Mario Party 1-8 Ranking

3D Player 2004

Your local Luigi, Daisy, Yoshi, and Diddy Kong fan
Banned User
Rank stuff out of 5 stars by: Graphics, Items, Minigames, Luckless, Roster, and Total.
Inclusion of 9, IT, DS, and A are optional.
1: 1/0/1/1/1/4
2: 3/1/2/2/1/9
3: 3/3/3/2/3/14
4: 2/2/3/2/3/12
5: 4/2/5/3/5/19
6: 4/4/4/3/5/20
7: 4/4/5/4/4/21
8: 5/3/3/4/3/18

1st. 7
2nd. 6
3rd. 5
4th. 8
5th. 3
6th. 4
7th. 2
8th. 1

Now that I did this exersize, I more or les got the same results as I previously believed I had thought of this series.
However, there were a few differences from what I has thought prior:
I mixed up 2nd and 3rd.
I mixed up 6th and 7th.
Your turn!

Where's MP:IT and MP9?

They're apparently optional and I'm surprised you didn't bring up DS, and speaking of that, to be honest all of them should be considered optional since they're each a Mario Party game in their own right and perhaps some can't even judge a few games because they don't own them.

7 of these 8 games I ranked, I don't own.
6 of these 8 games I ranked, I've never played.
You can rate games without owning them, just watch Youtube and do research.

3D Player 2004 said:
You can rate games without owning them, just watch Youtube and do research.

You can't judge how games are like when you haven't played them yourself. Period.

Best to worst

1. Mario Party 6
2. Mario Party 5
3. Mario Party 7
4. Mario Party 4
5. Mario Party DS
6. Mario Party 3
7. Mario Party 8

I just don't like the N64 Mario Parties, like, at all, compared to the GCN ones. I think people just give them WAY too much credit.

No I'm not doing that rating thing. Have fun

1. Mario Party 3
2. Mario Party 6
3. Mario Party 7
4. Mario Party DS
5. Mario Party 8
6. Mario Party 5
7. Mario Party 1
8. Mario Party 2
9. Mario Party 9
10. Mario Party 4

Haven't played IT or Advance yet and I haven't played Mario Party 2 in a few years. The others I believe I have played at least once in the last year or so.

That method of rating doesn't seem that effective to begin with, personally.

1. Mario Party 6
2. Mario Party DS
3. Mario Party 7
4. Mario Party 5
5. Mario Party 8
6. Mario Party 4
7. Mario Party Advance

1. Mario Party 9
2. Mario Party
3. Mario Party 3
4. Mario Party 2
5. Mario Party 7
6. Mario Party 8
7. Mario Party 4
8. Mario Party 5

1. MP4
2. MPDS
3. MP1
4. MP3
5. MP2
6. MP5
7. MP7
8. MP6
9. MP8
10. MP9

haven't played advance or island tour

1. Mario Party 2

Good Minigames, Boards, and a Nostalgic Classic.

2. Mario Party 5

Good Minigames, Boards might make it easier to get more then one star in a single turn and the orbs are random, but the gameplay remains the same as previous games on all boards and the game remains exciting. Which is why I consider it the most solid out of the Gamecube Mario Parties.

3. Mario Party 6

Decent Minigames, Boards vary because of different ways to win on each board, the Day and Night system is interesting enough. One thing I don't like however is this is the first game that introduces Bonus stars other then Mini-Game, Happening, and Coins (The latter of which seems to not exist or seems rare). MP6 did this better then future games that had this, but it started a pretty bad trend.

4. Mario Party 3

The boards and the item system was AMAZING... but the Mini-games were really lacking. There were a few gems from this game. But some of them were kind of broken, and in 1 Vs. 3 games there were some that were obvious which team was going to win more then most. Also Game Guy was an annoyance.

5. Mario Party 4

The Mini-games were good but while the boards weren't bad per se. The boards kinda felt... boring? plain? I don't know, it just felt kinda like Mario Party 4 sometimes dragged a bit

6. Mario Party 1

Some of the greatest mini-games from this would come back in MP2 and I think for the exception of the control stick spinning. The first Mario Party had a decent set of Minigames. But the boards while I liked how they were themed on the characters some of the boards were completely different from the get 20 coins to get the Star in some ways. And on at least one or two particular boards you could end up being stuck in an area if you were unlucky enough (Peach's Birthday Cake and Wario's Battle Canyon). It can be forgiven in that it was the first game in the series and they were testing out how they could continue on with the series.

