Civilization V

So I've been looking at this game. AND IT LOOKS SO FUN.

I might get it on steam soon (or if I can snag something from the awards :P ), since I guess my computer meats the minimum requirements (hoping it doesn't freeze or anything though!).

But definitely my kind of game. So what I'm wondering - has anyone played it? I just want advice and general thoughts basically, since I watched a let's play and it's obviously quite complicated.

The only Civilization I have played was Civilization III. Now that is insanely fun. I still have it, but I am PC-less. Civ V has to be just as good or better.

Perfect timing, NSM.

I got this a week or so ago and it's already stolen 33+ hours of my time, so... yeah. Fabulous game.

The basic premise is that you are a world leader (from a list of twenty or so countries) who starts the game by building a city. As the game continues, you can improve your land, build warriors, explore territory, create new cities, etc. The goal is to make your civilization the most successful possible, so you've got to keep your citizens happy, keep developing new technology, and keep defending your territory.

The first game I played (ended up taking 25 hours in total) I was Otto von Bismarck and I managed to conquer all of East Asia, Australia, and the Pacific before I won by developing enough technology to build a spaceship. However, you don't have to play such giant, long games - there are plenty of options you can choose to speed up the gameplay and shrink the map so you don't have to conquer every single inch of the planet to win.

The best part of the game imo is how adjustable it is. Do you want to build the most advanced civilization possible? Go ahead, you can win doing that! Want to conquer all your enemies and rule the entire world? Knock yourself out. Want to have a small but cultured nation? You can do that too.

If you're a fan of any strategy games and/or building games, this is a must-buy. If you want long-drawn out games (like me!) or short, fast-paced ones, you can easily change the settings to do that. Heck, if you just like history (like me!) then this is also entertaining just because you can build whatever historical soldiers you want, especially since you can choose to start in the Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial, Modern, or Future Eras.

A word of caution: it is pretty complicated. As in I would probably run out of character space explaining every single possible thing you should be considering. Fortunately, the game's pretty good at giving you tips on how to run the game and there's a list of advisers in-game who will suggest building this or that, so if you're unsure of what to do the game will help you out.

Viridi said:
Perfect timing, NSM.

I got this a week or so ago and it's already stolen 33+ hours of my time, so... yeah. Fabulous game.

The basic premise is that you are a world leader (from a list of twenty or so countries) who starts the game by building a city. As the game continues, you can improve your land, build warriors, explore territory, create new cities, etc. The goal is to make your civilization the most successful possible, so you've got to keep your citizens happy, keep developing new technology, and keep defending your territory.

The first game I played (ended up taking 25 hours in total) I was Otto von Bismarck and I managed to conquer all of East Asia, Australia, and the Pacific before I won by developing enough technology to build a spaceship. However, you don't have to play such giant, long games - there are plenty of options you can choose to speed up the gameplay and shrink the map so you don't have to conquer every single inch of the planet to win.

The best part of the game imo is how adjustable it is. Do you want to build the most advanced civilization possible? Go ahead, you can win doing that! Want to conquer all your enemies and rule the entire world? Knock yourself out. Want to have a small but cultured nation? You can do that too.

If you're a fan of any strategy games and/or building games, this is a must-buy. If you want long-drawn out games (like me!) or short, fast-paced ones, you can easily change the settings to do that. Heck, if you just like history (like me!) then this is also entertaining just because you can build whatever historical soldiers you want, especially since you can choose to start in the Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial, Modern, or Future Eras.

A word of caution: it is pretty complicated. As in I would probably run out of character space explaining every single possible thing you should be considering. Fortunately, the game's pretty good at giving you tips on how to run the game and there's a list of advisers in-game who will suggest building this or that, so if you're unsure of what to do the game will help you out.
I'm a fan of like, all that stuff you just mentioned. :D

I think I'd probably just start out on everything standard just to try and then I can change my settings once I go the hang of everything. I'm sure it's more of a game where you just learn as you go and by how much you've played it.

Toothless said:
There probably will be an instruction booklet it there. I say either read it and memorize it, or play with trial and error.
Trial and error. I'm guessing that instruction book would be WAY to long :P

New Super Mario said:
I'm a fan of like, all that stuff you just mentioned. :D

I think I'd probably just start out on everything standard just to try and then I can change my settings once I go the hang of everything. I'm sure it's more of a game where you just learn as you go and by how much you've played it.
Yeah, that's how I picked it up. The in-game advisers are pretty good at carrying you while you don't know what you're doing.

