Unpopular Pokemon opinions

I think that legal Pokémon are just as valid as legit Pokémon and it doesn't require any skill at all to hatch a million eggs just to get the perfect IVs. Literally, it's all RNG, and it's silly that people boast that they got their Pokémon the legitimate way, through pure skill and hard work. Yeah, the hard work of biking back and forth on a route all day. No thank you. Heck, if you're lucky enough, you can get a perfect Pokémon within the first egg and no one would know, which makes it into a game of he said, she said anyway.

I'd say hacking your game to get a perfect IV, yet legal Pokemon is more devotion than just pain-stakingly praying to the RNG gods.

GalacticPetey said:
I think it's more about the dedication. It shows patience and devotion to what you're doing.
That still doesn't really factor in the fact that you could just get lucky and hatch the right egg the instant that you get it. It took me maybe two hours to get a shiny Eevee, two days to get a perfect Houndour (perfect IVs in all stat, the perfect nature, the exact stats I wanted, the better of its abilities, etc.), and then five days to get the exact Eevee that I wanted. It's entirely random each time, but even though the Houndour is undeniably better than the Eevee (the one that took me five days, that is, which only had five perfect IVs, decent egg moves, Hidden Ability, etc.), according to the whole "time = effort" scale, I apparently worked harder for the Eevee.

I'd say hacking your game to get a perfect IV, yet legal Pokemon is more devotion than just pain-stakingly praying to the RNG gods.
I mean, in a lot of cases you need to buy an external cheating device for that to even be possible. And even if you don't and you play around with the coding itself, that takes skill all on its own.

- I found Gen VI very mediocre.

-I love the glitches in Gen I, and don't see why Missingno gets so much hate.

-I hack Pokemon with perfect IVs and shininess and I don't give a fuck.

-Gen V was really underrated.

ルイージ said:
I think that legal Pokémon are just as valid as legit Pokémon and it doesn't require any skill at all to hatch a million eggs just to get the perfect IVs. Literally, it's all RNG, and it's silly that people boast that they got their Pokémon the legitimate way, through pure skill and hard work. Yeah, the hard work of biking back and forth on a route all day. No thank you. Heck, if you're lucky enough, you can get a perfect Pokémon within the first egg and no one would know, which makes it into a game of he said, she said anyway.
Yes, they are just as valid because in the end, the Pokémon are identical whenever you spend 1-6,000 days breeding 1 to 50 million babies or spend a few minutes hacking them into existence. With an archaic IV system complete with natures, abilities, and many other uncontrollable random variables, Pokémon is begging for people to hack their games because there are hardly any sane people who are willing to go through hours of simulated puppy breeding mills to get 31 IVs across the board just so they can barely compete in the metagame, nor does anyone deserve going through such mind-numbing torture. Why would anyone want to do this when hacking is readily available and much more mentally stimulating? This isn't "patience" and "devotion", it's just dumb luck similar to spending hours in front of a slot machine.

Striker Mario said:
Yes, they are just as valid because in the end, the Pokémon are identical whenever you spend 1-6,000 days breeding 1 to 50 million babies or spend a few minutes hacking them into existence. With an archaic IV system complete with natures, abilities, and many other uncontrollable random variables, Pokémon is begging for people to hack their games because there are hardly any sane people who are willing to go through hours of simulated puppy breeding mills to get 31 IVs across the board just so they can barely compete in the metagame, nor does anyone deserve going through such mind-numbing torture. Why would anyone want to do this when hacking is readily available and much more mentally stimulating? This isn't "patience" and "devotion", it's just dumb luck similar to spending hours in front of a slot machine.
Honestly, I'm not even entirely convinced that people on those Pokémon forums don't hack some of them in. They can claim all they want that they painstakingly bred them, but it's just a touch suspicious to me that they're able to produce the exact Pokémon I want to trade them for.

Plus the real skill is in how you use 'em, not how you get 'em.

This is even worse for legendaries because no breeding. 3 perfect guaranted IV is not enough because the odd of getting a 5 perfect IV legendary with the right nature and in the rights stats is 27/50*(1/2*(1/32)2+1/2*(1/32)3), approximately 0,03%.
So it is needed to do at least 2549 tries to have more than 50% chance to get at least one perfect.
This is pretty much why I still didn't catch all the legendaries in my Alpha Sapphire game and I don't bother to get perfect stats.

Oh hell, yeah, I didn't even take that into account. That would mean a lot of freaking restarts on catching those things. Must be mind-numbing. Kind of like speed-running Pokémon, but less rewarding because hacking exists, and hacking has existed to help make it easier for those willing to go in the competitive scene. It's like turning down a car to walk all the way to work.

Cirdec said:
This is even worse for legendaries because no breeding. 3 perfect guaranted IV is not enough because the odd of getting a 5 perfect IV legendary with the right nature and in the rights stats is 27/50*(1/2*(1/32)2+1/2*(1/32)3), approximately 0,03%.
So it is needed to do at least 2549 tries to have more than 50% chance to get at least one perfect.
This is pretty much why I still didn't catch all the legendaries in my Alpha Sapphire game and I don't bother to get perfect stats.
I remember getting a shiny Giratina with all perfect IVs from Wonder Trade. There is no way that wasn't RNG manipulated or hacked.

