Unpopular opinions about the Super Smash Bros series.

I was waiting for someone to quote BiTF when the pic of the day was revealed.

Shy​ Guy said:
GalacticPetey said:
Maᴙio said:
It's Doopliss turning into Ditto that transformed into Mega Man, dummy.
Who is then eaten by Kirby who then puts on a Deku Mask,
Who is then eaten by another Kirby who gets eaten by a Yoshi and turns into an egg.
No. The joke was about transformations. Yoshi has nothing to do with it.

My unpopular opinion? I'd be perfectly fine if Dr. Mario came back. It would be great for people who played him in Melee to get their main back. And don't give me that crap that they could just "transition to Mario" Any experienced player will tell you that Dr. Mario and Mario (and all the clones) have different play styles. A Mario main can't just up and play Doc the same way he plays Mario right away.

GalacticPetey said:
My unpopular opinion? I'd be perfectly fine if Dr. Mario came back. It would be great for people who played him in Melee to get their main back. And don't give me that crap that they could just "transition to Mario" Any experienced player will tell you that Dr. Mario and Mario (and all the clones) have different play styles. A Mario main can't just up and play Doc the same way he plays Mario right away.
I agree with 100%.

Dr. Mario can work as an alternate costume, but most people don't realize how good Dr. Mario is. Dr. Mario just isn't himself without that sexy f-air, that d-air, and that b-air.

I'd really love Dr. Mario as an alternate character back.

I'd say Roy is the only Melee clone who had a big playstyle difference from its basis character. The rest can adapt after an hour or two of playing and learning.

Kart Player 2008 said:
I'd say Roy is the only Melee clone who had a big playstyle difference from its basis character. The rest can adapt after an hour or two of playing and learning.

No, he adapts just as much as any clone. The only major difference is his weight and his different sweet spot.

Kart Player 2008 said:
No, MOST, if not all, of Dr. Mario's moves have different properties.

But you can say that with any clone.

Pills are also better than fireballs.

Sakurai also said even the slightest difference in play style would turn an alternate costume into a character. Doc has two unique specials moves and unique f-smash, in addition to his cloned moves having different effects.

You could argue Doc could use fireballs, but Sakurai has even stated that Doc shooting fire would look odd. If Doc is in the game, he's gonna be his own character and not a costume.

^But hasn't the people at Project M found a way to change Mario's fireballs into pills when playing as the Dr. Mario costume?

GalacticPetey said:

Sakurai also said even the slightest difference in play style would turn an alternate costume into a character. Doc has two unique specials moves and unique f-smash, in addition to his cloned moves having different effects.

You could argue Doc could use fireballs, but Sakurai has even stated that Doc shooting fire would look odd. If Doc is in the game, he's gonna be his own character and not a costume.
I'd have to bring up Project M again, but Dr. Mario is treated as an alternate costume there, but he still shoots pills instead, and his f-smash is still electricity.

It's been forever since I played Melee, but...Roy is a clone? For some reason, he's stuck out in my memory as having distinct differences from Marth.

Tuxedo Ridley said:
It's been forever since I played Melee, but...Roy is a clone? For some reason, he's stuck out in my memory as having distinct differences from Marth.
Roy is a clone. Same move, same animations, but the attacks have different properties.

I once made a poll on Gamefaqs asking people how pissed off they would be if Dr. Mario returned from 0 (not pissed at all) to 9 (100% pissed) and most people said if he's an alternate costume, then 0 but if he's a separate character, 9.

Maᴙio said:
GalacticPetey said:

I'd have to bring up Project M again, but Dr. Mario is treated as an alternate costume there, but he still shoots pills instead, and his f-smash is still electricity.
That's PMBR, not Sakuari. The Project M development team has their own rules for alternate costumes.

The issue isn't that it can't be done, the issue is that Sakurai doesn't want it to be done.

As for clones, Ganondorf is probably the most distant from his "parent character"

Kart Player 2008 said:
I once made a poll on Gamefaqs asking people how pissed off they would be if Dr. Mario returned from 0 (not pissed at all) to 9 (100% pissed) and most people said if he's an alternate costume, then 0 but if he's a separate character, 9.
IT'S THE COLD HARD FACTS, MAN.