I would also suggest playing the game on the "Earth" map to start with, just so you won't have to worry too much about exploring (because you already have a rough idea in your head of what Earth looks like), but that's your call.

Meh, I think I'm more for the unknown

I'll probably wait and see if I can pick it up for a prize at the awards this year (if it's offered), but if not I'll just go ahead and buy it on steam.

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention is that the music in this game is awesome!

Here, watch the intro to get an idea of the music (and what the game's about, basically):
That's just the main theme though. Each faction you play as has different music, so when I was playing as Otto von Bismarck there was classical music with slight bits of Mozart worked in, and when I played as George Washington I could pick out bits of Stars and Stripes Forever in the background music. The music also changes whenever you go to war with another nation into a darker version of your nation's music, which is a nice touch that gets you pumped for the war. Whenever you're talking to another world leader their country's music will play, which is cool.

Well, I wouldn't buy it now. Steam Sale's coming up, so I'd wait until then just to see if the price will drop.

It was on sale last week during E3 (which is when I got it), so the odds are kinda low, but it's still a good idea to wait until Steam Sale.

I just got the demo! It's so fun! I'm definitely picking the full game up. And I didn't have much trouble picking it up actually, but I bet it will take a while to master it

EDIT: And it just ended. Lame. It was really picking up!

Viridi said:
uh, it's already on sale, so you just got the sale price

anyways what's your steam
"songofstorm2"

yeah I forgot the s haha :P

EDIT: Just edited my display title thing so it should have the s now, but I don't know if you search for that or your actual account name.

alright, sent an invite

also you might want to join the official mariowiki group (you can see it on my profile) if you want to get connected with other people around here

So, yeah I just played it for the last 5 hours...

It's so addictive. I played as Washington. I started out a little bumpy. The Mongolian Empire and I were on one landmass. I had only 2 cities, he had 4/5. However, I managed to take a city-state, and befriend England. Later, I was powerful enough to declare war at him. Sadly, Khan hadn't built up his army all that much and had just placed almost defenseless cities everywhere, so once I got the catapults I took cities one after another (and managed to get two from a peach agreement. Later I just declared war again and took him capital).

Then my friendship with England ended and now she hates me. meh. I gave her so much stuff.

But yeah, we'll see where it goes. Now I'm around ~1000 AD, and currently have 10 cities (3 from me, 1 city-state, and the rest from Mongolia who's now eliminated).

My sister and I recently got this game and is in the process of installing (in my sister's account). 16 bucks for the entire Civilization V was a steal, and we were recommended this game by our brother so that's why we decided to get it.

We're new to the series, and we've heard that this game is like the Spore civilization stage except it's much more complex and in-depth...and it's turn based. I'm curious to how the turn-based system works since whenever I think of this game, I think of an RTS game like Starcraft or Warcraft or something.

I hope this game isn't too complex or tough for us to get into. I always fear that my strategy would stink and I'd suck at the game.

Baby Luigi said:
We're new to the series, and we've heard that this game is like the Spore civilization stage except it's much more complex and in-depth...and it's turn based. I'm curious to how the turn-based system works since whenever I think of this game, I think of an RTS game like Starcraft or Warcraft or something.
Well... Civ is a little different from RTS. Especially in that 1. your timing and how fast you can build an army isn't too important (because turn-based) and 2. you don't have to take over all the other people! You can with with Science, Cultural, or Diplomatic victories, which don't require fighting at all (although you might want a small army at least just to defend).
Baby Luigi said:
I hope this game isn't too complex or tough for us to get into. I always fear that my strategy would stink and I'd suck at the game.
It's a little complex at first but honestly I didn't find that much of a problem because there are advisors that help you along for the first part of the game. You can ignore most of the stats on your cities and stuff for a while, at least until you understand the game better.

Also make sure to turn the difficulty down if you're worried about it being hard.

So if it's turn-based, what other turn-based games can you compare it to?

It's honestly more akin to board games like Risk than RTS games.

It's like Risk with the added bonus that it's on a computer so you can create a world-building game that keeps track of thousands of numbers instead of just armies, which allows you to modify your cities (like territories from Risk) or win the game by socially developing your empire.

Good. I hope I'll get a taste of it in the future. I just got the complete edition from a Steam sale, and I haven't installed it yet. :P

So my sister has started playing this game recently.

My god, this game is addicting. It already sucked an entire day's worth of my sister AND me (because I was interested to watch what was going on). Great game. We're not even IN to strategy games and we love this game. Like wow.

I'd like to have a go in this game for myself.

Back