Unpopular Pokemon opinions

Cirdec said:
Godzilla said:
Toothless said:
Cirdec said:
Scizor suck.

I agree with this. Although, it is mostly because I think Scyther is infinitely times more superior.

Dat technician bullet punch though.

KOs for days.

Meh, Arceus Extreme Speed is far better.

Actually, STAB plus technician puts Bullet punch at a higher base power than extreme speed. Not to mention Scizor's attack stat is higher than Arceus.

Toothless said:
Even thoough I have never played it, what I have seen and heard of X and y, I love it! Like, there is a chance that X and Y may become my second favorite generation!.
Not if you like to give crap about easy difficulty. BTW, what's your 1st-favorite?

Godzilla said:
Cirdec said:
Godzilla said:
Toothless said:
Cirdec said:
Scizor suck.

I agree with this. Although, it is mostly because I think Scyther is infinitely times more superior.

Dat technician bullet punch though.

KOs for days.

Meh, Arceus Extreme Speed is far better.

Actually, STAB plus technician puts Bullet punch at a higher base power than extreme speed. Not to mention Scizor's attack stat is higher than Arceus.

No, Technician multiply the power of moves with the power inferior to 50 by 1.5. Considering STAB the actual power of Bullet Punch if Scizor use it is 40*1.5*1.5 = 90.
Arceus is Normal type so Extreme Speed has Stab. Hence the power of Extreme Speed if Arceus uses it is 80*1.5 = 120.
Also with neutral natures, Scizor max attack is 359 while Arceus is 339. In the damage formula, the damage is influenced by power* attack stat. 359*90 = 32310 < 339*120 = 40680 so Arceus Extreme Speed does more damage.

Luxio said:
Not if you like to give crap about easy difficulty.
Bleh. Pokemon has been pretty easy for a while now. Gen 3 didn't challenge me at all...

Luxio said:
Toothless said:
Even thoough I have never played it, what I have seen and heard of X and y, I love it! Like, there is a chance that X and Y may become my second favorite generation!.
Not if you like to give crap about easy difficulty. BTW, what's your 1st-favorite?

I like gen6 a lot, but it does have some legitimate shortcomings other than its difficulty (which I don't mind because if the game is too easy for you, just play it with some self-imposed restrictions). All in all it made some good additions to the usual formula, and the graphical overhaul is amazing.

But at the same time the game they built around that is a little... shallow at times. The utter forgettableness and wasted potential of your rivals comes to mind, or the fact that your actions never matter until maybe the very end. I went into greater detail about what bothers me here:

Pink Gold Tubba Blubba said:
What I mainly didn't like about the plot was that Team Flare's plans would have completely fallen apart if the game didn't force you to be a complete idiot at times. I really hate how it didn't even really matter when you beat someone. Battling Lysandre for the first time comes to mind. He fights you as soon as you enter the hidden area in his café and when you win he just walks away.

That makes no sense whatsoever. I mean think about it. You have a team of powerful monsters at your command and all that's stopping you from cutting him into ribbons is the fact that he has such a team as well. But once that team is dealt with, he has no protection anymore. He should be at your mercy. The notion that he gets to nonchalantly walk around after that, acting all smug while you can't do anything to stop him is ridiculous. I mean if you don't want him to be disposed of as a villain right there, at least come up with some sort of semi realistic justification for his ability to escape. Have him stall you somehow, idk. Send out a bunch of grunts, anything but doing nothing at all while relegating my character to a vegetable.

The by far biggest example of plot-induced stupidity is at the end of the café hideout in Lumious City. You defeat the boss who kinda looks like he's trying to cosplay as Blaine but forgot what he looked like, but again they somehow manage to defy all reason and make demands, despite not being in any position to do that. They then force you to press a button, which again you would have to be an idiot to press a button just because a clearly evil scientist bent on the destruction of the whole country told you to. But instead of the logical thing happening and your character being like "Man screw your button, I'm turning you in to the authorities, or into shish kebab if you don't stop making demands", the game won't let you progress until you fulfilled your moron quota for the day and pressed the button, without anything really forcing you plot-wise. And oh surprise, you defeated everyone in charge, but the big evil plan gets put into motion anyway because you're playing as a potato and really everything you did was pointless anyway.

