discuss: sourcing names

There's some guy going around adding Japanese names to a bunch of pages without giving a source, and when I added refneeded tags, he removed them saying "The name is written on Japanese guide." in his edit reasons. Interestingly enough, he also added a dubious claim to the Baby Park article. I gave a refneeded tag to that, which he removed with the reason "The technique is written on Japanese guide.". Yeah. Anyone want to make sure he's not pulling a Mecha-Boss Unit?

I messaged the user in question, but for next time, keep in mind it's generally adviseable to 1: provide links to the exchange in question and 2: message the guy directly if you see he's doing something wrong. Public shaming and warning admins should only be done if the users keep up problematic behaviour after being told about them.

Per Glowsquid. Also, it's better to assume good faith rather than potentially driving away users with hard-to-find info by immediately lumping them in with scumbag trolls over things like odd edits that can largely be chalked up to language barrier issues, and a failure to appreciate the citation system - which is frankly a problem most of the userbase has.

Grabbed the "Nintendo DS Pocket Guide" off of Amazon, which is basically a condensed guide to New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart DS, Super Mario 64 DS, and Mario Party DS. I'll compare the wiki and the guide for stuff, but is there anything in particular anyone would like me to check?

edit: hah it calls the koopas "koopa troopers"

Can you confirm if it's the source of the "Super-Whomp" bullshit?

Glowsquid said:
Can you confirm if it's the source of the "Super-Whomp" bullshit?
The guide only says "Look for the rope by the Whomp," which I assume refers to the Big Whomp (inconsistencies, in my Mario series?). I don't see any mention of a "Super-Whomp". what does the "bullshit" refer to?

Binarystep said:
So, I was wondering, does anyone have the Yoshi's Island DS Prima guide? It may be where most of the unsourced names are from.
I have acquired a copy! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a big enemy list, but leafing through the pages will certainly help. Any enemies in particular to start off (preferably also with the levels they appear in)?

This is a question I've been meaning to ask for a while, but when do we make a distinction between generic terms and actual names? I'm asking this now especially because I've come across an "abridged" guide to the GB Donkey Kong in the "Super Game Boy Nintendo Player's Guide", which calls the ladybug enemies "ladybugs" (Dotty on the wiki), the alligator enemies "alligators" (Snapjaw), the crab enemies "crabs (Kānyī), and so on. The guide is nowhere to being complete, so there's not much else I can offer. They're all not capitalized and are generally only used once or twice. I've made a couple of moves that involve similar conditions, but the names are used frequently and constantly enough. For this, though... where's the dividing line?

I generally feel like it's better to say/assume things are proper nouns for consistency. It looks better for passages and lists, and avoids confusion over how to link to multi-word names.

Back