General Discussion

The sections are more than distinct enough to warrant being separated. The development section relies mostly on the process behind making the game without really covering what didn't make it in, and the unused content section is for everything from one-off ideas to preview builds at expositions to the scraps of code left inside, none of which is particularly relevant to the development section.

I actually feel like "Pre-release and unused content" could work as a sub-section of the "Development" section, seeing as scrapped stuff it is a by-product of a game's development. Hell, I'd say "Staff" could be a sub-section too - anything to cut down the main header clutter.

Well, I'll support anything to organize the development and behind-the-scenes stuff because as of now, I think at least putting development, staff, and pre-release and unused content next to each other would be better than... I don't know, like in WarioWare Inc., Mega Microgame$ where there is critical reception lumped in between development stuff. Or you have Diddy Kong Racing where it's organized from Development, then Sequels, then Gallery, then References to other Games, then References in later games, then it's Pre-release and unused content and Staff. It gave me some problems for creating List of Diddy Kong Racing pre-release and unused content (in terms of navigation at least, but that's likely the weird organization itself) and I was tempted to create context behind the Pro Am 64 stuff, but it's already covered in the Development section of that article.... That weird organizational hierarchy and the context required to understand some of the developmental stuff is what gotten me into suggesting it in the first place. So, the statement that "pre-release content isn't relevant to the development", I disagree.

I'm generally not a fan of trying to nest things, and I don't think there's much of a benefit to nesting them. The headers are going to be there no matter where we put them, so it wouldn't do much to unclutter things. The lackadaisical order is a different issue entirely; we could stand to put the articles in a consistent order before shuffling sections around.

The system we have for Mario Party Advance's quests has a few issues. The way MPA works is that every quest is tied to a location, and each quest can only be initiated by entering said locations. On the wiki, we follow suite by covering the quest in whatever location it's tied to. In some cases, this works out when the quest takes place exclusively in that location, but in several other cases, the quest requires the player to visit other locations and perform actions that are irrelevant to the starting location. Covering the quest in the location also gets unwieldy when locations have multiple quests, such as Mushroom Condo. My instinct is to push for splitting them, in a similar vein to the platformer's missions (like Painting the Planet Yellow for Flipswitch Galaxy), but I'd understand if that was too much. Still, I don't think what we're doing now is acceptable.

Well, if the quests do have their own names (and I believe they do, it's been a while since my sister last played Mario Party Advance on an emulator), then go ahead. For me, though, I always thought character articles were tied to these quests.

Time Turner said:
I'm generally not a fan of trying to nest things, and I don't think there's much of a benefit to nesting them. The headers are going to be there no matter where we put them, so it wouldn't do much to unclutter things. The lackadaisical order is a different issue entirely; we could stand to put the articles in a consistent order before shuffling sections around.
Nesting things will help make header orders consistent: it's easier to remember what's part of what rather than recall the ultimately arbitrary orders of equal-footed sections (as long as the bins make sense, of course). It will also makes using the Tables of Contents easier since then you'd have less main headers to sift through - even things that will remain unsorted will benefit from the lack of clutter resulting from turning some things into sub-sections.

I don't have 3D world so

I've been asked on the NIWA staff chat if it would be possible to reupload http://www.mariowiki.com/File:Cat_Rosalina.png with something that isn't ridiculously tiny.

Re: I don't have 3D world so

Glowsquid said:
I've been asked on the NIWA staff chat if it would be possible to reupload http://www.mariowiki.com/File:Cat_Rosalina.png with something that isn't ridiculously tiny.
I've taken these two shortly after each other so one has and the other hasn't got glitters.
1455295263_WiiU_screenshot_TV_0145D.jpg
1455295361_WiiU_screenshot_TV_0145D.jpg

Chiaki Nanami said:
Time Turner said:
Chiaki Nanami said:
remind me again why all text in images need to be in english
It's an English wiki?
Do you think that the image saying 'COURSE CLEAR!' is as important as it depicting Rosalina in her Cat Suit forme is?
but all of the images are in english?

i assumed you were talking about something else but glowsquid wanted to change the image due to its small size

Non-English text is distracting: people look at the words and go "huh", instead of paying attention to whatever the image was really depicting. However, if if the image is meant to showcase the non-English text itself, or if it's a manga scan or something unreleased in English, then that's no problem, and if it's hard to replace, I'd say people shouldn't worry about it and focus on replacing images that are actually bad. Personally, I've never minded the occasional random non-English screenshot, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people whine and complain about images on occasion, so between that, the aforementioned distracting reason, and consistency with the wiki's language, the path of least resistance is to just aim for English in images.

