General Discussion

The fact that the gifs are so unlike all the rest of the images also lends to their distracting factor. At least with sprites, there's usually a few of them moving in any given gallery, and then of course most subject galleries will have them, so there's some uniformity there, but one isolated character having a handful of moving screenshots is attention-grabbing in a bad way. Even that one animated rapping Mario gif on his gallery is distracting, and makes me wanna move it onto the article itself to make people go "lolwat" instead of "c-c-c-combo breaker" on the gallery page). But the problem with Rosalina's page is worse than rappin' Mario, because...

Dr. Mario said:
Walkazo said:
I agree with removing the gifs from Rosalina's gallery: they're unnecessary, distracting and inconsistent. A lot of screenshots could be removed too, I think (due to redundancy, low quality, etc.):
Just one more comment, I think those .gifs border on creepy and fan-servicey since it's usually the women characters that get them, just as how we're not supposed to go excessive on character description, and the female characters get this too.
Lol, I thought about saying that in my original post, because it's so damn true. (Tho we did have that one amazing gif of crotch-chopping Waluigi for a while. Sadly, it was deleted a few years ago iirc, and thus, Waluigi's valiant effort for gender equality fell by the wayside.)

Walkazo said:
The fact that the gifs are so unlike all the rest of the images also lends to their distracting factor. At least with sprites, there's usually a few of them moving in any given gallery, and then of course most subject galleries will have them, so there's some uniformity there, but one isolated character having a handful of moving screenshots is attention-grabbing in a bad way. Even that one animated rapping Mario gif on his gallery is distracting, and makes me wanna move it onto the article itself to make people go "lolwat" instead of "c-c-c-combo breaker" on the gallery page). But the problem with Rosalina's page is worse than rappin' Mario, because...

Dr. Mario said:
Walkazo said:
I agree with removing the gifs from Rosalina's gallery: they're unnecessary, distracting and inconsistent. A lot of screenshots could be removed too, I think (due to redundancy, low quality, etc.):
Just one more comment, I think those .gifs border on creepy and fan-servicey since it's usually the women characters that get them, just as how we're not supposed to go excessive on character description, and the female characters get this too.
Lol, I thought about saying that in my original post, because it's so dang true. (Tho we did have that one amazing gif of crotch-chopping Waluigi for a while. Sadly, it was deleted a few years ago iirc, and thus, Waluigi's valiant effort for gender equality fell by the wayside.)

I freaking love rappin' Mario though, and I couldn't find a spot anywhere else (where can you fit it in the main article for teh shock value? (I know, in our now-nonexistent alternate costumes). And really? Eech. I loved that .gif too and it does make it at least even.

sis, if we had the time, we could recapture that screenshot and make an animated gif via fraps

It exists elsewhere in the Internet - knowyourmeme.com's the exact same version as the one the wiki had, iirc:

b27.gif

And yeah, I like rappin' Mario too. It could go in occupations to illustrate one of his many one-time gigs, lol. Or maybe quotes, assuming we quoted whatever his French rap was: that'd certainly be a creative way to avoid the empty section policy. It could legitimately go in List of Mario advertisements, too.

Walkazo said:
It exists elsewhere in the Internet - knowyourmeme.com's the exact same version as the one the wiki had, iirc:

b27.gif

And yeah, I like rappin' Mario too. It could go in occupations to illustrate one of his many one-time gigs, lol. Or maybe quotes, assuming we quoted whatever his French rap was: that'd certainly be a creative way to avoid the empty section policy. It could legitimately go in List of Mario advertisements, too.
God I love Strikers.

The problem is, I don't even know what Mario's saying, if he's even talking. It's hard for me to transcribe in English already, heaven forbid I do it in a foreign language. I'm not sure where it would fit in advertisements...

Speaking of coherent words, what does Luigi say at 3:34 in this video? He sounds like "I'm-a surprised I say".

