Mario Kart reflections

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (64)

64 has great tracks, good controls. The AI makes the game challenging, even if it's not fair sometimes. I loved the fact you can hit characters to make them spin out, that feature made weight more useful while this caracteristic is not very useful in other Mario Kart, I would like it returns.
And also this game is fuĺl of glitches which are fun to use.

Mario Kart 64 was all right. It was a fun multiplayer experience, though I enjoyed Super Mario Kart more than this one. It threw the series into the direction of a more party-oriented game, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing.

Baby Luigi said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Ah, Yoshi Valley
The best course ever
Excluding Royal Raceway and its Peach's Castle
They should add things like that to more courses in the future

They walled off Peach's Castle in Mario Kart 8 >___________________________>
That was my favourite thing about MK64...

Potted Piranha Plant said:
Baby Luigi said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Ah, Yoshi Valley
The best course ever
Excluding Royal Raceway and its Peach's Castle
They should add things like that to more courses in the future
They walled off Peach's Castle in Mario Kart 8 >___________________________>
That was my favourite thing about MK64...
Same. I play it sometimes just to explore the castle's courtyard.

Infestissumam said:
It threw the series into the direction of a more party-oriented game, which can be both a good thing and a bad thing.
How?

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (Super Circuit)

15th for me right now.

I liked how this game had the original's courses in it as a nice bonus, but there were too many repeats (SEVEN BOWSER CASTLES) with the original's added on, but not counting those they did a decent job (four Bowser Castles was the main offender) compared to Super Mario Kart, at least.

I'd also like to mention I hated that repetitive nature the original had because I've only remembered that now. There were only eight original tracks, the rest were just sequels.

Super Circuit: Terrible controls, bad ranking system, repetitive courses. Music on retro tracks are the only good thing in this game.

I liked this game. Sure, controls were slippery, but the courses were unique and fun.

The ranking system did suck though.

Personally, I felt the ranking system gave a nice challenge but it's wayyyy too stringent. It's mostly hard because of the controls though. I mean, I get penalized if I use Yoshi (who gives a zero ranking bonus points compared to Bowser where you get 45 ranking bonus points)? Not that I'm complaining about it

I love the Super Circuit tracks but Nintendo has some sort of vendetta against Super Circuit. Case in point for their retro selections:

DS: Luigi Circuit, Peach Circuit, Bowser's Castle 2, Sky Garden
Wii: Bowser's Castle 3, Shy Guy Beach
7: Bowser's Castle 1
8: Mario Circuit

With the exceptions of Shy Guy Beach and Sky Garden, they chose, like literally, the blandest Mario Kart tracks. Are they seriously like, "Hey, let's choose the generic Super Circuit tracks and ignore the stand-out tracks like Cheese Land and watch the Mario Kart fanbase squirm!"

Though I honestly think their GBA Mario Circuit arrangement in Mario Kart 8 is still fantastic.

My favorite tracks were Boo Lake, Cheese Land, Cheep Cheep Island, Ribbon Road, and Rainbow Road.

Baby Luigi said:
With the exceptions of Shy Guy Beach and Sky Garden, they chose, like literally, the blandest Mario Kart tracks. Are they seriously like, "Hey, let's choose the generic Super Circuit tracks and ignore the stand-out tracks like Cheese Land and watch the Mario Kart fanbase squirm!"

I REALLY hate that. I was hoping they would change this time, but nope. I wouldn't even be surprised if GBA Rainbow Road is skipped over in MK9 (if that ever comes).

Baby Luigi said:
Though I honestly think their GBA Mario Circuit arrangement in Mario Kart 8 is still fantastic.

I like it too.

Well I was relieved regardless that it wasn't a GBA Bowser Castle but that's like my lowest expectations are met: using a freaking circuit instead.

Don't hate me for saying I actually kinda liked the GBA Bowser Castles, specifically GBA Bowser Castle 3 and 4. I just hate how they keep remaking them.

Well they probably reuse them just because there's so many Bowser Castles, and I'm guessing they want to get through all the retro courses eventually.

Nysic said:
Don't hate me for saying I actually kinda liked the GBA Bowser Castles, specifically GBA Bowser Castle 3 and 4. I just hate how they keep remaking them.

Oh I liked them too until Nintendo abused the ---- out of them

Speaking of, they also abused the SNES Mario Circuits.

Nysic said:
Speaking of, they also abused the SNES Mario Circuits.

Hey at least we got a Donut Plains this time around

I wanted a Vanilla Lake though

Vanilla Lake 2 or Choco Island 1 for MK9 pls

Good thing Choco Island 2 is already used for Mario Kart DS. I hated that course in both games.

Ah, good old Double Dash. My favorite Mario Kart. If only we had you in HD.

Double Dash is the game where I started liking Baby Luigi.

Hated the controls. The game's getting dated.

I literally used to sneak this on to the GameCube in the middle of the nights to play this some more. Then on occasion, my brother would catch me up, and then I'd coax him into playing Battle mode and some more races with me before sending me to bed with a slap on the wrist because I screwed him over in Dino Dino Jungle. And Baby Park. Just, Baby Park. The Bowser shells, the massive bananas, that place was just crazy when you set it to nine laps. Those were the days, this is probably my (second) favourite Mario Kart.

And I'm still hoping for the All Nitro/Retro Cup Tours, that idea was brilliant.

Glaceon said:
And I'm still hoping for the All Nitro/Retro Cup Tours, that idea was brilliant.

Just play VS mode for 16 races, using random

Done.

Seriously why does everyone want All-Cup Tour back? It's nothing special other than Luigi Circuit, random, Rainbow Road.

Baby Luigi said:
Glaceon said:

Done.

Seriously why does everyone want All-Cup Tour back? It's nothing special other than Luigi Circuit, random, Rainbow Road.

This. I mean, you can do it by the method Baby Luigi said previously. You even get to choose Luigi Circuit as the first track if you really want to feel you're playing the All-Cup Tour again.

Other than that, I agree that Double Dash has been the best Mario Kart so far, but, again, like Baby Luigi said, it's getting dated because of its not-so-good controls. We really need a Double-Dash!!-styled game again. Actually, I think Mario Kart 8 should have been like that. Imagine playing in doubles in HD... :')

Baby Luigi said:
Glaceon said:

Done.

Huh, I think Double Dash took over my brain when I said that, what you said was what I actually meant by All Nitro/Retro Cup Tours.

They didn't have VS Mode in Mario Kart 7 (and it's not because it was on a handheld because it was in Mario Kart DS) and that's all I have right now, so I'm just hoping that was a one-off with their exclusion of it.

Back