Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

tbh, the prospect and the reality of modding smash bros for wii u has gotten me far more excited than 99% of new smash announcements.

Glitchy said:
I don't really mind gimmicky stages, as long as they aren't annoying like 75m or Dr. Wily's Castle.
I like Dr. Wily's Castle.

I also like 75m, but only in 8-player Smash.

SuperDoom said:
SSB needs a 3D entry akin to Tekken and the new Mortal Kombats.
only if i can uppercut villager's head off

Also, as someone who plays both of those quite frequently, MK9 and MKX are still 2D fighters while Tekken has been a 3D fighter from day one. Were you referring to Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon?

:waluigi: and :daisy: shouldn't be included in Smash NX outside of DLC.
Goku and Ridley should be included, but let's wait until K. Rool, the Avengers, and Tetris are.

Threek said:
SuperDoom said:
SSB needs a 3D entry akin to Tekken and the new Mortal Kombats.
only if i can uppercut villager's head off

Also, as someone who plays both of those quite frequently, MK9 and MKX are still 2D fighters while Tekken has been a 3D fighter from day one. Were you referring to Deadly Alliance/Deception/Armageddon?
And Vs. DC Universe.

I wouldn't say it's that unpopular of an opinion.

But I think I like Smash 64's original classic mode because of how some content is restricted to there. Race to the Finish, that weird polygon match, the dark blue and pink Yoshis, and of course, Master Hand.

On unpopular opinions, I like it that we don't have an overarching story mode this time.

I loved the story mode in Brawl at first, but it definitely hasn't aged well with me. I think at the time, I was just mesmerized by the fact all these Nintendo characters were on an adventure together.

1. No dialogue. At all. This really bugs me, especially in scenes like Ganondorf contacting Bowser or the Master Hand. The only time anybody says anything is Snake, but he isn't even talking to anyone else. Just says, "Kept you waiting, huh?" to an empty room.

2. The locations are so boring. You'd expect an adventure mode based on Smash Bros. to have stages based on Nintendo games. Instead, we get "The Lake" and "The Jungle" and crap like that.

3. Likewise, all enemies are just these weird original creatures aside from a few Mario enemies and R.O.B. robots. This doesn't bug me as much as the levels, but it's still disappointing.

4. Tabuu. Who is this naked Blue Man Group reject? Where did he come from? His reveal seems lime it was meant to come off as some sort of big "oh my god it was you the whole time" kind of twist, but that doesn't work when we've never seen the character before. And the fact he was able to put MASTER HAND under mind control is probably the stupidest thing ever. Yeah ok, just have this guy appear out of nowhere with zero explanation and take control of God. That's the perfect way to show your villain as powerful and not at all cliché.

5. The Great Maze. You know what doesn't make a good last level? All the previous levels smooshed together haphazardly. As a side note, why the hell did Tabuu build stairs to The Great Maze? Might as well have put a large "Fuck me" sign pointing toward his asshole.

6. Giant Fake Diddy. Fuck that boss.

7. They didn't even bother fitting in Toon Link, Wolf, or Jigglypuff. Lazy bastards.

8. Sonic just kinda showed up at the end with no build-up. I would have liked to see him team up with Mario and the other Nintendo characters, but I guess that was too much to ask.

9. That level where Mario and Pit fight Link and Yoshi over the stupidest misunderstanding ever. This is especially jarring since Mario and Yoshi know each other. Did the writers have a proofreader?

10. The writers have a strong bias towards Kirby and it shows. The worst offender was Dedede, who singlehandedly saved the day because he had the foresight to know not only that everyone was going to be defeated and turned back into amiibos, but also exactly when it would happen. Those buttons are probably a bigger ass pull than Sonic. Can't forget that other Subspace level, though. Kirby being revived because he ate one of the Dedede buttons, even though we never saw him do it. More likely, it was another excuse for the writers to suck Sakurai's dick by forcing you to play Kirby one final time.

11. The fact that they left in all these plotholes and contrived bullshit. They address the plotholes on the website, but just fill them in with more contrived bullshit. How did Tabuu take over the Halberd? Why, it's because Meta Knight was busy fighting King Dedede, of course. Is this for real? I can only imagine what the other plotholes would be solved. Did King Dedede drive Sonic to the fight too?

Magikrazy said:
I loved the story mode in Brawl at first, but it definitely hasn't aged well with me. I think at the time, I was just mesmerized by the fact all these Nintendo characters were on an adventure together.

1. No dialogue. At all. This really bugs me, especially in scenes like Ganondorf contacting Bowser or the Master Hand. The only time anybody says anything is Snake, but he isn't even talking to anyone else. Just says, "Kept you waiting, huh?" to an empty room.

2. The locations are so boring. You'd expect an adventure mode based on Smash Bros. to have stages based on Nintendo games. Instead, we get "The Lake" and "The Jungle" and crap like that.

3. Likewise, all enemies are just these weird original creatures aside from a few Mario enemies and R.O.B. robots. This doesn't bug me as much as the levels, but it's still disappointing.

