do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
  • rhythm-paradise-4e266ac20dab4.jpg
    rhythmheavenfeature.jpg

ABOUT:

Felt like it deserved a thread of its own.

For those of you unaware of this charming series, Rhythm Heaven is (as you might've guessed from the title) a rhythm game developed by everyone's favourite Nintendo team Nintendo SPD 1, and like SPD1's other flagship series WarioWare, it boasts a colourful cast of characters and minigames that carry their unique sense of style and humour, making for a fun series that's both highly addictive and relentlessly cruel.
    ugh I feel like an amazon description

I mean seriously, if bookworm chearleaders, ghost rock bands, dancing robots, sweaty wrestler interviews and rhythmic seal trainers won't intrigue you then you have no soul, I don't know what else to tell you because, like WarioWare, this series basically oozes quirkiness out the wazoo to the point where it almost appears normal.

tumblr_mrnynnE2Q91qdrfdro1_250.gif
    tumblr_lm2hjaLHfR1qep4fpo1_500.gif
    tumblr_m0njo6peEi1qf56lto1_250.gif

There are three games in the series (though hopefully there's a fourth on the horizon pls)
  • Rhythm Tengoku - the first game in the series, released for GBA. Didn't make the jump overseas unfortunately
  • Rhythm Heaven - the first game in the series released internationally, and the second game overall.
  • Rhythm Heaven Fever (NTSC)/Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise (PAL) - the first home console installment, and the third game overall.

Obviously, the music in this series is stellar and highly exploitable for TF2 crossovers as demonstrated here and here (and here for AA fans, contains spoilers). The addictive rhythmic gameplay of every minigame is what I keep coming back to in this series, though granted, I can see why some may find that tedious and boring. I must admit, it's also notoriously difficult in some cases, and watching someone else with no sense of rhythm (or someone who just sucks in general) play the game is hilarious (case in point), which is why [the Wii Version] is so fun to play with friends.

If you're talking notability, this series is relatively obscure to most Nintendo fans afaik, but as far as sales go it's certainly not one to be ignored. The DS installment performed moderately well in Japan (selling 1.92 million) and overseas, though I'm not too sure about Fever (perhaps GS will know).

But yeah, ITT discuss the Rhythm Heaven series and all wicks to it. Fave minigames, characters, those fucking monkeys, random shit, the whole lot, (tbh, I'm seriously vying for some kind of Rhythm Heaven representation in Smash Bros., that'd be sweet.) Anyone else here enjoy the series? If you haven't played it yet, Rhythm Heaven DS is more-often-than-not bargain bin in my area, not sure if that's the case anywhere else but I highly recommend dropping a few dollars for it if you can, it's a great entry point into the series.

VIDEOS (MINOR SPOILERS):
request stuff to be added if you like

NEW RHYTHM HEAVEN ANNOUNCEMENT!

Samurai Slice - one of the best/catchiest minigames imo
Dreams Of Our Generation (Long, Jap version) - Credits Song
How Rhythm Heaven Should Be Played - lol

original_357137__lt9cxKyyg2Ugshz3SB79_Hp9.jpg

Re: Rhythm Heaven series Discussion

DS game is fantastic, probably my favorite on the system and one of my favorite games overall, I'm hoping to get Fever some time soon

Definitely would like some representation in Smash too, I'd love a stage at least.

Fever is about the only game in years where I had to use "skip this stage that's too difficult for you?" feature (twice in a row, at that). Nobody told me rhythm was this complicated, though I guess being dyspraxic doesn't help.

though hopefully there's a fourth on the horizon pls)

I think that'll be in a while since Tsunku has been recently diagnosed with laryngeal cancer (though in its early stages, thankfully).

Glowsquid said:
though hopefully there's a fourth on the horizon pls)

I think that'll be in a while since Tsunku has been recently diagnosed with laryngeal cancer (though in its early stages, thankfully).
oh seriously? he's composed some of my favourite vg songs with this series; that's devastating to hear :(

i mean aside from the cats this was probably my favourite song of his in rhythm heaven, next to the credits theme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIhF_grcVP8

for a game that relies on sound bites, it sounds fantastic on the Wii. Just imagine what Rhythm Heaven could accomplish on Wii U if it was given the same treatment as SM3DW/MK8 for its soundtrack, accompanied with visuals in HD. my god

Smasher said:
DS game is fantastic, probably my favorite on the system and one of my favorite games overall, I'm hoping to get Fever some time soon

Definitely would like some representation in Smash too, I'd love a stage at least.
I heard the Choir Boy will be playable.

