General Discussion

Striker Mario said:
Or, can anyone provide a resource for the file partition of Super Mario Galaxy 1/2?

I haven't found any (the most I found was .ast music documentation), meaning that I may have to do this myself. The "ObjectData" folder lists 1,844 entries btw, but most of them are stuff like "Arrow.arc" and "FishA.arc" with the planets being thrown in there as well. I have to use some Super Mario Galaxy editor or whatever to look into the .arc files.

Sigh.

Baby Luigi said:
While I was browsing through Super Mario Galaxy's files to find some things I want to rip, I just realized something....why can't we use file-names of the planets from there as official names for the galaxy articles? I see "MarblePlanet.arc", "LavaMeteoPlanet.arc", "IceMountainPlanet.arc", "FullMoonPlanet.arc", etc. Though it's going to take forever to pin-point what all of them are referring to...
Now that's just fantastic, in the dozen games I have looked into, most files are named something along the line of "Enemy 002" and stuff. This is perfect, if you need help getting those names, I will gladly, but slowly help.

Speaking of.. Is there a policy page of when is it appropriate to split or merge, like in case of named planets, would the planets be split from the galaxies?

That would not be beneficial to the quality of the articles. Any level of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 is comprised of planetoids. It makes no sense to write about them in separate articles. Let them remain on the articles, just change the headers and source the game files as appropriate.

Figured that way, but I wanted a policy page just to check how everything fits together.

Related: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=76115 is a great resource for hacking SMG2, probably will work with SMG too.

EDIT: Yaaay it worked. It's really easy though. Baby Luigi can take care of this if she wants. To set it up you need to extract the StageData and the ObjectData folders, then use Whitehole to open the whole thing, and manually switch over the galaxies and planets. For instance, here is what I found for Clockwork Ruins Galaxy. The first column is the current name, the second column is the name of the "zone" (the subfolder name in the StageData folder), the third column is the name of object archive file (the file name in the ObjectData folder)
  • Current Name -----> Zone Name -----> Object Name
  • -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Starting Planet -----> "GiantRotationPlanetZone" -----> "GiantRotationPlanet.arc"
  • Pushing Wall Planet -----> "PusherWallPlanetZone" ----->"PusherWallPlanet.arc"
  • Millstone Planet -----> "RollingDrumPlanetZone" ----->"RollingDrumPlanet.arc"
  • Ledge Hammer Planet -----> "RotateHummerPlanetZone" -----> the closest is "HugeHammerPlanet.arc"...not sure

As you can see, sometimes the names are identical. However, other times, I can't even find a similar name. The StageData name is easier to nail down, though as you saw, sometimes it is humorously misspelled. I couldn't find a way to open the ObjectData files alone though. I think the ripper should try to extract both names until it is decided.

Chiaki Nanami said:
That would not be beneficial to the quality of the articles. Any level of Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 is comprised of planetoids. It makes no sense to write about them in separate articles. Let them remain on the articles, just change the headers and source the game files as appropriate.
I agree. Splitting them would not do a service for our readers because of so little of what they are outside of the Galaxy and the levels where Mario must walk over these. The description of the planetoid reflects the nature of Super Mario Galaxy, that you travel on these until going on to the next one, and sometimes, you'll have to visit these planetoids multiple times. It's better that we provide one or two paragraphs of description in the main Galaxy article while we just have less description in the level articles while having images for some refresher.

Shaggy said:
Figured that way, but I wanted a policy page just to check how everything fits together.

Related: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=76115 is a great resource for hacking SMG2, probably will work with SMG too.
Well, the hacking scene of Super Mario Galaxy is relatively inactive, so that's an FYI.

Lakituthequick said:
I believe ARC files can be opened with BrawlBox reading this (unless SMG uses some different form of it).

I don't have a copy of SMG though, so I can't confirm.

Neither SZS modifier, SZS explorer, nor Brawlbox can read it, already tried that (my BrawlBox can open New Super Mario Bros. Wii arc files, so I'm sure it's compressed in a way that can't be read with those). Hell, I even performed rarcdump.exe and yaz0decompress.exe on them and I got .bdl files and stuff I can't open from them.

Shaggy said:

Was going to download WhiteHole to take a look at it. Pretty sure Galaxy 1 work like the same way as this.

But anyway, thanks a lot for the help! I have everything extracted from Galaxy 1 already so I guess I'm good to go.

So I changed it to their file names in this article (Sea Slide Galaxy), also adding a reference to their file-directory and stuff. Let me know what else can be added.

Seems fine to me, even if using file partitions as a reference is indeed unconventional. As for "Van-Van Vanish Lv2 Zone" you used, you should also add the relationship it has to the Japanese name for Hurry-Scurry Galaxy, seeing that the name might seem a tad wonky at first.

It's probably the original Wii version (nonselect version) with the US region, but I'm not sure if that matters too much.