Another thing I didn't like happened in the Geosenge hideout place. You meet up with your neighbor and Shauna, and you encounter a locked door that is secured with a code mechanism of sorts. Now Shauna notes that such a door is esentially an advanced form of a puzzle, and it has been established before that she is really into puzzles and considers herself to be good at them. They could have given her some time to shine here, using her puzzle-solving skills to save the day and prove that while she might be a ditz, she has some serious skills of her own. But instead of being allowed to fix the problem with her own abilities, she uses a puzzle solving machine that some guy built for her because ha ha ha you thought you'd get character development, Shauna? Well screw you! She then receives praise that amounts to: "You have proven you are able to carry an item, Shauna. Good job." Seeing her character wasted like that was really disappointing.

I guess there is also another instance of forced stupidity in that you, as the player, can most likely see Lysandre being evil coming from a mile away, but can't do anything about it. Now this instance I give a pass because it makes SOME amount of sense. Lysandre is a very influental, respected person, and if a random shmuck tried to walk up to someone and tell them the well-liked and famous president of the telephone company is secretly evil, they'd get laughed at. It would be nice to have a scene like that actually in the game, but oh well.

Now all of that said I actually like the game. It makes some nice additions to the formula, the music is decent, it has Furfrou decent new mons with cool designs and performance, the battles are now gorgeous, the professor is ultra fancy, and despite of how underdeveloped most of the characters are, the ending is actually kind of cute. It's just that the plot is struggling to keep up with the other improvements, and it shows in places.

In any case, you don't need to be a genwunner to throw some criticism at this generation, and running around calling people that is kind of dumb.

Luxio said:
Toothless said:
Pokémon has always been easy, except I had a lot of trouble with SoulSilver, which is my favorite game. And Gen II is my favorite generation by miles.

Gen 5 is my favourite Pokemon generation.

Who said the core Pokemon is hard? Just overgrind your Pokemon and know your strengths and weaknesses of Pokemon and exploit the bad AI. It isn't hard at all.

If you like challenge, battle against real people or something.

Charizard sucks and everyone knows that from that battle depicted in that one Smash picture, Charizard will be the loser.

Godzilla said:
That statement was true up until gen vi. He's now the most used Pokemon in OU. You can thank his mega forms for that

Because GameFreak realized how much of a terrible Pokemon it always was and wanted to give its poor little baby a buff.

I actually like Charizard.

I don't understand why it got two mega forms though...

charizard isn't the coolest, but he's alright imo. the backlash hate against him for being popular is rather silly
Or Mewtwo, for that matter. Both of his mega forms look silly.

But that 194 Sp. Atk... it's so beautiful... n-no! My Mewtwo shall remain pure! No stupid appearances allowed!

Dr. Javelin said:
charizard isn't the coolest, but he's alright imo. the backlash hate against him for being popular is rather silly

Pretty much my opinion for most things hated for being popular. If you hate something, hate it for its actual flaws, not because others like it.

And before someone takes this as initiative to post a list of Charizard flaws, yes, I know it has a quadruple weakness to stealth rock, I know it is not dragon type, I know it is weak against Brock (if you don't know what you're doing), and I know it stole your lunch money and called you fat.

Or Mewtwo, for that matter. Both of his mega forms look silly.

But that 194 Sp. Atk... it's so beautiful... n-no! My Mewtwo shall remain pure! No stupid appearances allowed!

Well, for Mewtwo it's a little less stupid though, because Mewtwo isn't part of a trio where one side having two forms over the others one forms looks extremely jarring.

They still both LOOK stupid, but the base idea is... okay...ish.