Its series name describes IMO the quality of the music when you play well, especially those remixes.

DS was the only one I've played several years ago, but I haven't beat :)dk:) it because if I recall right I was terrible at the fourth or third set (I don't really remember) of games and while there was a way to bypass games after repetitive failures, I wasn't bothered enough to but for the record, I vividly remember a lizard game that involved shaking or something.

So apparently I am (or was) just bad at (particular) rhythm games, I can't really say for sure. Actually, now that you've made this topic I kind of want to see if I can poach another copy of this game again so I can see if I've improved, but we'll see.

I must admit, it's also notoriously difficult in some cases, and watching someone else with no sense of rhythm (or someone who just sucks in general) play the game is hilarious (case in point), which is why [the Wii Version] is so fun to play with friends.

I can definitely attest to that. I've been watching my sister play the game and it's almost as much fun as actually playing it.

Already mentioned in another thread, but might as well bump this one: A new installment has been announced for the 3DS!. It is set for release in the summer and is made of 100 games, 30 brand new and the rest a "best of" of the past installments.

Am I a wee bit premature, or does the art on the new games looks "off" to anyone else..? nvm I'm a fucking idiot

never thought I'd see this thread bumped with a new game announcement

I'm so happy right now.

it's the 'best of' that i'm looking forward to the most I think. 100 games in one sounds amazing holy shit

hella 8)

i love rhythm heaven to death and fever was pretty fun too

i just hope they bring back the touch controls, i really loved them. they made the game unique and fun

Meowth said:
I'm hoping to get Fever some time soon

have since beaten it, original is better but Fever is also really great.

definitely want this one.

Definitely getting this assuming it gets localized.

I'll probably still suck, though.

wow i definitely want this
im kinda sad now that they didnt announce this for localisation yet but theres still like a whole year to go for that i guess so yea

Nintendo please give me a rhythm heaven home menu theme to go with this game

it would be the only one I'd buy

36:00-37:30, it confirms a June 11th Japanese release and shows off some co-operative multiplayer via download play.

Re: Rhythm Heaven series discussion +

yay remixes ~

not sure whether I like the Japanese name or not (not that it'll matter really) but a June release gives me high hopes that this'll be released sometime before 2017 if we're lucky yessssss

no sign of monkey watch yet - also good

fuck monkey watch

frog hop is back though <3

I love this game!!!!! :D I'm an expert of all the games on rhythm heaven... Except for moai duop. Ohhhhh do not get me started on moai duop. -_-*

In Rhythm Heaven Fever, I am currently at 45 Superbs. The only ones I have beaten yet are: Love Rap 2, Cheer Readers 2, Figure Fighter 2 and Micro-Row 2, and Remix 10. Since I have a lot of trouble with the first three's first versions, I wonder how long I could beat those. Micro-Row is a special case because I didn't beat the first one (my cousin did), so I don't have much experience even though they have a practice mode in the sequel.

If I had to obtain Perfect for all games, I will definitely be stressed out, and potentially faint from all that pressure.

Thanks for reading.

Oh my gosh... this is the best thread ever.

Rhythm Heaven is so, so good! That's probably why I've gotten 50 Perfects in all three files in the DS version and 50 in all four files in Fever, as well as all Perfects in the GBA one. As you can see, I probably love this series WAY too much.

Speaking of which, is anyone else kind of disappointed at how little representation it got in SSB4? Three trophies but not even a single song feels sort of unfair.

Pit said:
Speaking of which, is anyone else kind of disappointed at how little representation it got in SSB4?
yeah

my guess is there was an issue with licensing the music, but on the other hand the Wrestler & Reporter trophy in Smash Wii U is my favourite trophy

such a shame really

I wonder if it's possible that there is a Wii U version of the new Rhythm Heaven game to go along with the 3DS one, similar to the Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars pair for both. I understand if that's not possible since the one on 3DS seems like it is tailor-made for it, but it would be cool to see it there too.

Thanks for reading.

winstein said:
I wonder if it's possible that there is a Wii U version of the new Rhythm Heaven game to go along with the 3DS one, similar to the Mario vs Donkey Kong Tipping Stars pair for both. I understand if that's not possible since the one on 3DS seems like it is tailor-made for it, but it would be cool to see it there too.

Thanks for reading.

That sounds like a pretty cool concept! I'm all for a Wii U version as well, but what would the purpose of pairing them up be if there was one? (Maybe transferring scores and perfect and stuff? I dunno, if it were to happen they would probably find a reason to.)

Also, there's some new gameplay footage! The past game revamps look all nice and smooth, it's awesome:

Back