discuss: sourcing names

Who would support the creation of a creation of a template and category asking for specifc page numbeers on vague citations (like this)? There are a lot of page whose name supposedly come "from the Prima guide", but nothing more specific than that.

It'd be ideal if people just include the damn page numbers in the first place, but a {{pageneeded}} template slapped behind the existing vague refs would definitely be better than removing them, awkwardly using {{refneeded}} or simply ignoring them and making it look like we're fine with people half-assing it.

Maybe a more generic {{pleaseexplain}} template so we can cover not only page numbers, but other vague claims about things?

Missing page numbers is really the only problem ref I can think of off the top of my head. Youtube vids (playthroughs, cartoon/movie clips, etc.) being used as refs for isolated lines are handier with timestamps, but if you care that much, you can find the time yourself instead of adding a tag and letting it be someone else's concern, whereas if you don't own the guide, all you could do is flag it. If a website ref is useless, find something better, or if you can't, just remove it and replace it with {{refneeded}}. I'm sure there's other types of refs around, but those three are the main ones we deal with (I think).

I was tempted on putting please explain tags mainly because the wording can be off sometimes. I think one time, one beta element regarding Luigi's Mansion was, like, "Luigi must rescue Mario before the timer runs out or he will turn into a ghost", and my question is, "who's 'he'?" I can't exactly specify where I actually put a [please explain] or [who?] templates there, but I do vaguely recall quite a few times where I did this.

But it's probably another discussion since it doesn't have to do with names. :P

Perhaps an {{unclear}} template, since that's usually the sorta thing I put in edit summaries when I remove unintelligible stuff. I just worry that it'll end up overused, and sorta prefer just removing crap info rather than having misleading or poorly written stuff lying around, tagged or otherwise: either way, it looks bad and lowers our credibility.

I created the {{pageneeded}} template and category.

Also, anybody would happen to have the URL for the Wario World official site (not the development portal one)? this gamefaqs guide claims to have taken the boss names from the official site, some of which are different from the ones we currently use.

I found this, which (judging by the URL) is the official EU site, but the site is incredibly slow. I'm currently waiting for what claims to be a "boss" page to load. The NA site has seemingly been transformed into a software and development site, so no luck on that end.

Edit: just loaded. Boss 1 is "a reptilian goliath," lower-case and all, boss 2 is the "Big Scorper," boss 3 is "DinoMighty," boss 4 is the "Brawl Doll," etc. Basically, the GameFAQs guide is right.

The manual for Wario World has this to say about Mr. Wario's Golden Statue, which it lists under the header "Gold Statue":

[quote author=Wario]
Hey! Who the heck named this sub-header anyway! It's not Gold Statues, it's Mr. Wario's Gold Statues, you idiotic game staff morons!
[/quote]

Right off the bat, our name's wrong (Gold, not Golden). The other time they're mentioned, it simply says "Gold Statue" (for the record, the site uses "Wario Statue" because Nintendo hates us), so which name should we be using?

I'd say "Gold Statue", since the full name seems more of a joke than a serious title. Also, fun fact: the page was originally "Mr. Wario's Gold Statue" but was renamed shortly after creation (by a Sysop) for some reason. I wonder if different localization called it different things or something...

I remember someone back in the days buying the Nintendo Power guide to upload artwork for the more obscure enemies, but since the quality standards were so low back then, it's probable he didn't also check the names.

either way, added to the OP.

I'm thinking about grabbing a Prima guide online to help with wiki stuff and whatnot. Is there any guide in particular I should grab? The site only uploads guides from 2009 onward.

Edit: This means New Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U, Mario Party 9, Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Donkey Kong Returns 3D, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It's hard, but is there a game where we don't have enough screenshots of? Prima guide might help supplementing screenshots or other illustrations.

I'm not sure if that's viable: on my copy of the NSMBW guide, most of the screenshots are both tiny and low-quality, and the artwork is similarly low-quality. It could be different for the other ones, but I'm not aware of that yet. If I don't have a definite "pick this" answer, I'll flip-flop between NSMBU (if only to settle the "Boss Sumo Bro" debacle) and SM3DW (the most recent game).

In the end, I bought the eguide for NSMBU. I was planning on using it for sources, but there aren't actually any pages; everything is organized by tabs, so you have all of Acorn Plains under one tab, all the enemies under one tab, etc. How would I use the guide as a source on the wiki?

Walkazo said:
Just say it's the eguide and say "enemies tab" or whatever.
Got it.
Mario Party Σ said:
It's hard, but is there a game where we don't have enough screenshots of? Prima guide might help supplementing screenshots or other illustrations.
As it turns out, the eguide has maps of every course of every world, including overworld shots, but is it okay for me to grab the images? The wiki's non-profit, but considering the content's behind a paywall...

Maps are very good to have. And they're still just a sample of what the guide has (whereas something like screencapping every tab like how oldschool guides are scanned and uploaded on other sites, would be going beyond our coverage). I think it would be okay.

Now that I remembered something, I don't think uploading the level maps is a good idea.

I remember Prima asked a site hosting game manuals and strategy guide scans to take down all their Prima material, and most of it was old and obscure stuff. Uploading a selling point for a guide of a popular game they're still selling is not safe at all.

If we uploaded all the images, they'd probably be unhappy, but picking and choosing a few key pieces of art to fill gaps in the material we already have obtained from other sources would probably be okay. I wouldn't bother with screenshots at all: we generally manage to amass libraries of screencaps well enough on our own without resorting to rips or scans from guides.

Walkazo said:
If we uploaded all the images, they'd probably be unhappy, but picking and choosing a few key pieces of art to fill gaps in the material we already have obtained from other sources would probably be okay. I wouldn't bother with screenshots at all: we generally manage to amass libraries of screencaps well enough on our own without resorting to rips or scans from guides.
It might work for screencaps that are otherwise difficult to obtain at passing quality, though. The screencaps I obtain require emulators and ISOs, something I don't openly advocate other users doing too. With Prima, you're paying for the content anyway, but as long as you're not taking away their potential profit, there shouldn't be anything wrong.

I have the nintendo power nsmb guide. I'll check it when I'm back from my shift.

edit: ok, it's in there. I added the ref.

Back