And before someone takes this as initiative to post a list of Charizard flaws, yes, I know it has a quadruple weakness to stealth rock, I know it is not dragon type, I know it is weak against Brock (if you don't know what you're doing), and I know it stole your lunch money and called you fat.
^ new sig quote

Dr. Javelin said:
^ new sig quote
I came in and saw that, and I was like "Imma gonna sig that", then you sig it. =

But yeah, I also think Charizard gets too much hate. Espicially when the main excuse is that is is too popular/overrated.

the original pokémon games were never that good as nostalgia makes them seem, they were broken, had terrible graphics even considering the system, and were full of glitches

Luxio said:
Crackin355 said:
-I thought X and Y was a boring, slow and an overall disappointment.

-Roller Skates were a horrible addition.

-Mega Evolutions are pretty lame.

-The game boy games are still fun.

-slightly off-topic: Pokemon Origins was also boring.
You're a genwunner I assume?
BTW, why does everyone hate X and Y? Sure, it's not rage-inducingly difficult. If you enjoy screaming in rage, go cry yourself a river.
No, don't assume I'm some jackass who tries to force his shit onto everyone else. I posted my unpopular opinions because that was the point, not to have my opinions lessened by someone else. Fuck your assumptions.

I enjoy all the games beside X/Y. Like I said; boring, slow and an overall disappointment. The additions were either neutral or bad and the region was horrible. The characters were all shit and Lumiose City was horrendous.

Aiko Heiwa said:
the original pokémon games were never that good as nostalgia makes them seem, they were broken, had terrible graphics even considering the system, and were full of glitches
I'm playing through Red at the moment and I still think it's an enjoyable experience. Besides playing Yellow once when I was 3 and having it taken off me by my brother, I have no experience with Pokemon up until SoulSilver; so it's safe to say I don't have any nostalgia goggles on. I'm more compelled to play this game than I am Y version, if that gives you a perspective on how much I really did not enjoy X/Y.

I hate Charizard because mainly nearly everyone (everyone meaning people who don't understand stats and such) thinks it's a good Pokemon and its popularity makes it an overused Pokemon even in competitive environments where it gets destroyed. but I mostly hate it because it's just....loved for such a bland looking Pokemon. Honest opinion here. I mean, turtle cannon Blastoise is awesome. As well as giant Raffeslia Venusaur. But Charizard is just....an orange dragon with a fire tail. Yeah I think it's a bit on the uninspired side. I get why people would like it though, because I originally used Charizard...until I found out how much I liked Blastoise more.

I also don't like its favoritism that Nintendo in general seems to do with it. It gets two Mega Evolutions and it seems to be the only returning Pokemon Trainer Pokemon even though it's arguably the worst of the bunch.

I like Charizard only as a Pokeball Pokemon in Smash Bros. though. How many times it star kos the CPU opponents when they're mega large shouldn't be overlooked.

I like to dislike Charizard. I still can't imagine why Charizard, out of all Pokaymon, got a returning playable appearance, especially over Pokaymon Trainer. Admittedly, Pokaymon Trainer was a really bad character, but he (she?) could've been straightened out instead of being completely ditched. Aside from Pikachu, Pokaymon Trainer is the most representative Pokaymon character, since you're controlling one after all. We have Pikachu and Jigglypuff, which are already two Gen I, but getting yet another Gen I standalone Pokaymon rather than Gen III or Gen V? Charizard feels forced in this game.

Charizard also got two Mega Evolutions, which is just a testament to how bad the original really is. Charizard is an attention whore along with Pikachu among GameFreak AND Pokaymon fans (like, the 6 year olds) when its design is nothing special; it's just nostalgic.

Charizard has flaws, in its generic dragon design, its bad typing, horrible movepool, and a meh playstyle in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. So yeah, its immense popularity despite these flaws, earns my ire.

I don't even know why I need to justify my opinions in an "unpopular opinion" thread, but I'll do it for clarity.

Halayà úbe Praseodymium Mario said:
its design is nothing special; it's just nostalgic.

I legitimately like its simplistic design, and it has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Sometimes less is more.

Back