• Toad

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
Mcmadness said:
Shy​ Guy said:
Mcmadness said:
Paper Mario is already in Smash.

Its called Mario.
Paper Mario could have a completely different moveset, you know.

But that doesn't justify his inclusion. Mario isn't in Smash to represent a part of his series, he's there for ALL of it.
But we have two Link's, so two Mario's would be alright.

Shy​ Guy said:
Mcmadness said:
Shy​ Guy said:
Mcmadness said:

Its called Mario.

But that doesn't justify his inclusion. Mario isn't in Smash to represent a part of his series, he's there for ALL of it.

Just because they screwed up before doesn't mean I want them to do it again.

And even if there were 2 Marios, why PM? Why should they pick that version over all the other dozens upon dozens of variations of Mario, each of which it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with detailed movesets for.

Mcmadness said:
Shy​ Guy said:
Mcmadness said:
Shy​ Guy said:
Mcmadness said:

Its called Mario.

Just because they screwed up before doesn't mean I want them to do it again.

And even if there were 2 Marios, why PM? Why should they pick that version over all the other dozens upon dozens of variations of Mario, each of which it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with detailed movesets for.
The others could be clones. Just look at Dr. Mario! Atleast Paper Mario can have a unique moveset!

They didn't "screw-up" when they added Toon Link.

Toon Link represents a ton of the Zelda games. He also has a vastly different playstyle than link. He plays so differently he's almost a completely different character.

GalacticPetey said:

Toon Link represents a ton of the Zelda games. He also has a vastly different playstyle than link. He plays so differently he's almost a completely different character.

Still a clone of normal Link.

And I already said, ANY of the variations of Mario could have detailed different movesets. I could think up one for just Bee Mario alone.

So again, why PM over any other version of Mario? If you can't answer that then he shouldn't be in smash.

Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

And I already said, ANY of the variations of Mario could have detailed different movesets. I could think up one for just Bee Mario alone.

So again, why PM over any other version of Mario? If you can't answer that then he shouldn't be in smash.
The Paper Mario series is still alive and well, so he is still relevant.

So? So is everything else in this series.

Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

Did you even read the post? A character that plays differently than others is not a clone, regardless of other factors.

Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

Semi-clone. Not full clone.

They have similar moves, yes. But it comes down to playstyle. Toon Link plays much differently from regular Link. Heck, look at Fox and Falco in melee. They are more clone-ish than Toon Link and Link but they are vastly different when you actually play them.

Paper Mario is the star of his own sub-series. He'd have a very unique and out there moveset. who cares if he's still Mario. He looks and fights different and has a ton of potential.

Vommack said:
Mcmadness said:
GalacticPetey said:

Did you even read the post? A character that plays differently than others is not a clone, regardless of other factors.

Their movesets are still the bloody same. That is the defining aspect of being a clone in a fighting game.

GalacticPetey said:
Again, playstyle is vastly different. That negates the similar moves.

All clones have different playstyles.

THAT IS NOT WHAT DEFINES A CLONE IN A FIGHTING GAME.

And again WHY PAPER MARIO OVER ANY OTHER VERSION OF MARIO

WHY IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK CAN NONE OF YOU ANSWER THIS SIMPLE FUCKING QUESTION

For one thing, I never said I wanted Paper Mario, or even thought it was likely. Why would I have to defend a character who I don't want or think would make an appearance?

A true clone would have the same moveset and characteristics between each each other, to the point that they would play identically. Link and Young Link clearly do not do that.

No, a clone character is one that are extremely similar. There are differences obviously but its still extremely similar.

In fighting game terms that is what it means to be a clone.

Roy is a clone of Marth, Falco is a clone of Fox, Ganondorf is a clone of Captain Falcon, Toon link/young link are clones of Link.

This is not rocket science.

Ninelevendo said:
Like the chance of Baby Luigi being in?

I mean, sure, he'd be a great Yoshi's Island rep....but I'm heavily doubting his chances of making it in. He's gonna be just a regular trophy at best (but even Brawl ----ed it up big time there)

Mcmadness said:
And again WHY PAPER MARIO OVER ANY OTHER VERSION OF MARIO

WHY IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF *bleep* CAN NONE OF YOU ANSWER THIS SIMPLE *bleep*ING QUESTION

I have honestly no ----ing clue. Paper Mario is simply Mario, but with an artstyle change. That doesn't make him a separate character. That begs the question: why can't we use Mario & Luigi Mario, or Kirby's Epic Yarn Kirby, etc.? What makes Paper Mario an oh-so special series? Paper Mario hasn't even received a SONG in Brawl, whereas, Mario & Luigi did.

Lumastar said:
Paper Mario would work best since he represents the RPGs instead of the platformers. Plus, he has so much moveset potential.

So does Mario & Luigi Mario. Why aren't you advocating the same for him?

GalacticPetey said:
Semi-clones. There's a difference. I'd argue all the "clones" in Brawl are actually semi-clones.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/clone

The differences Toon link has are barely worth mentioning. He's a clone.

And even if he were, my original point stands. I don't want another variation of Mario. Mario represents his entire franchise. We don't need a character to represent a niche part of it especially when nobody can give a solid reason why this particular part of deserves special treatment over the rest.

So even if he completely played differently from Mario, you'd still complain about him being similar to Mario.

Okay then.

Oh, and Toon Link has very noticeable differences. his unique moves include his up smash, neutral aerial, forward aerial, back aerial, forward throw, and back throw, while his down aerial is a stall-then-fall that meteor smashes, and his forward smash functioning like a multi-hit smash, despite both having similar animations to Link's counterparts. In addition Toon Link's down tilt hits horizontally while Link's hits vertically and meteor smashes, Toon Link's dash attack semi-spikes and trips while Link's hits vertically, and Toon Link's down smash functions as a multi-hit attack while each slash in Link's is individually powerful. Boomerang and Spin attack are very different between the two of them. In addition, Toon link has very different falling and walking speeds, along with lighter weight. These differences make him almost unrecognizable as Link.

GalacticPetey said:
So even if he completely played differently from Mario, you'd still complain about him being similar to Mario.

Okay then.

The last thing the Mario series needs is another Mario (ok I like Baby Mario but I DIGRESS-besides he's more distinct than Paper Mario and he's classified as a separate character at least), and Paper Mario is solely intended as an artstyle change rather than a separate character. The different Links are arguably fine: they come from different time-lines, different incarnations, however the player likes to say.

However, Paper Mario IS the exact same Mario, except he's in a different artstyle. He has even less of a reason to be in Smash than Toon Link or even Dark Samus. I'd rather have a completely different character use Paper Mario's moveset than yet another Mario use that moveset. Diversity is more important in this game than other games.

When I say I don't want another version of Mario, I mean that in the most literal of ways. I don't want another spot taken up on the roster by what is essentially the same guy with a different art style. If I wanted another character from the Mario franchise I'd want something like Toad or Bowser jr.

If a character is popular, highly requested, relevant, and has the potential for a great and unique moveset, I see no reason not to add the character.

AND is Paper Mario popular and highly requested? And I don't mean this by Internet lurkers. I mean the entire Smash audience as a whole.

"Relevancy" and "moveset potential" are debatable arguments btw

Paper Mario has his own series (one game was pretty recent). His moveset can draw from his hammer, badges, partners, pixls, and even stickers.

Back