General Discussion

Good pointing that out. But I'd still make a case for the split because we can't disregard such drastic differences in appearances. Just get the name down, and we'll be good to go.

Thanks for the replies you two.

By the way I'm dumb but what is the policy regarding using official templates in userspace (like say, infoboxes)? Is there any rule against that, because I swear there is.

Baby Luigi said:
By the way I'm dumb but what is the policy regarding using official templates in userspace (like say, infoboxes)? Is there any rule against that, because I swear there is.
MarioWiki:Userspace > What should I avoid? (MarioWiki:Userspace#What_should_I_avoid.3F), 12th bullet, states that one should just copy the template's contents to their userpage instead of transcluding it. I think this is mainly for templates that add categories.

The bullet point mentions infoboxes as well, so all templates are not to be transcluded into userspace, but it's indeed fine to copy the coding.

I run adblock and revs looks fine to me. Are you on mobile?

No, revs actually look fine on mobile. I'm using Chrome 49 on OS X 10.6.8 if that has to do with anything.

I checked by inspecting the page and it seems diff-context isn't inside diff-marker (which seems to be the width the revisions are supposed to be, so I assume it's a container)

No idea how this bug came about if it's just me, then.

Edit: After disabling my adblock (which isn't adblock plus) I figured it is the cause of it.

For what it's worth, these diff-* cells are placed correctly, the marker cells are for the pluses and minuses in front of the context cells, where the differences are shown.

I'm curious as for what adblock you use. Regardless, you can disable it on the Wiki; no ads are shown when logged in.

While I was browsing through Super Mario Galaxy's files to find some things I want to rip, I just realized something....why can't we use file-names of the planets from there as official names for the galaxy articles? I see "MarblePlanet.arc", "LavaMeteoPlanet.arc", "IceMountainPlanet.arc", "FullMoonPlanet.arc", etc. Though it's going to take forever to pin-point what all of them are referring to...

I suggested that way back in 2011-2012 or something and Bop said that it would only happen if the 'names made sense' and 'they existed for all planets'. There's also the (admittedly very stupid) reasoning of 'we're not supposed to know the filenames of things' which prevents this from happening.

From what I can gather, the names make complete sense (all have English filenames, with some of them having Japanese words in English-such as Dorayaki Forest Zone) and they should exist for all planets. After all, every object in the game needs a name right? I don't see why any planet should be an exception, nor should any two planets be twined in one object file. I mean, if the object names are some random garbled gibberish, that would have prevented that from happening, but the filenames are pretty descriptive that are usable, with names like "ChooChooTrainStationPlanet.arc" and "FlexibleSandPlanet.arc"

Your idea is good and I don't know why I haven't acknowledged how good it is. It's probably before I was deep into modding things.

The last reasoning of how we're "not supposed to know" is pretty dumb and not something I'll bother arguing.

Chiaki Nanami said:
I suggested that way back in 2011-2012 or something and Bop said that it would only happen if the 'names made sense' and 'they existed for all planets'. There's also the (admittedly very stupid) reasoning of 'we're not supposed to know the filenames of things' which prevents this from happening.
Let's be frank: that reasoning is beyond ridiculous. Filenames are what they are: file names. It's not actual content, and anyone can see these file names especially if such data is in a disc and programs exist to read ISO data so it's not any different from computer games being read on a disc. Anyhow, I'll be up for your old suggestion. The names make sense, and they'll likely exist for all planets given that developers have to be a bit organized since they're working on a team, but if not, big deal, let's make up our own names.

I've been thinking about this on and off anyway and my reasoning that debunks that filenames are a bad source of naming is the following: an employee at Nintendo, a programmer, named it so that the console knows what data to grab from the game at any given time. Since this comes from an employee at Nintendo, this should in all cases be considered official. Of course, if they already have official names from other sources, we should let those have a precedence over filenames. But I still think we should allow filenames to name subjects in articles.

Chiaki Nanami said:
There's also the (admittedly very stupid) reasoning of 'we're not supposed to know the filenames of things' which prevents this from happening.

no no no, this is fucking stupid. Just use the goddamn filenames.

Chiaki Nanami said:
I've been thinking about this on and off anyway and my reasoning that debunks that filenames are a bad source of naming is the following: an employee at Nintendo, a programmer, named it so that the console knows what data to grab from the game at any given time. Since this comes from an employee at Nintendo, this should in all cases be considered official. Of course, if they already have official names from other sources, we should let those have a precedence over filenames. But I still think we should allow filenames to name subjects in articles.
I'll have to think about how filenames are used though. Again, they're internal names and their main use is for personal reasons, such as other members of the team can immediately know what the file is pertaining to. On a game's release, something can be named and be completely different from that file name. That being said, if there are no other names, then file names are perfectly acceptable for naming entities in our wiki. Just provide a reference for those names just as you would for names found at guides.

Striker Mario said:
Chiaki Nanami said:
I'll have to think about how filenames are used though. Again, they're internal names and their main use is for personal reasons, such as other members of the team can immediately know what the file is pertaining to. On a game's release, something can be named and be completely different from that file name. That being said, if there are no other names, then file names are perfectly acceptable for naming entities in our wiki. Just provide a reference for those names just as you would for names found at guides.
Just have it be <ref>/fullpath (VER VERSION)</ref> or something.

Yeah something like that. But otherwise, we're in the green light. Who's going to start renaming? Or, can anyone provide a resource for the file partition of Super Mario Galaxy 1/2?

Yeah, sure, but that's easy to work around.

I'm pretty sure this is already in our naming policy (MarioWiki:Naming#Acceptable_sources_for_naming):
5. Development name – Any name used during the development of a video game or other Nintendo licensed media source. This type of name usually comes from unused data, developer interviews or development documents.

It's always good to get a second opinion after the fact, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

Back