Civilization V

Oh ok. Those DLCs added more than I originally thought. Like I was reading on what the DLCs actually did and I was like "OMG, the additions make it like an entirely different game"

DragonFreak said:
Oh ok. Those DLCs added more than I originally thought. Like I was reading on what the DLCs actually did and I was like "OMG, the additions make it like an entirely different game"
yeah, Gods and Kings wasn't tooo bad but after I got Brave New World I actually stopped playing for a while because the new culture system was too offputting and I really didn't like it at first
which is funny because I really like it now and culture victory is one of my favourites

I've been looking at this game. Can someone give me any details on it and its price? How would you rate it, and would you recommend it?

Stargazing said:
I've been looking at this game. Can someone give me any details on it and its price? How would you rate it, and would you recommend it?
basically it's a turn-based strategy, you pick a civilisation to play as and as it grows you aim towards a "victory", e.g. a domination victory means taking everyone else's cities
of course there are other civilizations who you trade with and go to war with and it's all very exciting
I have no idea what the European price even is, never mind Canadian
8.5/10
while it's absolutely fantastic and I'd definitely say get it, I'd also say consider getting Beyond Earth (more or less the same basic gameplay but certain elements are majorly adjusted [it's also IN SPAAAAACE]), since it's imo a better game and I have nobody to play it with

also star you're going to need to find a better system than that laptop if you want to play it (though there is always DirectX9 I guess)

Kavitha Thakur said:
DragonFreak said:
yeah, Gods and Kings wasn't tooo bad but after I got Brave New World I actually stopped playing for a while because the new culture system was too offputting and I really didn't like it at first
which is funny because I really like it now and culture victory is one of my favourites
Oh my gosh, culture victory is one of my favs too. There's something about defeating your oppenents by basically (or most easily) building World Wonders that really appeals to me.

Stargazing said:
The pricing is higher than most Steam games. Just vanilla version is 30 dollars. he complete edition is 50 dollars. I mean I got the complete edition on sale for 17, so thats pretty much the only reason why I have it.

This is probably my 2nd favorite Steam I played. (Dust: An Elysian Tale is my favorite, but you can only play it for so long until you beat it). I have been a fan of the series for quite a while now. In my opinion, this game is extremely fun. There is so many things you can do that it will take awhile until you get completely bored of it, if that even happens to you. I completely recommend it, but the price may be too high for you atm. If so, wait until it goes on sale.

there's no way i'm getting more than 10 bucks on my account again
so this is unfortunately out of the question :/

Stargazing said:
Maybe you can poach it from the Awards if it shows up next year.

Also question: Would it be better to get this or Beyond Earth?

from what i hear beyond earth doesn't really add enough to justify its full-price release

refer to these reviews

Glaceon said:
Stargazing said:
Maybe you can poach it from the Awards if it shows up next year.

I would say Civilization V just because it's more natural to get in the franchise and more people are playing it.

Glaceon said:
I'd say beyond earth, but I'm probably biased
civ v is a great game and definitely worth buying
if you buy it i'll finally have someone who isn't 5 hours slow to play with

EDIT: also considering you can get all three V expansions for the same cost as vanilla BE it's probably better to at least wait until a sale

Javelin said:
from what i hear beyond earth doesn't really add enough to justify its full-price release

refer to these reviews

that sounds kinda disappointed

*makes mental note to watch these later*

Played it at a friend's house a few times and it's like an interesting game, although I kind of prefer action/shooters to strategy. Eventually I'll get it once I have enough steam funds and nothing good on my wishlist.

I prefer action and shooters too but there's just something addicting about this game that I can't describe

I haven't played it in a while to be honest though, but that's because I have much other games to play, not because I'm uninterested in it. The long hours I spend playing it is kinda daunting.

? Block said:
Javelin said:

refer to these reviews

that sounds kinda disappointed

*makes mental note to watch these later*
ok seriously
can people stop watching angry/disappointed reviews and play the demo
it's free and if you're interested there's no excuse unless your computer won't download or such
just because someone thinks something is bad doesn't mean you will

Kavitha Thakur said:
can people stop watching angry/disappointed reviews and play the demo
it's free and if you're interested there's no excuse unless your computer won't download or such
just because someone thinks something is bad doesn't mean you will

yet it's still possible to like the game while admitting it has flaws?

you're kinda overreacting to our initial sentiments

I actually haven't found any flaws in the gameplay, and I find it a lot more interesting to play than V
maybe I just enjoy "simple" gameplay or something, even though it's not
there are a couple of bugs but they're already being ironed out so I don't see the problem there

I have admitted though
Kavitha Thakur said:
EDIT: also considering you can get all three V expansions for the same cost as vanilla BE it's probably better to at least wait until a sale
so I'm not saying go and buy it unless you're hardcore or unless you play the demo and really enjoy it

i have yet to disagree with angry joe on a review, and he always brings up things i'm interested in. if he wasn't really blown away, it's safe to assume i won't be either

also i'm trying to save people from blowing sixty dollars on a game that they might not enjoy all that much

I thought Civilization games are usually much more worth it once the expansion packs and stuff are out.

Javelin said:
also i'm trying to save people from blowing sixty dollars on a game that they might not enjoy all that much
so am I by telling them to play the demo
I don't want people to fork out what i'll admit is a little bit more money than probably it's worth without at least trying it for themselves, but I don't want them to just ignore it and think "oh it's the same as V" without trying it
Dr. Mario said:
I thought Civilization games are usually much more worth it once the expansion packs and stuff are out.
oh, they are
but I'm saying that maybe someone will play it and think "whoa this is worth the money"

So I got this game because it was on sale, and thankfully my computer can seemingly handle it, or at least the first turn (because that was when it shut off randomly like it always does).

I probably won't touch it again for quite some time, but if anyone knows any good guides for complete newbies that I can view in the meantime, then I implore you to share them.

Back