Super Mario Maker

Northern Verve said:
CPKoVbiWwAAEPQm.png

For those playing this game. Accurate?

1: I'd only spam certain enemies (typically just the weaker enemies, such as the Goombas and Koopa Troopas), but they're usually in small groups, instead of massive swarms. One of my courses, however, does require you to ride on a bunch of flying Buzzy Beetles. In terms of Lakitu, so far, none of my courses have more than four Lakitus in a single area.

2: Nope. You won't see that from me.

3: I don't really get the Flappy Bird fiasco.

4: When I do make puzzles, I avoid forcing players to have to depower themselves to progress.

5: The only hidden blocks that you'll see from me are the ones that are helpful, or contain something good. No trollish block placements at vital jumps at all.

6: I only really use certain sound effects when making my courses.

7: It feels more rewarding to play a course where you actually have to put some effort into completing.

8: Course testing is always important before uploading a course. You'll never know if you need to lower the difficulty unless you do a lot of tests.

9: There's nothing fun about Kaizo Mario, period.

10: That's something that I don't allow when making my courses. I want to at least make it possible to complete a course without being forced to be small.

11: I'm fine with this, as long as the Koopa Troopas aren't too far away from each other.

12: When you reach the goal, there really shouldn't be any trollish attacks beforehand.

13: If you can't see where you're jumping to, then you're probably screwed without the right power-up.

14: That's just wrong. Just let Mario enter the door already.

15: A very trollish attempt to make players mad.

16: Putting Bowser Jr. on top of Bowser is okay, but three Bowsers is just major overkill, especially in the Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. U game styles, where you can't just run through Bowser and be done with it.

17: It all depends on how you use the Lava Lifts in your course.

18: I'm fine with this, as long as you know that they're there, or that you're given some sort of warning of their presence (usually in the form of coins).

19: I'd rather not force people to have to spin jump to clear an obstacle.

20: You'd have to do a lot of hard work to properly design a course like that.

21: While it may feel nice to recreate old courses, in the end, the course limits can work against you.

22: Certain mazes are okay, but ones that force you to be small can be on the annoying side if there are enemies roaming around.

23: A touch and go type of scenario. It all comes down to where the warp doors will take you.

24: Bragging about how hard a course is is never a good thing.

25: As long as there's something that can spawn more Bob-ombs, you're not entirely stuck.

26: How well-made the coin formation is can mean a lot.

27: If you're required to have the Super Star to get through a dangerous obstacle, at least make sure that you can get past the obstacle before the invincibility wears off.

28: Try to limit how many Bill Blasters are present in one area, assuming that they're firing Bullet Bills.

29: Wall jumps sections are quite fine if you can get through them without any cheap hazards getting in the way.

30: Low timers and high speed auto-scrolling just feels quite ridiculous. I know that you have the option to make the auto-scroll go cheetah-speed fast, but try not to put players under heavy pressure.

Northern Verve said:
CPKoVbiWwAAEPQm.png

1. Everytime in the 100-Mario Challenge
2. Nope
3. Seen this kind of level once. I also made one, named "Flappy Mario XTREME".
4. Rarely, in 100-Mario
5. Nope.
6. Everytime there's cat paw or a suspense sound effect.
7. A lot. Even these levels are popular. And also "autolevels" are trendy.
8. Nope.
9. In Expert 100-Mario
10. Nope.
11. Rarely.
12. Encountered these kind of levels
13. Nope
14. Yep in 100-Mario. Annoying, especially with the laughing sound effect.
15. Some in 100-Mario.
16. That leads to overkill.
17. Common in automatic levels
18. I'm okay with it. Castle level creation for beginners.

i'll continue the rest

some people played my level. I also got a star by meta knight and fanta (thanks btw)

but except for them nobody beat it lol (that's 2/11)

also i finally unlocked the smb3 style. jeez.

Stanley Pines said:
this is a dumb question but what is a kaizo level

They're basically absurdly hard courses that were made by various users. Before Nintendo's recent copyright crackdown, you could view them on YouTube.

Northern Verve said:
CPKoVbiWwAAEPQm.png

So annoying you can't copy the text.

01. I don't mind that.
02. I love these, it makes the beginning fun, and for those who complain about that, you lose nothing.
03. I don't understand.
04. Original.
05. Annoying if it's not at the beginning of a level.
06. Annoying.
07. Now I hate them.
08. It happens, in one of my levels
09. :P
10. Legitimate to increase difficulty at one area.
11. Easy.
12. I don't understand.
13. Arrows or coins need to be added.
14. Who cares? As far as I know, Mario can't die once he reaches the goal
15. Annoying
16. Fun.
17. That's okay.
18. Fun.
19. I don't mind.
20. I found one doing the squid sisters song, so not bad, at least it has a purpose compared to automatic levels.
21. I don't mind.
22. I hate that.
23. See 22.
24. I like hard levels.
25. These are cool gimmicks.
26. I don't mind.
27. It can be interesting if the level is made correctly.
28. Okay I guess.
29. I don't mind.
30. See 27.

MnSG said:
Stanley Pines said:

They're basically absurdly hard courses that were made by various users. Before Nintendo's recent copyright crackdown, you could view them on YouTube.

Also all are trails and error and very bad desinged and very cheap....like 90% of the levels in 100 Mario challenge expert mode

Stanley Pines said:

it's based upon a super hard, super frustrating super mario world hack created by a japanese guy going by the nickname "kaizo". The hack is called "kaizo mario world" or "kaizo mario" for the lack of an official name.

It also has 2 official sequels and various inofficial spinoffs.

If we get dlc, this is what I'd want.