I wanted to discuss the issue on the wiki, but nobody reply to me on the Warp Zone talk page. It is about the Warp Zone page. I wanted to rewrite it, but I wanted to make sure what the page should mentioned. Should we include secret exits as currently is, or remove them. If we add the secret exits, Those of Super Mario World should be included in the page, not in the trivia section.

So , should we rewrite the page to correctly include secret exits or removing them completely.

Could we created a page for secret exits?

Written currently on the New Super Mario Bros. U section of the Warp Zone Page
-- In New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U there is a similar mechanic but Warp Zones don't appear at all. --

I feel like we should only include actual Warp Zones on that page. So leave SMB, SMBLL, SMB3 (with the {{main}}), SM3DL and SM3DW, and make the SPM references can also be made into a SPM section rather than Trivia. The shows The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! and Captain N: The Game Master can be included too, assuming they actually call the functions "Warp Zones".

Everything else should just be moved into the intro, or a separate section entirely as an overview of Warp-Zone-like features. Warp Cannons should contain all the detailed information about NSMB, NSMBWii and NSMB2, with Warp Zone only mentioning that the feature exists in those games - but for SMB2 and the alternate pathway stuff of SMW and NSMBU, it's probably best to leave whatever content's already on the page intact (just in paragraph form, in the case of SMB2).

Sweet.

You want the alternate media colours from this chart (MarioWiki:Navigation_Templates#Chart) (as well as the "navtemplate media" class for both). For organization, it makes sense to group the OVAs (not "OAV"s) and films together, but I'm not so sure about the TV show divisions. Wouldn't the Club Nintendo and live-action parts of TSMBSS also be "mixed" rather than fully animated? Perhaps a better division would be to divide the television series by genre, and then splitting out the Planet DK/Kool Kartoon kids' animation showcasing shows, random variety things like The Super Mario Challenge and various still-article-less Japanese shows, and plot-based adventure/comedy things (DIC, DKC and Supercade); succinctly naming the groupings might be hard, however. Another possibility might be to group all the DIC productions together as a series within the genre. It might be worth trying to get a better name for the "Guides and how-to books" header too, but overall, I think the book sections make sense.

Wouldn't the Club Nintendo and live-action parts of TSMBSS also be "mixed" rather than fully animated?

I was expecting this comment. My logic is that the LA and animated segments of The Super Show are separate while those two French DK shows have 3D models superposed over a live-action picture. Also I was under the impression the animated segments made up the majority of The Super Show but it's really the opposite...

I still prefer my way of grouping things. I'll just move Super Show to mixed format.

Ok, works for me. Although on a side note, I don't think Club Nintendo needs to be in brackets as part of TSMBSS (same with Nintendo Power Advance) - keep it simple.

Also, it'd be good to mention Prima and Nintendo Player's Guides (obviously not as lists of every guide they made, just links to the publishers to represent the series). The Super Mario History 1985-2010 would probably be worth including too. They could all go in the "Guides and how-to books" section, although I'm still not particularly fond of the header name, especially seeing as it's including other thins as well as both those specifics. Maybe like, "Information Books", or something like that would be an okay umbrella term?

Striker Mario said:
As for other things...
Time Turner said:
Is there anyone good at cropping? I found some unique artwork for Super Mario Kart in a NP issue (http://link here), but I'm bad at messing with images, especially with the JPG's artifacts.
I can kind of do it, although the letter is partially hiding Lakitu, so a crop job might be less than ideal at this point.
Delayed response (I didn't have a pressing need to use GIMP for a while), but I uploaded all the item artworks (Gallery:Super_Mario_Kart#Items). The Lakitu art is already on the wiki, from some other source, as File:LakituSMK.png. I didn't clean up pre-existing jpg artifacts besides the white backgrounds, but saved them as pngs so at least more didn't happen.

Side note: Why does everybody keep saying "artworks"? Is that a European/Canadian thing? I thought the plural of "artwork" was "artwork"...?

I usually say "artwork", but my sleepy brain thought "I'll use an 's' to indicate there were multiple images uploaded" - looking back at the post now, it looks weird, lol. I usually change it when I see "artworks" on gallery headers and whatnot too (including last night, actually); most simply say "artwork".

I read in a couple places that "artworks" is for artwork by multiple people while "artwork" is by one person, like "fishes" vs. "fish" depending on how many species you're talking about, but idk, that still seems... fishy. Other people say it's a mass noun and works in singular or plural, like "moose". Odds are, both are acceptable, depending on who you talk to at least, but I think "artwork" is more widespread; haven't found any evidence that it's an American vs. Other thing, so could just have to do with individual education. Unfortunately I'm at work right now, otherwise I'd check through my paper dictionaries and see what they say, since now I'm curious...

Back