Baby Luigi said:
So I changed it to their file names in this article (Sea Slide Galaxy), also adding a reference to their file-directory and stuff. Let me know what else can be added.
Nice work, I also would like to add that in Whitehole 1.2 installation folder, there is a objectdb.xml file, it contains the name of the object file, along with a nifty description. Like for example, the previously mentioned "HugeHammerPlanet.arc" file is actually the secret star planet in Clockwork Ruins Galaxy like what I thought, which is a better name than "RotateHummerPlanetZone"... I think.

For instance in the Sea Slide Galaxy, "OceanRingPlanet.arc" is the main planet. I couldn't find a better name for "Van-Van Vanish Lv2 Zone" though, nor did I find a name for the Hurry-Scurry Planet. We might have to use the zone names for these stuff.

On a side note: Do we have any conjectural named enemies/objects in either of the games, now would be a pretty good time to hunt those

Shaggy said:
On a side note: Do we have any conjectural named enemies/objects in either of the games, now would be a pretty good time to hunt those
Near complete list here (User:Time_Turner/unfinished#SMG). I have access to guides for both SMG and SMG2, and the articles there are the ones that I couldn't find in the guides or the ones that refused to be named (Starbag, for example, is called a variety of generic terms, none of which are consistent and all of which I list on the talk page). A lot of them are probably named somewhere in there, but with hundreds of pages to go through, going through the code is probably simpler.

(I swear I found Electricity Shooter, now Electric Pressure, in the guide, but I never wrote down the page...)

Shaggy said:
Nice work, I also would like to add that in Whitehole 1.2 installation folder, there is a objectdb.xml file, it contains the name of the object file, along with a nifty description. Like for example, the previously mentioned "HugeHammerPlanet.arc" file is actually the secret star planet in Clockwork Ruins Galaxy like what I thought, which is a better name than "RotateHummerPlanetZone"... I think.

For instance in the Sea Slide Galaxy, "OceanRingPlanet.arc" is the main planet. I couldn't find a better name for "Van-Van Vanish Lv2 Zone" though, nor did I find a name for the Hurry-Scurry Planet. We might have to use the zone names for these stuff.

I just open the galaxy in the Whitehole editor and just click on the planets, look on the lower left hand place where the names are displayed. As for Van-Van Vanish Lv2 Zone, the whole thing is composed of individual parts, so I thought it would be better to use the zone name for that planet rather than "Vanishing Floor Parts" or whatever they're called. I didn't even find "Van-Van Vanish" level (Hurry-Scurry Galaxy) in the list of galaxies to look at all, I need to dig deeper I guess.

Yes we did. I renamed "Water Shooter" to "Water Pressure" and "Electricity Shooter" to "Electric Pressure". Don't confuse that with what the creators of the level editor called the objects, I'm pret-ty sure they used MarioWiki and its conjectural names as a source, considering they called "Fire Canon" also "Fire Shooter" before we moved that article (maybe).

Time Turner said:
(I swear I found Electricity Shooter, now Electric Pressure, in the guide, but I never wrote down the page...)

Well the conjectural template is still up there so I assumed it was still a fan-made name

Maybe not that exact name, but I remember seeing the object get named somewhere in the guide. Also, the Water Shooter name's official: someone on the talk page mentions a Gearmo who tells the player to "turn of those Water Shooters." The full line may be necessary to cite it, but considering the user directly points out the Gearmo who names them, it seems trustworthy.

Dunno, there was a "citationeeded" tag directly next to the name so eh

Time Turner said:
Maybe not that exact name, but I remember seeing the object get named somewhere in the guide. Also, the Water Shooter name's official: someone on the talk page mentions a Gearmo who tells the player to "turn of those Water Shooters." The full line may be necessary to cite it, but considering the user directly points out the Gearmo who names them, it seems trustworthy.
"Who left those Water Shooters on?! Hey, would you give that valve over there a twist and turn them off?"

Probably should get a screenshot for a citation

Well it's true I just checked in the game, and article citations are always just text. If you really want a picture reference, I will get that when I have time to play it again.

We do have articles on other "baby" species (such as Baby Cheep), but the main point should revolve around the differences between the young and old species. Considering that the show never demonstrates any significant details to distinguish one from the other, I'd say that the page could be merged/deleted.

There's nothing significant about Baby Birdos compared to their adult variety. We don't have articles on general Toad kids like Pine T. Jr., do we?

I do not know if someone will take care of that , if no I can take care of this. You know Walkazo's proposal about the creation of Paper characters article. Do someone take this in charge? If not, I can work on it. The only thing I know, it will take a long time for me to finish it , because I have very little free time currently.

Pages missing:
- Paper Toads (Should the name be Paper Toad (species), Paper Toads or Paper Toad?)
- Paper Peach or Paper Princess Peach
- Paper Kamek
- Paper Bowser Junior

Should we make a separate page for Paper enemies?

-Paper Toad (species)
-Paper Princess Peach

According to the proposal, we'll have to make separate pages for the paper enemies, but the scope must be limited to Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.

Striker Mario said:
-Paper Toad (species)
-Paper Princess Peach

According to the proposal, we'll have to make separate pages for the paper enemies, but the scope must be limited to Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.

Yes, I knew it must be limited to Mario & Luigi : Paper Jam. I'll try to find time to work on it this week. Thanks for your help. :)

Back