4. Tabuu. Who is this naked Blue Man Group reject? Where did he come from? His reveal seems lime it was meant to come off as some sort of big "oh my god it was you the whole time" kind of twist, but that doesn't work when we've never seen the character before. And the fact he was able to put MASTER HAND under mind control is probably the stupidest thing ever. Yeah ok, just have this guy appear out of nowhere with zero explanation and take control of God. That's the perfect way to show your villain as powerful and not at all cliché.

5. The Great Maze. You know what doesn't make a good last level? All the previous levels smooshed together haphazardly. As a side note, why the hell did Tabuu build stairs to The Great Maze? Might as well have put a large "Fuck me" sign pointing toward his asshole.

6. Giant Fake Diddy. Fuck that boss.

7. They didn't even bother fitting in Toon Link, Wolf, or Jigglypuff. Lazy bastards.

8. Sonic just kinda showed up at the end with no build-up. I would have liked to see him team up with Mario and the other Nintendo characters, but I guess that was too much to ask.

9. That level where Mario and Pit fight Link and Yoshi over the stupidest misunderstanding ever. This is especially jarring since Mario and Yoshi know each other. Did the writers have a proofreader?

10. The writers have a strong bias towards Kirby and it shows. The worst offender was Dedede, who singlehandedly saved the day because he had the foresight to know not only that everyone was going to be defeated and turned back into amiibos, but also exactly when it would happen. Those buttons are probably a bigger ass pull than Sonic. Can't forget that other Subspace level, though. Kirby being revived because he ate one of the Dedede buttons, even though we never saw him do it. More likely, it was another excuse for the writers to suck Sakurai's dick by forcing you to play Kirby one final time.

11. The fact that they left in all these plotholes and contrived bullshit. They address the plotholes on the website, but just fill them in with more contrived bullshit. How did Tabuu take over the Halberd? Why, it's because Meta Knight was busy fighting King Dedede, of course. Is this for real? I can only imagine what the other plotholes would be solved. Did King Dedede drive Sonic to the fight too?

That's not unpopular, lots of people share those same thoughts.

Yeah, but people were talking about it and I figured I'd never get a better chance to bring my issues up.

A51_Trooper said:
Rumble Falls is better than Icicle Mountain

explain

Magikrazy said:

5. The Great Maze. You know what doesn't make a good last level? All the previous levels smooshed together haphazardly. As a side note, why the hell did Tabuu build stairs to The Great Maze? Might as well have put a large "*bleep* me" sign pointing toward his *bleep*.

6. Giant Fake Diddy. *bleep* that boss.

7. They didn't even bother fitting in Toon Link, Wolf, or Jigglypuff. Lazy *bleep*s.

11. The fact that they left in all these plotholes and contrived bull*bleep*. They address the plotholes on the website, but just fill them in with more contrived bull*bleep*. How did Tabuu take over the Halberd? Why, it's because Meta Knight was busy fighting King Dedede, of course. Is this for real? I can only imagine what the other plotholes would be solved. Did King Dedede drive Sonic to the fight too?
11.5. Why aren't Mario and Luigi ever paired together? Why are they spending time apart? Why would Mario attack Yoshi (casting my anti-Yoshi / pro-Mario bias aside)? Where did Petey Piranha come from? What's with the giant Diddy Kong?

12. Why doesn't Mario play a bigger role? Why doesn't Link play a bigger role? Why does every Kirby character play some huge role? What's with King Dedede's badge ex-machina?

I also agree that the lack of dialogue really is a nail into this coffin. It makes a lot of situations awkward. The lack of dialogue is almost as bad as bad dialogue IMO especially when most characters don't even have that much expressive body language and just awkwardly stare at each other. Like, between Mario and Pit... how does Mario even know Pit is an ally. How does Pit know Mario is an ally? They're strangers!

I do think disliking Subspace is an unpopular opinion because I've seen a lot of people expressing disappointment at the lack of a story mode, but I don't miss that barlwbage.

To be fair, Mario and Pit were both in the congratulation screen in Tetris.

But I'd actually go as far as to say no dialogue is worse than bad dialogue. At least with bad dialogue, there's something to laugh at, to make fun of. I can have a fun time laughing at bad dialogue while playing a game.

Striker Mario said:
12. Why doesn't Mario play a bigger role? Why doesn't Link play a bigger role? Why does every Kirby character play some huge role? What's with King Dedede's badge ex-machina?
Because Sakurai created both Kirby and Smash and since the Kirby characters are his, he's more familiar with them than the other characters.

How does Pit know Mario is an ally?

Pit was watching the battle between Mario and Kirby.

Baby Luigi said:
A51_Trooper said:
Rumble Falls is better than Icicle Mountain

explain

1. I dislike ice stages in general, mostly because they are so slippery. They do however, usually have great music.
2. No indication of when the stage is going to rise. It can also go down, but it doesn't go as fast.
3. Cave of life problems at certain areas.
4. Meteor smashes and spikes are useless.

That's about it at the moment.

Also, my favorite item is the Blast Box. It's so funny to throw one at C. Falcon as he prepares to Falcon Punch, only to blow himself up and SD

OMG Blast Boxes and lots of smart bombs blown up together are the best items ever. I do occasionally make Captain Falcon A Bad Guy but not as much as Pac-Man, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, and Wario.

Melee has the best Star KO and Screen KOs. The death sounds are more hilarious imo

Indeed.

Especially when you hear Star KO's in Giant Melee.

Back