SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 2

But incorporating 2D animation into live action qualifies as CGI.

After all, CGI is just an abbreviation for computer-generated imagery, and I'm pretty sure 2D animation counts.

I think it's relevant to bring up CGI/live action in general, especially those that have worked, just so people don't dismiss CGI/live action movies.

But 3D CGI/live action, yeah, that usually doesn't turn out well.

Maᴙio said:

After all, CGI is just an abbreviation for computer-generated imagery, and I'm pretty sure 2D animation counts.
Mary Poppins and Roger Rabbit were done by hand. Not sure about Space Jam.

No-Face said:
Maᴙio said:

You still need a computer to incorporate those animations though?

Maᴙio said:
No-Face said:
Maᴙio said:

Highly unlikely in the case of Mary Poppins.

Not sure if I posted this yet, but...

This movie has hope.

It brought back a lot of the old spongebob humor, which means something that was funny without having to be morbid or just cringe-worthy. Spongebob actually is criticizing Patrick's actions again instead of being laughing and oblivious to everything around him and just like laughing all the time. Patrick is still dumb, but at least he's the funny dumb humor rather than the "I'm completely dumb and I just annoy for fun". Squidward doesn't seem as grouchy as he usually is, and is actually helping out with everything, which we haven't seen in awhile.

I mean, there are some really good new spongebob episodes that I think shouldn't be overlooked, but sadly most of the new spongebob is just terrible. However, the new movie at least looks so much better than the new spongebob.

Most of the criticism about this movie is the 2-D to "Modern CGI" transformation and the new character designs outside of the water. At least they still look like them for the most part, and at least it's not all "Modern CGI" for them.

Not BMB said:
Not sure if I posted this yet, but...

This movie has hope.

It brought back a lot of the old spongebob humor, which means something that was funny without having to be morbid or just cringe-worthy. Spongebob actually is criticizing Patrick's actions again instead of being laughing and oblivious to everything around him and just like laughing all the time. Patrick is still dumb, but at least he's the funny dumb humor rather than the "I'm completely dumb and I just annoy for fun". Squidward doesn't seem as grouchy as he usually is, and is actually helping out with everything, which we haven't seen in awhile.

I mean, there are some really good new spongebob episodes that I think shouldn't be overlooked, but sadly most of the new spongebob is just terrible. However, the new movie at least looks so much better than the new spongebob.

Most of the criticism about this movie is the 2-D to "Modern CGI" transformation and the new character designs outside of the water. At least they still look like them for the most part, and at least it's not all "Modern CGI" for them.
You bring up some good points. I am hoping that Spongebob has at least one more moment to shine. This movie may be that moment.

Maᴙio said:
No-Face said:
Maᴙio said:

i'm not a complete expert on film yet, but i'm pretty sure the way they animated it was to draw directly on the film

this was back before people used cgi for everything. they actually had to make real special effects

Not BMB said:

I thought Spongebob was pretty close to his original personality in the trailer too

but then it's just a trailer so it may be the only good parts of the film

also, where's sandy when they get powered up

did she die

did she run off to texas

someone give me answers

No-Face said:

did she die

did she run off to texas

someone give me answers
sandy become missappear

it's the only logical explanation

Иeptune said:
No-Face said:

did she die

did she run off to texas

someone give me answers
sandy become missappear

it's the only logical explanation
If they actually do that, I think my faith in the writers may just be restored after all.

^
>homage to episode
>restoring faith
Nah. Just nah.

No-Face said:

did she die

did she run off to texas

someone give me answers
She became a giant realistic squirrel. Squidward rides her in the trailer.

Lario said:
^
>homage to episode
>restoring faith
Nah. Just nah.
...Good point. Someone smack me in the face before I become too optimistic about this.

I'm sure people would still complain if they became their International Justice League of Super Acquaintances counterparts once more. Plus, Mr. Krabs didn't wear any of the costumes and Plankton did not appear in the episode at all.

Alright, I'm starting to get hope in this movie. Everyone has, for the most part, been de-flanderised.

No-Face said:

did she die

did she run off to texas

someone give me answers
At 1:56 into the trailer you can see Squidward riding a squirrel, so I assume Sandy turned into a real-life squirrel.

No-Face said:
So... um...
Yeah...
So it appears to be like one of those "live action movies based on classic cartoons"-type movies... I would make fun or groan about that, or point out how low modern Spongebob has gotten to the point that I feel like there's no way this movie can redeem all the *bleep* that's come after the first movie, or be nitpicky and point out that the characters are in 3D while in the live action world whereas in the first movie, Spongebob and Patrick were still traditionally animated while in the life action world (and also that Sandy is helping Spongebob and the others getting the "hairy porpoise" back in the water when really she could have just told them it was a human)...

...But I'll be honest, I'm kind of liking the look of this. It feels appropriately funny, and it has a good plot worthy of a movie. I'm actually a bit intrigued... Particularly in that Plankton is frequently seen with them, it makes me wonder if he intends to work together with them or if he has his own evil scheme...

I just want to say, the animation on the 3D character models is amazing! It it literally looks and feels like their 2D counterparts, but in 3D. It's hard to explain, but it just looks really good. There's a part of me that's nagging me about how there should be more of the traditional animation, and also the 2D segments aren't up to snub when compared to the original movie, but I hushed it, because the traditionally animated segments are fine, and the 3D parts looked so good I just didn't care.

I actually looked into this more, and found out that the writers for this movie are Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger, who wrote the Kung Fu Panda movies AND Monsters vs. Aliens! ...They also, apparently, wrote the two live action Alvin and the Chipmunks sequels, but I guess they can't always be golden. But I still count this as a good thing, because they got actual WRITERS to write this movie, and not whatever lazy, talentless hacks they got to put together an average Spongebob episode, which basically amounts to nothing much happening and really weak jokes.

I should also point out that while Paul Tibbitt, the current showrunner of Spongebob Squarepants (who also wrote for the show originally), is directing and also helped come up with the story, the story mostly came from Spongebob's creator, Stephen Hillenburg! And really, the story is not that bad, it feels appropriate for a movie based on Spongebob: an evil pirate plans to destroy Spongebob's world (for whatever reason) and Spongebob and his friends have to stop him... and they eventually become superheroes. It's not THAT much of a far-cry from the original movie, in which Plankton steals King Neptune's crown and Spongebob and Patrick have to work together to get it back, all while being obsessed over becoming "men".

The gags... are funny, at least to me. Even if you don't find them funny, admit it, Spongebob has ALWAYS had this level of humor, even back in the glory days. Hell, I don't think the show's been THIS funny since those days... Not to mention, the characters are all in-character, as opposed to either perversions of their character archetypes or just pieces moving through the plot of a story with no depth to them whatsoever. Like, I'm seriously so relieved to see Patrick acting like the lovable doofus he used to be, rather then the cruel, malicious smartass whose stupidity is mostly a facade because he's such an uncaring, unfeeling douche.

Like, wow, for the first time in what seems like forever, I'm actually excited and happy about something Spongebob-related that's new! Will it save Spongebob? Hell no, at this point it would take a literal miracle (and also firing all the writers currently working on the show) to save Spongebob by this point, but as for this movie? Yeah, color me excited.

Wow. I finally saw the trailer and wow.

I'd say more, but I think the user above said everything I was going to say and then some.

I'm seeing this movie.

Back