Slopes
Pokeys
Fuzzies
Flame Chomps
Fire Snakes
Spikes
Mini Mushroom
Lava pools
The ability to choose what costume the Mystery Mushroom gives (unless I'm stupid and haven't found it)
Koopalings
Other Bros besides Hammer and Sledge

pickable music would be a good one
and smb2 mode
also you are stupid and haven't found it haven't you played the hundreds of "[character]'s such and such" levels where you get a specific costume
im not sure exactly how to access the menu though because ive never bothered with mystery mushrooms yet

Magikrazy said:
The ability to choose what costume the Mystery Mushroom gives (unless I'm stupid and haven't found it)
tap it once it's placed somewhere
also yeah i want to be able to use the athletic themes and stuff

Magikrazy said:
If we get dlc, this is what I'd want.

Slopes
Pokeys
Fuzzies
Flame Chomps
Fire Snakes
Spikes
Mini Mushroom
Lava pools
Koopalings
Other Bros besides Hammer and Sledge
Adding onto this, I'd like:
NSMBDS style
Blue Shell (Replaces the Mystery Mushroom/Super Leaf/Cape Feather/Propeller Mushroom in the NSMBDS style)
Ice Flower
Mega Mushroom
Quicksand
Red coin rings (And subsequently, red coins)
Desert level theme
Nighttime level theme
Option to pick athletic music
Placing water and lava anywhere you want
Ability to raise and lower water/lava in underwater/castle levels, respectively (or completely remove the lava from the latter)
More than one sub-level
Option to have pipes that don't lead sub-levels (Have them act like doors)
Unskippable boss battles

(Also not really DLC, but I'd like to see them remove the "more stars for more levels" system, and increase or outright remove the block limit.)

You know, i want slopes too, but, there wasn´t slopes in SMB maybe they aren´t here because they wanted consistency between the styles, also:

Bosses: I would like it too, but, man it would be anoying to shake 7 times to have the koopaling you want....boom boom and pom pom in other hand may be a more convinient option, also reznors (and detachable wheel to use in levels) and a Boss Big Boo because, we need more of those that aren´t in mario hacks
(maybe even guests-bosses from zelda series, kirby...maybe third parties like eggman?)

Unskippable Boss: the ? orb can do the job, just add that

More theme levels: Night levels, fluffy sky levels, lava levels, you know the basic i would want that too.

Option to have pipes that don't lead sub-levels (Have them act like doors): THAT....and Boss Doors too

Placing water and lava anywhere you want: it can be painful in the wrong hands, but really cool DLC addition

Option to pick athletic/ music: The Doctor: OH YES!!! please, alt music for all stages and final boss music too....im really growing tired of the NSMBU music...and i liked it BEFORE

More Enemies: Chargin Chucks, big boos, fire, boomerang bros, MEGA goombas there´s a lot of enemies that need to be here

More Costumes: the Babies, Kamek, Cranky, KRool, the Koopalings, rpg characters there are MANY mario characters that need a costume....i forget someone?
jk :daisy:

If you could place lava anywhere, people would come up with some GREAT level ideas lol.

I've been trying to document all the functionality of the Pink Music Block, I don't have the best ear for musical instruments but here's what I've gotten so far:

First and foremost: The lowest block is low C (C4) while the highest block is high D (D6), every other note including sharps/flats are included between.

As for the sounds I can gather for each object:
Mario: Steel Drum
Super Mushroom: 8-Bit
Coin: Jingle Bell
Trampoline (Upright): Cymbal
Trampoline (Sideways): Hi-Hat
Goomba:
Koopa Troopa: Xylophone
Piranha Plant:
Fire Piranha Plant:
Mystery Mushroom:
Spiny: French Horn
Fire Flower:
Super Star:
1-Up Mushroom:
Bill Blaster: Drum
Hammer Bro: Distortion Guitar
Sledge Bro: Slap Bass
Buzzy Beetle:
Thwomp:
Bowser: Overdriven Guitar
Bowser Jr.: Horn
Monty Mole:
Bob-omb: Orchestra Hit
POW Block: Drum
Spike Top: Acoustic Guitar
Dry Bones: Flute
P-Switch: Drum
Muncher:
Wiggler: Bell
Shoe Goomba: Horn (made me think of Ricco Harbor)
Stiletto: Horn (similar to regular shoe)
Yoshi Egg: Tin
Yoshi: Trumpet
Koopa Clown Car:
Chain Chomp Stump: Block
Chain Chomp Head:

Any blanks means I know it's a unique sound but I can't quite recognize it by name (that's why Drum and Horn are listed multiple times, they're unique but I don't know the correct name). Anything not listed at all means that it doesn't make a unique sound or it simply cannot land on a Not Block and therefore cannot make a sound.

Are there bullshit levels that spam invisible coin blocks like crazy over pits that claim they're difficult? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, knowing how this is literally Sturgeon's Law: The Video Game.

Pi said:
Are there bullshit levels that spam invisible coin blocks like crazy over pits that claim they're difficult? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, knowing how this is literally Sturgeon's Law: The Video Game.
thankfully i haven't found any of those
like i said most of the levels that claim to be hard are just enemy spam
especially bloopers and lakitus

Pi said:
Are there bull*bleep* levels that spam invisible coin blocks like crazy over pits that claim they're difficult? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, knowing how this is literally Sturgeon's Law: The Video Game.
Do you count enemy spawns so close to you that you die before you react?

All of the bottomless pit easter egg sounds:

Mario Party Δ said:
Pi said:
Are there bull*bleep* levels that spam invisible coin blocks like crazy over pits that claim they're difficult? It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, knowing how this is literally Sturgeon's Law: The Video Game.
Do you count enemy spawns so close to you that you die before you react?
It's bad level design in a similar vein, so yes.

Well, the obvious answer is, "duh". Of course, you answered your own question by saying "it wouldn't surprise me".

Bad level design comes in many painful flavors.

Back