Mario Kart reflections

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games (64)

I'll just quote what I said over in the unpopular opinions thread

Northern Verve said:
- Mario Kart 64 may have not aged well, but I still think it's one of the overall better games of the series for the sheer nostalgic charm, selection of courses, soundtrack, fair items, and the impact it's had on the Mario Kart series. I get the sense Nintendo knows MK64 is that nostalgic for many longtime fans as they've had more references to MK64 in Mario Kart 7 & 8 more so then the previous games did. Not just in the retro tracks and their remixes (Cause otherwise previous games also did that), but also including the Pipe Frame (I know technically the Pipe frame debuted in the very first Mario Kart, but I still attribute it more to Mario Kart 64 anyway), and also removing the wings from the Blue Shell to make it capable of traveling on the ground like it did in MK64 (Until it got to the first player anyway). I acknowledge the game's flaws, with the heavy rubberbanding A.I. even for Mario Kart standards, the controls can be awkward and/or slippery, and while I love N64's Rainbow Road I understand it could be boring and/or way too long for some (Thankfully, Mario Kart 8 will remaster N64 Rainbow Road to be alot more enjoyable. Considering I already enjoyed MK64's Rainbow Road. It will be extra special for me ). But I just can't help but love the game for the times I've had growing up playing the game with my dad. Or messing around in Battle Mode with my Brother that no other Mario Kart game since then have given me the same type of joy. I think Mario Kart 8 could finally make me say without a doubt that game could be the best in the series. But Mario Kart 64 will always have a special place in my heart ^^

No one will ever convince me that MK64 was not a worthy game for the N64. Maybe I keep having Nostalgia Goggles whenever I talk about the game. I do at least concede it's not exactly the best Mario Kart gameplay wise. But almost none of the other Mario Karts have ever caught the same kind of charm that MK64 never fails to show up whenever I'm playing.

I liked Banshee Boardwalk, but it was a pain on 64. Same with Yoshi Valley.

64 aged terribly. Bad controls, atrocious AI, terrible item balance, bland courses, overrated battle mode. I hate that game.

Re: Reflections of past Mario Kart games

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 is a fun game, and that announcer guy is funny. I'd like to actually play the thing, but the machines, I heard, are money hogs, so I just put the thing in an emulator.
You forgot the best part you can play as mother fuckin pacman
Also Mario kart 64 is one of the worst mario games because of terrible graphics, controls, and rubber band A.I

the arcade games kinda suck and they deserve their bad reception

Niime said:
the arcade games kinda suck and they deserve their bad reception

If you emulate it you remove all things bad about the arcade games

Like the mostly terrible track design?

Glowsquid said:
what i was talking about
the ridiculous cost is also a factor, but the game just isn't fun

Back on topic, I loved 64's tracks. Banshee Boardwalk and Yoshi Valley were my favorites.

However, rubberband ai is a bitch.

Plus the 64 controller expected you to have three hands. ~~~~

Glowsquid said:
Well, the visuals are nice, I guess, and there was a Diamond City... in name, I guess.

Glowsquid said:

I actually like the tracks from the Arcade games. So bite me.

Magikrazy said:
Back on topic, I loved 64's tracks. Banshee Boardwalk and Yoshi Valley were my favorites.

However, rubberband ai is a *bleep*.

I hated those two courses

Baby Luigi said:
Magikrazy said:

Oh my god, I hated those two courses with a passion as well! Along with Extra Mode Toad's Turnpike.

Baby Luigi said:
Magikrazy said:

Oh my god, I hated those two courses with a passion as well!

You're my twin so you're expected to share my opinions :rolleyes:

I liked that game, probably more than Super Circuit. My favorites were Wario Stadium, Royal Raceway, Yoshi Valley, and Bowser's Castle. That was probably my favorite Bowser's Castle.

The AI was actually never a problem for me. I got gold on all cups quickly, besides Extra Flower Cup.

Toad's Turnpike deserves to die in a ditch.

Super Smash Misty said:
Ah, Yoshi Valley
The best course ever
Excluding Royal Raceway and its Peach's Castle
They should add things like that to more courses in the future

Super Smash Misty said:
Super Smash Misty said:
Ah, Yoshi Valley
The best course ever
Excluding Royal Raceway and its Peach's Castle
They should add things like that to more courses in the future

They walled off Peach's Castle in Mario Kart 8 >___________________________>

I... I can't find a reasonable explanation. Maybe it's to prevent confusion of noob racers?

I... I can't find a reasonable explanation. Maybe it's to prevent confusion of noob racers?

If it was that was the dumbest reason ever

Hopefully it still has collision and we can just freefly into it.

I doubt they'll make collision for a part of the course where they deliberately fenced it off.

PeteyPiranhaPerson said:
Hopefully it still has collision and we can just freefly into it.
Yeah, I'd be surprised if your character DOESN'T fall through the ground in that area.

Who knows, Maple Treeway had collision on some normally inaccessible areas.

Sometimes there was collision in areas inaccessible to racers in previous games so that thrown items such as bananas wouldn't just fall through the ground, if this is the case again it will probably just be rough simple collision to not take up more space than necessary.

Back