Super Mario Maker

Emmett Brown said:
MnSG said:
Super Mario Bros. Mario doesn't even have any sliding sprites, which can easily explain the absence of slopes.

that is literally no excuse considering all the new *bleep* they made for smb1.

the much bigger problem would probably be that slopes would look plain weird with smb1's block structure

I don't see how it will look "weird", but yeah, I agree with you; it's a horrible excuse.

The bigger sins, however, isn't so much the lack of slopes, but the fact that there are object limitations, AND course length limits as well. Obviously, Nintendo didn't want players to be uploading ridiculously long courses, but only being allowed to place up to 2000 block objects on a course heavily limits how you can set up your courses.

MnSG said:
The bigger sins, however, isn't so much the lack of slopes, but the fact that there are object limitations, AND course length limits as well. Obviously, Nintendo didn't want players to be uploading ridiculously long courses, but only being allowed to place up to 2000 block objects on a course heavily limits how you can set up your courses.
I would've guessed. I've been leery on the object and upload limits ever since they're announced, saying that these limits will bite editors at one point of the other. Guess I wasn't wrong. I hope hackers and modders get their hand on this game at one point because that would be a godsend for creators. At least I hope it's those who just want to expand the toolbox and remove those limits.

MnSG said:
Honestly the limits aren't that restrictive, I've only really been hindered by the block limit once, and even then the level I was creating was horribly complex. They only become a burden if you're trying to add multiple areas with doors imo.

Also, most of the limits are justifiable considering the lack of checkpoints. Like, I respect someone who wants to put effort into making an incredibly long, challenging level, but if I die at the very end then honestly I don't have the time or patience to go through it again unless it's a really good course. Less is more etc. etc.

To be fair, I did run into a challenging course while playing the normal difficulty 100 Mario Challenge, which wiped me out with a blind Thwomp attack; I had no warning of its presence whatsoever.

GBAToad said:
MnSG said:
Honestly the limits aren't that restrictive, I've only really been hindered by the block limit once, and even then the level I was creating was horribly complex. They only become a burden if you're trying to add multiple areas with doors imo.

Also, most of the limits are justifiable considering the lack of checkpoints. Like, I respect someone who wants to put effort into making an incredibly long, challenging level, but if I die at the very end then honestly I don't have the time or patience to go through it again unless it's a really good course. Less is more etc. etc.
Oh yeah, lack of checkpoints. But nothing is stopping anyone from abusing the time limit to make a level hard so I still advocate increasing the upper limit.

There's another Mario costume coming, although it's likely to stay in Japan from the way things look. Essentially, this is the new costume...

super-mario-maker-mario-kun-656x492.jpg

Thanks for reading.

It's Mario from the Super Mario-Kun receiving a costume

5816f3d155fef018f46ae5542e35f290cdb9be221444871634.jpg

Oh my god they actually reference that manga for once. That's freaking amazing.

Looks more like Mario than the 8-Bit Marios look like Mario.

Glitchy said:
There should be an amiibo of Super Mario Kun!Mario.

Totally

And localize the manga into the US

Has anyone ever found it disturbing how whenever you upload courses that are completely possible to clear, you end up noticing later on that your courses have received very low clear rates? It makes you wonder if you're overestimating the skills of the players who are playing your courses.

But I guess when you have numerous amateur players playing your courses, their failures end up making even your easiest courses be placed in the expert difficulty category.

I know that some of my courses can be hard, but seeing very low clear rates for them makes me think that there aren't enough expert players out there to play the courses, and actually try to complete them.

On a similar note, I've done at least 6 expert difficulty 100 Mario Challenge runs now, and my life supply stayed quite high for all of them. This makes you think that the expert difficulty isn't so much hard as it is cheap, as you can still get easy courses on that difficulty, and you're also able to skip the courses that you're given as well.

MnSG said:
Has anyone ever found it disturbing how whenever you upload courses that are completely possible to clear, you end up noticing later on that your courses have received very low clear rates? It makes you wonder if you're overestimating the skills of the players who are playing your courses.

But I guess when you have numerous amateur players playing your courses, their failures end up making even your easiest courses be placed in the expert difficulty category.

I know that some of my courses can be hard, but seeing very low clear rates for them makes me think that there aren't enough expert players out there to play the courses, and actually try to complete them.

On a similar note, I've done at least 6 expert difficulty 100 Mario Challenge runs now, and my life supply stayed quite high for all of them. This makes you think that the expert difficulty isn't so much hard as it is cheap, as you can still get easy courses on that difficulty, and you're also able to skip the courses that you're given as well.
More like totally unsurprised since I've heard this observation before and I don't have high expectations for the skill of a large playerbase.

Jason Voorhees said:
Baby Luigi said:
Glitchy said:
There should be an amiibo of Super Mario Kun!Mario.

Totally

And localize the manga into the US
at least there's a localized version in France. so Europe may get it as well.
Perhaps, but I'm still hoping this is a step forward for the manga to get publicity and more demand to be localized here.

Is there any way you can view deaths in a sub-level like you can with the regular level

GBAToad said:
Is there any way you can view deaths in a sub-level like you can with the regular level
Play the level and die?

Won't give you the full level but it's better than nothing I guess

Santa said:
GBAToad said:
Play the level and die?

Won't give you the full level but it's better than nothing I guess
yeah that's what i've been doing [nobbc]:([/nobbc]

i was wondering if there was an easier way to display all deaths at once like you can on the level preview

sucks how there isn't

GBAToad said:

It is rather odd how only the main area is shown whenever you get the course preview. That leaves you completely blind to whatever the sub-area has.

The Event Courses will also apparently have new Mystery Suit costumes.

Will the Daisy fans finally get their costume? :-X

Back