GalacticPetey said:
Maᴙio said:
GalacticPetey said:

That's PMBR, not Sakuari. The Project M development team has their own rules for alternate costumes.

The issue isn't that it can't be done, the issue is that Sakurai doesn't want it to be done.

As for clones, Ganondorf is probably the most distant from his "parent character"
Okay. And besides, I don't think Mario is tweaked to be a combination of himself and Doc, so Doc has more trouble meshing with Mario's playstyle.

Kart Player 2008 said:
Gamefaqs is obviously the best way to survey gamers.

GalacticPetey said:

...I still don't like how Brawl has said "---- this, let's keep him clone-y and make him terrible. good for the lord of evil to be the worst character in the game"

Ninelevendo said:
Luigi is probably the most distant nowdays tho.
He is the namesake of "Luigification".

I don't really see the term used, probably the less colorful "semi-clone", but yeah.

Baby Luigi said:
GalacticPetey said:

...I still don't like how Brawl has said "---- this, let's keep him clone-y and make him terrible. good for the lord of evil to be the worst character in the game"
Brawl at least made him a semi-clone. I'm praying that Smash 4 makes him a completely unique character.

Ninelevendo said:
He's been a semi-clone since Melee. I don't group him with the Melee clones like Roy and Pichu.

Maᴙio said:
Ninelevendo said:
He is the namesake of "Luigification".

I don't really see the term used, probably the less colorful "semi-clone", but yeah.

It was used in the days of Melee/pre-Brawl released...then just sorta died out

Shame, I actually like that term.

The 6 clones in Melee all had 1 major difference except Falco:

Roy: Inverted sweetspot
Pichu: Self-Damaging
Dr. Mario/Ganondorf: Slower but Stronger
Young Link: same as Dr. Mario but also smaller and lighter
Falco: Most clonish of them all

No, you're wrong.

Falco has a high jump, an actual spike, a different d-tilt, a different Bv, a different B^, a slower run, and a different u-air. And that's just the top of my head.

I may have missed some info.

Dr. Mario- Faster in the air, more overall power, down tilt knocks opponents behind him, different f-smash with electricity and no sweet/sour spot, neutral air gets stronger the longer it's out, forwards air has different properties, pills are stronger than fireballs and cause more hitstun while also traveling in a different patten, side b is stronger for Doc but has less recovery ability and his down b is stronger but harder to recover with.

Young Link- Fsmash is weaker, has fire arrows, up b is a multi-hitting trapping move, faster speed, lighter weight, weaker over all power.

Falco- Higher jump, heavier, slower than Fox on ground, stronger f-smash, weaker up smash, forward tilt and down tilt are stronger but up tilts is weaker, down air does not multi hit but is instead a devastating spike, up air is easier to hit with but weaker, back and down throws are weaker, up throw does not combo as well, blaster is very different in terms of speed, strength, and stun, side b travels faster bit shorter and can meteor smash, up b is stronger but goes a much shorter distance, reflector sends opponents upwards make it a KO move as opposed to Fox's which lends itself more to combos.

Pichu- Up smash is unique, down smash does not create electricity and only hits once, f-smash is a multi hitting attack, side b can be charged longer and can gain more power, up b travels farther but slower and causes no damage, down b is a multi hit attack. Pichu is also hurt whenever he uses an electric attack.

Ganondorf- Much slower, lower jumping height, tons of raw power, many attacks have a darkness or electrical effect as opposed to Falcon's fiery attacks, has a bit more reach, much heavier, has better horizontal recovery, attacks have much more knock back, bigger, forwards air and jab are unique, up tilt is so radically different it's practically its own move, dash attack and down smash hit opponents vertically as opposed to horizontally, up smash is altered, aerial side b does not spike, but aerial down b does spike.

Roy- Sweetspot is at the hilt of the sword as opposed to the tip, up b is a multi hitter, counter measures damage countered back differently, jab is only one hit, down tilt hits opponents vertically, up smash is a multi hitter, faster falling speed, shorter jump, more traction.

For Dr. Mario, you forgot his backair. It has a different knockback angle, which makes it great for edgeguarding. Down aerial is also different, and it makes a different noise. Forward air is basically like Ganondorf's forward air, which is a slow, strong hit, good as a finisher.

Back