Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Paper Mario

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Daisy

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Toad

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
I'm 99% against Daisy's inclusion, but moveset potential is NOT the reason I'm against her. I'm against her because we have far more viable Mario characters, which includes Bowser Jr. and Toad.

Baby Luigi said:
I'm 99% against Daisy's inclusion, but moveset potential is NOT the reason I'm against her. I'm against her because we have far more viable Mario characters, which includes Bowser Jr. and Toad.
Exactly! I would be very happy with Toad or Bowser Jr.'s inclusion. I just want Paper Mario in to represent the Mario RPGs.

If I want Mario RPG representation, I'd rather have a stage than Paper Mario. Or hell, at least more than one music.

But I'd want a Mario Party stage over Mario RPG stage anyway.

Bowser Jr. is a better rep than them

DragonFreak said:
How are Koopa Kids exciting at all? Like I would rather have Bowser Jr in any universe at any time, and I hate Bowser Jr.

That is exactly my point, Mario RPG Characters are so atrociously bad (imo) that I'd rather have Koopa Kid come in to avoid having to deal with them.

3D Player 2004 said:
DragonFreak said:
How are Koopa Kids exciting at all? Like I would rather have Bowser Jr in any universe at any time, and I hate Bowser Jr.

That is exactly my point, Mario RPG Characters are so atrociously bad (imo) that I'd rather have Koopa Kid come in to avoid having to deal with them.
How are Mario RPG characters atrociously bad? What about Fawful? Or Kylie Koopa? Or Broque Monsieur? Or Kammy Koopa? Or the Ninja Koopas? Or Jr. Troopa? Or Admiral Bobbery? Or PAPER LUIGI?

Lumastar said:
3D Player 2004 said:
DragonFreak said:

How are Mario RPG characters atrociously bad? What about Fawful? Or Kylie Koopa? Or Broque Monsieur? Or Kammy Koopa? Or the Ninja Koopas? Or Jr. Troopa? Or Admiral Bobbery? Or PAPER LUIGI?
I don't like any of those Characters.

3D Player 2004 said:
Lumastar said:
3D Player 2004 said:
DragonFreak said:

You probably take them too seriously. You shouldn't.

Have you ever even played a Mario RPG?

Lumastar said:
3D Player 2004 said:
Lumastar said:
3D Player 2004 said:
DragonFreak said:

Yes, Super Paper Mario

3D Player 2004 said:
Lumastar said:
3D Player 2004 said:
Lumastar said:
3D Player 2004 said:
DragonFreak said:

Yes, Super Paper Mario
That's the least Mario RPG of all the Mario RPGs. It's not bad (it's actually great), but it is more of Mario's Adventure than Paper Mario 3 in terms of gameplay.

Lumastar said:
That's the least RPG of all the Mario RPGs. It's not bad (it's actually great), but it is more of Mario's Adventure than Paper Mario 3 in terms of gameplay.

In case you didn't know, not all RPGs are turn-based. Super Paper Mario is as much as an RPG as Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is

Baby Luigi said:
Lumastar said:
That's the least RPG of all the Mario RPGs. It's not bad (it's actually great), but it is more of Mario's Adventure than Paper Mario 3 in terms of gameplay.

In case you didn't know, not all RPGs are turn-based. Super Paper Mario is as much as an RPG as Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is
I know it's an RPG. I meant to say that it is the least Mario RPG of all of the Mario RPGs.

That....doesn't make any sense

Also considering Paper Mario: Sticker Star exists...that makes even less sense

Super Paper Mario also happens to have partners, non-Mario characters (like O Chunks, Dimentio, Mimi, etc.), have recurring Paper Mario stuff (Merlon family), and has more references to the precious two games than Sticker Star

I just think 5 Mario characters is enough.

Ninelevendo said:
Having references to other PM games doesn't make it more of an RPG. PMSS is more of an RPG than SPM, but SPM fares better in terms of gameplay anyway. Story wise, they both disintegrated.

Actually, if anything, PMSS is far from an RPG. While there is turn-based battles, you do not recieve EXP or any kind of boost in the game. You could literally avoid every battle in the game except for the mandatory ones and you would be fine (as long as you do the side stuff and things like that).

From Wiki: "A role-playing game (RPG and sometimes roleplaying game ) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development"

No where does it say that it has to be turned based to be an RPG. You simply act out the character and determine their actions and you play through their settings as though you are the character. That's why it's called "Role-playing". It does talk about Character development though, which can include but not held to: character growth, new items/weapons/upgrades, etc.

The thing with PM:SS is that the only thing that grows in the game is just your hearts - which aren't even earned but just found - and the stronger stickers/enemies, which I mean the more powerful enemies are found in games like NSMB and stuff, which is not an RPG. There is little to no character development at all in PM:SS and all it is is just using a same old gimmick to waste away valuable stickers in order to pointlessly kill enemies for no gain at all. While SPM did not have a turn-based RPG, it still had character growth where the players actually got stronger and they upgraded their health and skills via Pixels as the game went on.

A major way you can see what I mean is to go back to SPM after the game is over and your at like level 45 or something. Kill a Goomba in the first area, and just see how much damage you do to it. Then go to PM: SS after it is beaten and go to a goomba and just use any sticker you want. Depending on the sticker, you'll do a lot of damage, or you'll do as much damage as you did the first time you battled him. It just shows what power-ups you can get in the game.

SPM tried to combine Platformer and RPG together, and while the gameplay was more Platformer than RPG, that doesn't discredit the rest of the game and the rest of everything it had to offer. PM:SS had only the gameplay being RPG-esque, while the rest of it was completely platformer. There was literally barely anything to do other than run around, kill enemies, peel stickers, and clear the area. Unlike the first three, it had no plot other than to save Peach from Bowser. At least with the original one, they had you play as Peach and do shit as her and actually had reasons to go explore these locations and not just have it randomly be there for you not to question. TTYD even had Peach not captured by Bowser and SPM took it to the next level and have no one kidnapped and Peach a playable character.

These are things that makes SPM more of an RPG than PM:SS. I think that it might not be as RPG-y in the series compared to PM and PM:SS, but does that discredit the fact that it still a Paper Mario RPG and a full-on one that at least kept the same general details that the first two had. PM:SS literally took everything about the first three games and wiped it's ass with it, saying "Nah, we're going to be use NSMB to give us the characters and "original" stuff".

Also what do you mean by "Story-wise, both disintegrated?" SPM had a very strong plot, so I don't see how it fell apart. PM:SS had little to no plot, so I don't see how it fell apart.

The argument for Super Paper Mario not being an RPG is like saying Tales of Symphonia or Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles isn't an RPG because it's not turn-based. Basically, if there is a level up system and you have equipment and you have stats, it's an RPG*

*Not 100% accurate definition, just a rough one

Actually, I don't think The Legend of Zelda is an RPG at all. Typically you level up in RPGs and stuff. That's almost like saying some adventure games like Tomb Raider is an RPG when it's clearly not the case.

i don't like genre arguments anyway

Back