7. Mario Party 8

I used to think this was the worst Mario Party. But not too long ago I played 7 (And I'll get to that) and I don't know. While some of the minigames are ruined by the use of motion controls (Looking at you Flip the Chimp...) much of the Mini-games in retrospect were decent enough and I liked the variety the candies gave. Some of the dumb luck in some of the boards like that Boo Mansion board and all the possible Bonus Stars that can change the entire outcome of the game are unforgivable. But while there are certain other small things that makes Mario Party 8 one of the worst Mario Parties. It is not THE worst in my opinion.

8. Mario Party 7

Ughh... Some of the mini-games were decent. But much of them were pretty meh. And the board gameplay? The special items for the characters were really unbalanced. To the point playing as the Toads, Boo, or Dry Bones are the best choices because of the triple mushrooms or Magic wands they can get. Pagoda Peak is very unforgiving. Neon Heights is one of the most luck-based boards in the entire series. I also didn't like how we found out after a duel was over what the prize is going to be. When the possibilities were 1-2 stars, All or Half the loser's coins, or absolutely nothing. The constant Bowser times happening every 5 turns is a pain. And there's just not alot I see that's a positive of this game besides maybe Graphics.

Part of what made Mario Party 7 stand out to me was how cool the Character Orbs were.
I liked having some element of gameplay attatched to ones character choice and not just some sprite differences.
And I'd say Hudson Soft did a good job balancing them out decently and actually making character pairs matter.

The N64 Mario Parties are overrated.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
The N64 Mario Parties are overrated.

I still have fun with them, though I will say Mario Party 1 is low on good minigames. Mario Party 2 remedies it slightly. I loved Mario Party 3's minigames though, I could play them for hours.

I enjoyed all Mario Parties I've played. I'm just saying that Mario Party 1, 2, and 3 get a bit too much love.

Haven't played many Mario Parties, but from the ones I've played and watched on Youtube:
Mario Party 3
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 7
Mario Party
Mario Party Advance, which isn't only the worst Mario Party I've played, it just sucks as a Mario game in general to me, don't really know why. The others are pretty close but this one almost rivals Paper Mario Sticker Star (not quite, but almost)

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
The others are pretty close but this one almost rivals Paper Mario Sticker Star (not quite, but almost)

Seems to be pretty ridiculously bad then.

I'll rank them in general:

MP1: 7.5/10
MP2: 8.5/10
MP3: 9/10
MP4: 6/10
MP5: 5/10
MP6: 6/10
MP7: 2/10
MP8: 0.5/10
MP9: 1.5/10
MPA: 1/10
MPDS: 7/10
MPIT: 1/10

0.5 implying that it's broken and unplayable. I wouldn't give even Hotel Mario such a low score.

Unless the context intended is different.

I'll break it down:

-Gameplay: far from playable for MY taste. It's slow, it's boring, the turns take forever, and the mini-games are repetitive and boring. Somehow, older Mario Party's minigames weren't that repetitive, and I got really tired (literally) of playing Shake It Up and At the Chomp Wash after the third time. Minigames like Rudder Madness make you wonder what in the world the developers were thinking or on what drug they were high on. Some minigames have awful motion-sensing controls, like Flip The Chimp and Kartastrophe. Oh, let's also mention that it's annoying as f*ck that every single time you make a simple, small move with the Wiimote, your character automatically taunts. How difficult was it to just make 2 the button you need to taunt? 2 is useless in board play. If I had known it was going to be that annoying, I wouldn't have bought the taunt option in the first place. The worst part? There's no turning back after you buy it, because you can't deactivate it. I won't complain about the lack of online mode because I'm no online player myself, so I don't really care, but it does bother me that I know that many people would have enjoyed such feature. Don't even get me started on how luck-based this game is. A Mario Party without luck is nothing, but this game just exaggerated. The game boards aren't fun (well, I did enjoy Koopa's Tycoon Town a little bit) but the others are just meh. Single player is boring and not even worth to beat unless you want the final board to be unlocked (and I can assure you won't even play after) or the hidden characters. Ah, yes, that's another thing. What is UP with the roster? No, let me rephrase that. What is UP with BLOOPER?? :S

