Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

I think Ganondorf is pretty badass in Melee. It's just Brawl and later he looks like a complete fool.

IKR? And his up smash too, I liked the Melee one more.

And there's the voice.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I think Ganondorf is pretty badass in Melee. It's just Brawl and later he looks like a complete fool.
To be fair to Brawl, there was still Subspace Emissary.

GalacticPetey said:
His pathetic run animation in Brawl and Smash 4 just about sums it up, doesn't it?
He's the king of evil, not the king of jogging.

GalacticPetey said:
If they wanted to keep his run speed slow, they should have just had him hover like Mewtwo.

Ironically, Mewtwo dashes faster than Sheik in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

I really think Lucina should return for Smash 5. She became unexpectedly popular and is basically one of the faces of her franchise, and they can easily turn her into a semi-clone like they did for Roy. If she is cut, it's no big deal, they can have her return as DLC if demand is high enough, or have another FE female like Lyn as a more favorable replacement.

LeftyGreenMario said:

Agreed, the cloned moveset fit the fledgling OoT Ganondorf a lot better than the TP Ganondorf we got in Brawl and SSB4.

Lucina is a lightweight addition. I don't think she's going to go either due to her popularity. Having a unique moveset didn't stop Mewtwo, Wolf, Squirtle, Snake, Ice Climbers, Lucas, or Ivysaur from being cut (though Mewtwo and Lucas were readded later) and probably was a reason they were cut to begin with.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Lucina is a lightweight addition. I don't think she's going to go either due to her popularity. Having a unique moveset didn't stop Mewtwo, Wolf, Squirtle, Snake, Ice Climbers, Lucas, or Ivysaur from being cut (though Mewtwo and Lucas were readded later) and probably was a reason they were cut to begin with.

I actually imagine that Corrin is more likely to be cut than Lucina. Smash is an arm for advertising different Nintendo franchises and characters; Corrin is extremely polarizing in their own games, while Lucina is more widely loved since all the arguments about "roster slot filler" and "Sakurai bias" hold no sway in FE, and it's easily to tweak Marth's moveset slightly than to reprogram Corrin's entire, extremely unique moveset. Lucina is easily the most popular character from the most popular game (though Ike and Lyn seem to edge her out for the series as a whole).

Lucina even started off as a costume for Marth so, worst case scenario, they can just do that again.
Out of the Fire Emblem characters not named Marth, Lucina seems the most safe to me.

I want Smash 5 to cut the “anime style” humanoid characters to allow for better roster variety. Shulk stands out fo me because of his origin.

But that's part of the beauty of Smash Bros. So many different art styles and franchises clashing. I mean, just look at this.

SSB4_-_Ike_Reveal_2.jpg

Cutting characters just for how they look is pretty dumb reasoning. Characters should be included for relevancy and moveset potential. Just cause Shulk looks like he's from an anime doesn't make him less of a relevant Nintendo character, especially since his series has become a lot more mainstream since his debut.

It also really annoys me when people want the more "mature" characters like Snake, Bayonetta, Cloud, or Ryu gone. Again, having characters like that alongside Mario and Kirby is part of the beauty of Smash.

In fact, I want more cartoon characters and animals and less realistic adult humans so I can compare them to rosters of many other fighting games and then gloat, saying, "See, at least Smash Bros. has some 2D stick figure, a cartoony quack doctor, a dog, a dragon, a circle thing, a bunch of kids, a robot that's not shaped like a human, and even a magical white aborted cat fetus."

J-Yoshi64 said:
Realistic and cartoonish right next to each other, you say?

800px-SMO_Sand_Moon_31.png

Comparing Mario to the Ruined Dragon would probably be a better option, especially since the latter looks more like something you'd encounter in the Bayonetta franchise.

MnSG said:
J-Yoshi64 said:
Realistic and cartoonish right next to each other, you say?

800px-SMO_Sand_Moon_31.png

Comparing Mario to the Ruined Dragon would probably be a better option, especially since the latter looks more like something you'd encounter in the Bayonetta franchise.
I'm pretty sure dogs are more realistic than dragons...

The dragon was still designed with realistic elements in mind, such as overly detailed textures and scales, though.

Baby Luigi said:
The dragon was still designed with realistic elements in mind, such as overly detailed textures and scales, though.

Yeah, when you compare the Ruined Dragon to most of the other dragons in the Mario universe, it feels way out of place; even Gobblegut feels cartoonish in nature.

In the end though, the Super Smash Bros. series does use a mix between cartoonish and realistic designs.

Anime does add roster variety though.....if you cut all anime characters, you'll have *less* variety

It, in the end, is a Japanese-made game series anyway.

Baby Luigi said:
Anime does add roster variety though.....if you cut all anime characters, you'll have *less* variety

It, in the end, is a Japanese-made game series anyway.
I think the problem is less "anime characters" in general as it is "anime sword-wielding characters". It doesn't help that, while people try to point out how many characters use their fists as weapons and whatnot, those characters usually have more to them than that.
I mean, half of Fire Emblem's cast share a moveset (mostly).
Granted, my most wanted (Dark Matter) is technically an anime swordsman, but it also has cool potential powers so...

Back