Mario Kart reflections

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (DS)

Waluigi Pinball was a cool idea, but it never really appealed to me like it did for others. Wario Stadium was fun though. The music wasn't very good for either of them though.

Crackin355 said:
Airship Fortress was my favourite course. It worked a lot better on DS than it did in 7 though.
Agreed, I was okay with it in 7, but I did prefer the DS version.

Waluigi Pinball and Airship Fortress are the best Mario Kart courses. Therefore, MKDS is the best game in the series.

Magolor said:
Waluigi Pinball and Airship Fortress are the best Mario Kart courses. Therefore, MKDS is the best game in the series.
Mario Kart 7 has both of them as well though.

MKDS is the first Mario Kart I actually was good at. (Mainly because my first MK, 64, was when I was very young, so all I did was casually drive around and not try to win the race) So it really is the most nostalgic MK for me. My favorite course is Waluigi Pinball of course. Also MKDS was the first game I played that contained Waluigi, so that was awesome too.

Waluigi make every game better!

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (Wii)

I love Mario Kart Wii!

It's one of the few games that my sister will play with me.

I'm always either Rosalina or Toadette.

Wii, to me, is my favourite Mario Kart game. It has arguably the best roster, some great track design, the removal of Snaking, and is fun with friends, especially with the Mega Mushroom. You're always having fun in Wii. The only shortcomings are the lack of innovation compared to other Mario Karts, and the butt-ugly graphics. But that's about it.

I liked Wii more than DS. Had good tracks, with Koopa Cape still being on of my overall favourites, good character roster and I overall liked the kart and bikes themselves, even if bikes were a lot better than karts.

I have the best memories with Wii.

I mean, it had Bowser Jr. That game made me love Bowser Jr.

On the topic of courses, I think Koopa Cape is my favorite, but I think that it has one of the best Rainbow Roads.

Well, I just played that online a couple times this month-and each time, I actually played as Miis that I created based off of some of my favorite cartoon characters-and I especially liked Coconut Mall and Moonview Highway.

Wii's fun and all. But I did not like the default item system that you're stuck with when playing normal Grand Prix. There's no other Mario Kart game where the Blue Shell was more annoying then in MKWii. I know Vs. Mode gave you the option to decide how items go and everything. Therefore from that end with the many different choices. MKWii may be objectively the Best Mario Kart in the Series. But the utter chaos that is the default items and the unbalance between Bikes and Karts kinda drops it a few pegs for me.

Luckily Mario Kart 8 looks to avoid the same problems that MKWii had by making the items more like it was in Mario Kart 7 which was far more tolerable. And Karts and Bikes now perform better then one another depending on the course.

Good Mario Kart. Good tracks and Daisy's voice is the best in this game.

Cirdec said:
Good Mario Kart. Good tracks and Daisy's voice is the most annoying voice in this game.
Fixed. :P

I miss the online mode in this game. Even though I typically got my ass kicked on it.

It's also fun to hack the music and textures of the game. While I do like MKDS a bit better, its online sucked ass compared to MKWii's. I know there is a server project for MKW but I am too lazy to do all the necessary stuff to play it. Ah well, I still have 7 and soon 8 to play online with :P

Dreamy Fawful said:
It's also fun to hack the music and textures of the game. While I do like MKDS a bit better, its online sucked ass compared to MKWii's. I know there is a server project for MKW but I am too lazy to do all the necessary stuff to play it. Ah well, I still have 7 and soon 8 to play online with :P
Definitely. I'm also looking forward to this in 8. If you really want online, you wouldn't make your "lazy" excuse.

I looooooooooove Mario Kart Wii. Easily my favorite game in the Mario Kart series (that is...until Mario Kart 8 comes out!)

Modding and music hacking the game makes the experience SO much more enjoyable. If any of you saw my Mario Kart modding videos, you can tell I had SO MUCH FUN WITH THIS GAME!

I've always wanted to be able to play/make my own CTs for this game but my paranoia of accidentally screwing my Wii in the process has always got the better of me, even if I get it right then there's this subconscious feeling that I would have "tainted" my system with unofficial code even if I don't actually install anything. I think I've completely modeled two retro CTs from scratch and still haven't put them to use yet (I've already shown Toad Circuit, the other is GBA Battle Course 2).

Maybe I'll buy a second Wii since they're really cheap nowadays.

But on to the actual vanilla game, one thing I specifically remember doing over and over before I got this game back in 2009 I would go over to the UK gamesite (http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii/Mario-Kart-Wii-281848.html) and just playing the videos showing the courses over and over, listing to the title screen music in full brings back so many memories.

I still remember how awesome the remixes of the DS themes sounded to me since I had played DS far more than necessary back them. Makes me wonder how my reaction to Mario Kart 8 would have been back then.

Making CTs will in NO WAY brick your game. The files are just simply patches: if the files don't work, just delete them and the game just reverts to its original state. I've attempted (and failed) at making a battle track. I ended up deleting it and the game works fine afterward.

As a matter of fact, back in November and December 2011, I actually tried to create two different CTs, but didn't manage to get past the modeling stage-one was supposed to take place in a scaled-down Detroit in 1961 and the other was supposed to be set on an island shaped like Huckleberry Hound (a la Yoshi Circuit).

TheYoshiState said:
As a matter of fact, back in November and December 2011, I actually tried to create two different CTs, but didn't manage to get past the modeling stage-one was supposed to take place in a scaled-down Detroit in 1961 and the other was supposed to be set on an island shaped like Huckleberry Hound (a la Yoshi Circuit).
It's pretty easy to make them once you read the tutorials
way back in 2010 i used to make custom tracks, they were pretty shit tho

I thought it was tedious; I mean, you gotta set checkpoints and CPU routes and Y values and all that good crap

Can't wait until we can hack the Wii U. It would be so much fun to hack MK8.

Back