Or maybe "I'm-a surprised I did"?

Time Turner said:
Guess his career was in beatboxing rather than rapping. Hard to say if the Japanese voiceover is supposed to be him, but if it is, it sounds like he's saying "Mario Bōru de... bōken! Bōru de bōken, bōru de bōken, Mario Bōru de bōken, Mario Boru de bōken" which is "Adventure in/with Mario [Pin]ball" (over and over).

Walkazo said:
Or maybe "I'm-a surprised I did"?
It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense though given his negative reaction, but he does sound like he says, "I'm-a surprised"; the last two syllables, I can't make out.

I guess that makes sense. Mah-jong is all about mindgames.

New question: would it be a good idea to split badge, clothing, and others I missed. by game? We keep the badge article, leaving in the history section, but should we split off the lists by game?

Dr. Mario said:
New question: would it be a good idea to split badge, clothing, and others I missed. by game? We keep the badge article, leaving in the history section, but should we split off the lists by game?
It'd be consistent with what SMRPG does with their weapons, armor, accessories, etc., so I don't see the harm.

Do we have a page for Invisible Blocks? As in, Blocks that only show up when Mario hits them. We have a page for every other variant, so it seems a bit odd to skip out on that one.

Time Turner said:
Dr. Mario said:
It'd be consistent with what SMRPG does with their weapons, armor, accessories, etc., so I don't see the harm.
Yeah, the only ones that might not be worth splitting are the BIS and DT badges, since those are pretty small charts. The history section can also stay put, including the SPM blurb, but I also feel like the HP Plus and Power Plus items should get their own pages as well, rather than just being redirects back to the Badge article.

But for PM, TTYD, SS abd PiT, separate pages definitely makes sense. Then List of badge names in other languages can also be split up, with the respective game-specific list pages getting the corresponding game-specifc names lists (to put as a third section, after the "List of badges" and "List of unused badges" sections). The BIS names could then just be put into the Badge page (unless we decide to split BIS too, at any rate).

Time Turner said:
Do we have a page for Invisible Blocks? As in, Blocks that only show up when Mario hits them. We have a page for every other variant, so it seems a bit odd to skip out on that one.
Not yet. Is Invisible Block an official name? It also could be a case like bubbled enemies (Talk:Bubble), where the initial state (bubbled vs. invisible) hasn't been considered enough reason to split out what are otherwise just the regular blocks/enemies (once popped, the enemies behave the same; one struck, the blocks behave the same), so there's not much that can really be said about them. But as seen in the bubble discussion, opinions go both ways, so it could be the same here.

"Invisible Block" should definitely get a redirect at least, but I'm not sure if we could really make much of a page for it: "Invisible Blocks are invisible blocks. Invisible Blocks are [[? Block]]s that are invisible and intangible until they are struck from below, at which point they become regular [[Block (empty)|used, empty blocks]]. Like regular ? Blocks, they can have coins or items inside. They appear in SMB, SMB3 and all subsequent Super Mario platformers and RPGs (and maybe other subseries too, idk), alongside regular ? Blocks. For more information, see [[? Block]]."

I don't think it should get its own page. Why can't we just note it as an occasional property of these blocks?

is water pear a thing in europe

i ask because the melon in Melon Folley was changed to a pear in european versions

the french name is also "poire d'eau" or water pear

i'm just trying to figure out if there's a reason for changing the sprite

And just because the French says, "poire d'eau" may not literally mean water pear, or we'd be calling potatoes "earth apples".

I know, it's a literal translation and it's based on a French name for watermelons, melon d'eau. Still, why a pear? Not that the melon was imperative to the minigame, but it's such a minor detail to change that it had to have been done for a notable reason, right?

Maybe it's because the melon sprite sucks and/or they worried that players would be confused by being told to grab the "melon" last and think it means watermelon instead of the green grenade-looking thing, whereas a pear would be easily identified by name and appearance.

Back