem of book"] format. Methink we should rewrite that.

the example provided is for web pages, granted, but I don't see how it could not be adapted for print publications in the manner i posted above

or just write it in mla format if you're not sure, jesus

*MarioWiki:Citation Policy (MW:REF is about refs to the Mario series)

A retrieval date's not necessary for printed works, just online stuff (but if you find a book online, then you can add the date and/or website, unless it's Google books or something where the url is lines of garbled letters and numbers, in which case just say it's Google books or whatever).

I personally prefer APA over MLA because I mostly do science writing, but the only real difference to what you said earlier is that the page number goes at the end (which I like because then it's easier to pick out, rather than being wedged between the title and the publication stuff that no one cares about anyway and which folks probably won't bother including).

And yeah, MW:CITATION could use a bit of work with the examples.

I've come across a Prima guide for Donkey Kong 64, which has a bunch of enemies that currently have conjectural names on the wiki. I can post the scans if anyone wants them.

Edit: Because these names are rather nonstandard, I'm going to post the scans now.

K7gj1YD.png
0WsJ81A.png

Cool, thanks for posting the scans! It's sorta inconvenient the Prima Guide names were found before Nintendo Power's, but (substandard) official material is Better than Nothing.

Are the "Super Block" and "Ruler" enemies (and the Toy Monster while we're at it) named anywhere in the guide?

I actually have the Nintendo Power guide as well, but as far as I can tell, it's nothing but "here's how you go here/collect this" and certainly doesn't have a list of enemies. Prima seems to be the same thing; besides the list of enemies at the start, it's nothing but a collect-a-thon. I'll try to look at individual sections to see if they're mentioned. Since Toy Monster happens to have a Golden Banana, it was the first one I checked for. According to the guides, Toy Monster is called a "huge enemy" by Prima and a "giant toy terror" by Nintendo. Helpful.

Edit: Super Blocks and Rulers, if I'm attributing the names to the correct things, are called "toys" by Prima and "angry playthings" by Nintendo, so that's a bust. Anything else you'd like me to check?

Nothing comes to mind at the moment. Thanks for obliging ^_^!

This echange did remind me there's a a wayback archive of Nintendo's old DK64 website and turns out the Toy Monster is named in there.

I'm definitely going to have to scan through the site to see if there are any conflicts. This'll be very handy, thanks!

Actually, I've just caught something: for Flip-Flap, the site, Prima, and Nintendo all refer to it as "Bat". The manuals use lowercase for it, but the site capitalizes it, so do we move it?

All of them are english sources while the "Flip-Flap" name is allegedly from a non-english source and is, as usual, unsourced.

Kinda lame this means we occasionally have to move lame and non-descript names, but heh.

Walkazo said:
And yeah, MW:CITATION could use a bit of work with the examples.
To this end, how about changing the example to this (bolded the first instance of the citation; also, I trimmed out some of the distracting side-info from the example paragraph):

===Using the reference system===
Take the [[Bowser Crush]] article as an example. It features a paragraph of information which was not present in the game at all, but came from Nintendo's official guide. A reference is given in the first sentence of this paragraph:
<blockquote>The giant Mecha-Koopa used for the attack was developed by [[Koopa]] researchers for several months in a top-secret laboratory located deep within [[Bowser's Castle|Bowser's Keep]]<ref>Arakawa, M. 1996. ''Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Nintendo Player's Guide'', pg 30.</ref> The giant Mecha-Koopa was finished just as the [[Smithy Gang]] invaded Bowser's Keep and the [[Mushroom Kingdom]].</blockquote>
The end of the page features the reference section, where the reader can see the source of this text:
<blockquote id="note"><references/></blockquote>
When looking at the code of this example, you can see that the content of the note is not given at the end of the article under the ''References'' header, but directly in the text:
<pre>The gigantic Bowser Crush Mecha-Koopa was developed by [[Koopa]]
researchers in a top-secret laboratory located deep within [[Bowser's Keep]]
<ref>Arakawa, M. 1996. ''Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Nintendo Player's Guide'', pg 30.</ref>.</pre>
The end of the article, the ''Reference'' header, just features a single line:
<pre>==References==
<references/></pre>
As you can see, the reference given between the <tt><nowiki><ref></ref></nowiki></tt> text is automatically placed at wherever <tt><nowiki><references/></nowiki></tt> is put in the text. This allows you to keep the overview of where you have put your sources. You do not have to care about the links that are provided to the footnote, they are automatically created by the system.

Please note that I got the author's name from Amazon, couldn't find publisher info, and totally made that page number up.

One thing is certain about some of the renamed pages for the DK 64 enemies using the Prima names: the translations are off. I had to go back and fix the translations since whoever changed the page names also changed all instances of the word that was changed. And for that matter, I kinda cheated a bit with where the term "Toy Kritter" coming from. I found it on the Japanese Wikipedia page (which is somehow even more accurate and more descriptive than its English counterpart as the Japanese DK64 site yeilds nothing. But I was not lying about the paragraph. It said "They are known as Toy Kritters in overseas versions".

Walkazo said:
Please note that I got the author's name from Amazon, couldn't find publisher info, and totally made that page number up.
The publisher is actually Arakawa, Kent Miller is credited as the "Staff Writer" (Scott Pelland is the senior writer/editor, if that helps), and the page no. is 13. The internet is a bastion of information.

why are you so much better than me at finding scans of strategy guides jesus fucking christ

I found it on the Japanese Wikipedia page (which is somehow even more accurate and more descriptive than its English counterpart as the Japanese DK64 site yeilds nothing.

Is that your source for all the other Japanese names?

Back