-Graphics: they're mediocre to their best, and what the hell is up with not supporting widescreen? For a game released in freaking 2007 that's nothing but a sin. The game didn't flow smoothly sometimes, especially when using the Duelo Candy. It's obvious this game was originally for the Gamecube but they decided to make it for the Wii when it was already in development, but hadn't been announced yet. I won't complain about the models, because they're not bad, but the animations are sure awkward some times.

-Sound: oh God, that music. I mean, it wasn't awful like Mario Party 7's, but it was ridiculously forgettable. However, the strawberry on the top of the cake on how bad the sound department was definitely goes to the voice acting. McBallyhoo's voice made me want to cry. What is up with that "HAAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"?! Seriously. Daisy's voice, like always, was annoying as hell. The rest was just mediocre and forgettable.

-Replay value: after you complete the Story Mode, there's NOTHING you can do except buying completely useless figurines. Seriously, that's all. Oh, wait, you can do the Story Mode AGAIN in order to unlock the character that wasn't picked as your opponent the first time you did it. I almost forgot about that. Yes, because they were lazy enough to not come up with a different method of unlocking characters.

I also fail to see how this game was revolutionary or how it added something new or fresh to the franchise. All in all, I'm not saying that everyone has to think that this game sucks, but I think that after stating some facts (and of course, some opinions too), I defended my stance on how I think this is without a doubt the worst Mario Party game ever. I actually feel I was too benevolent when I gave it 0.5/10, because for ME, it deserves even less. Then again, I can't give it the same score as other awful games who are, incredibly, even worse. I'm glad I don't own it anymore and I could use the 10 dollars I got from GameStop on something better.

@Anser

Mario Party 8 does have several major flaws, which you indeed pointed it out, but I think Mario Party 9 is worse for ditching several characters :)toadette:), and adding in random playable enemies. I don't really play repeats of the minigames three times, so I think it's a bit of an exaggerated claim. Mario Party 8 does have bad/unresponsive motion controls, but it's still functional (if you want the pinnacle of bad motion controls, consult Sonic Free Riders. :/) I also agree that the taunt is highly sensitive, but I tend to spam the taunt anyway, so I guess it tires my arm.

Mario Party 8 is incredibly luck-based compared to Mario Party 2-8. Donkey Kong and Lucky Spaces... those are the bane of my existences. Goomba's Booty Boardwalk and King Boo's Hideout (whatever) also rely on luck. The stars in the boardwalk are essentially free and the game HAD to put a ? Space that punishes you severely near the end of the the board.

Judging Mario Party 8 as a single player game (no replay value! LOL!) is unfair, and Mario Party 8 is supposed to be played multiple times, with friends. But the requirements to unlock both characters are ridiculous. Story Mode, still, is just a side-thing, with Party Mode still being the main focus.

Mario Party 9, on the other hand, detracts even more from the formula. They remove an entire category of minigames and ditched Tag Team Battle. Tag Team Battle is the sole reason my sister and I play Mario Party because... well... it's fun! But no, they had to make winning hugely luck-based, with devastating events happening near the end of the game. Not to mention, the mini-games and battle minigames rewarded winners hardly anything. In the end, it is entirely possible to beat a game in Mario Party 9 blindfolded. You can technically do this via Fortune Spaces (swapping Stars near the end of a game), but the chances of this are barely feasible. Mario Party 9, however, isn't the same.

Saying the roster in Mario Party 8 is bad because of some characters can be okay, but Mario Party 9 and Island Tour had the most barren rosters of a recent Mario Party game; Mario Party 8's roster at least refrained from cutting any character from Mario Party 7. Saying that 9 and Island Tour's rosters are better because some characters AREN'T playable is selfish.

Mario Party 8 is one of the worse Mario Party games, but I still had more fun with it than playing Galaxy 2. </bad tastes>

Back