It's like turning down a car to walk all the way to work.
This analogy would be perfect if it weren't for the fact that walking can actually be physically beneficial.

There's, like, literally no benefit whatsoever to relying on RNG. Except maybe the fact that you'll be allowed in more tournaments, but a lot of systems can't actually catch hacked Pokémon if they're legal.

Also while I have considered it, speedrunning Pokémon seems like it's a nightmare since RNG can ruin your run at every step. Most of the high records are because people got lucky on the important fights.

ルイージ said:
I remember getting a shiny Giratina with all perfect IVs from Wonder Trade. There is no way that wasn't RNG manipulated or hacked.
It's still possible (after all, you're nearly as likely to get a Pokemon that has a bold nature and a 20/4/13/17/20/14 IV spread) but yeah, it's more likely that RNG manipulation was done. And that the person was willing to turn it over via Wonder Trade... although there can be a lot of legit reasons for that too.

ルイージ said:
It's like turning down a car to walk all the way to work.
This analogy would be perfect if it weren't for the fact that walking can actually be physically beneficial.

There's, like, literally no benefit whatsoever to relying on RNG. Except maybe the fact that you'll be allowed in more tournaments, but a lot of systems can't actually catch hacked Pokémon if they're legal.

Also while I have considered it, speedrunning Pokémon seems like it's a nightmare since RNG can ruin your run at every step. Most of the high records are because people got lucky on the important fights.
Yeah, that's true. I would also factor in environmental benefits as well, but otherwise, no one is going to walk to work when it's 10 miles away in this time and age. I think the only benefit from RNG is just these good feelings that you didn't cheat or something, but it's not really bragging rights. I'd just feel pity, not even in a condescending kind of pity, just that no one deserves this. But yeah, it's still going to be really hard for tournaments to distinguish between generating Pokemon and sheer time spent on breeding, so I really think people should just generate Pokemon and find out much earlier what competitive combination and tactics work rather than waste time on breeding mills/soft resetting.

GalacticPetey said:
There was a shiny Giratina giveaway years ago. It was probably something they soft reset for.
I don't see why they'd have to if they really did it. And besides those who make official mass distribution events have all access to the numbers and data, I'd think it would be more likely that they just generated those to save time and money and focus on other things like developing new Pokemon/forms.

Since Pokémon from Red, Blue and Yellow will be able to be transferred to Sun Moon, that makes me hope Gen 7 will get rid of IVs (read, every Pokémon will have 31 IV in every stat). Because in Gen 1 instead of IV there were DV, values between 0 and 15.
But that sounds too good to be true.

Cirdec said:
Since Pokémon from Red, Blue and Yellow will be able to be transferred to Sun & Moon.

Machamp with No Guard + Fissure TM = Uber.

Then transfer that to Sun & Moon... What have I done

200_s.gif

Afterstormer said:
Cirdec said:
Since Pokémon from Red, Blue and Yellow will be able to be transferred to Sun & Moon.

200_s.gif

That's why I think No Guard will be probably updated to not affect OHKO moves. But even if it doesn't, it won't change anything on Smogon, since OHKO moves are banned, so not Uber.

Cirdec said:
Afterstormer said:
Cirdec said:

200_s.gif

That's why I think No Guard will be probably updated to not affect OHKO moves. But even if it doesn't, it won't change anything on Smogon, since OHKO moves are banned, so not Uber.

Yeah, No Guard needs to be nerfed. Like Greninja

I will laugh at anyone who tries it when I'm using a flying type.

Or using a Pokemon with Sturdy. Or Levitate.

Baby Luigi said:
Or using a Pokemon with Sturdy. Or Levitate.

Machamp has Stone Edge, Knock Off and Dynamic Punch to beat most of them though.
Rocky Helmet Skarmory seems like the best counter.

Well, since it's the Unpopular Pokémon opinions, I'll go ahead and give my unpopular opinion...

I think Red and Blue need yet another remake. Since Kanto is my favorite region, I'd love to see it in full 3D, and with updated metagame (Special split, Fairy-type, new items and abilities, Mega evolutions, etc). FireRed and LeafGreen were horrible for me.

In every generation except II and VI, the grass starter is my favorite. Venusaur, Sceptile, Torterra, and Serperior are all awesome and Rowlet is looking that way too. Chesnaught is also really cool but Greninja just etches him out as my favorite of he Gen VI starters.

Grass types in general are some of my favorites. There's the aforementioned starters but also Gogoat, Victreebel, Ferrothorn, Shiftry, Exeggutor, and Trevenant. Yeah grass is pretty meh in competitive, but I love me some grass types.

I don't see what makes Gardevoir look feminine. I've always seen the "dress" as a cape or robe. And I think Gallade looks like it could be either gender as well.

The totem Pokémon in Sun & Moon were easy for me, especially Lurantis. 1HKO with my Torracat's Inferno Overdrive Z-move. Totem Mimikyu was easy as well with my Mudsdale.

Also, I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but Mimikyu a very cute pokémon. One of my favourite ghost-types ever.
ghost.png

Back