General Discussion

god what are these sentences

i wish i could help but honestly i'm not confident enough in my Japanese to translate them properly

i'm surprised mariofact hasn't picked up on them yet

The user who added these has been warned for (among the other things) the horrible quality of his translations, but anyone versed in Japanese is strongly encouraged to revise this set of page.

2257 said:
EDIT: ugh, after finding blorp i discovered that some of the transcriptions on the wiki arent even right
If the translator can't get the big things right, what makes you think he can't get the little things right either?

Anyway, thanks for all of that! Much appreciated! I didn't know we're going to get help so quickly. :mario:

http://www.mariowiki.com/index.php?title=Obake_Yashiki_wa_Nazo_Darake!&curid=142228&diff=1907775&oldid=1821920

hey its probably my fault for not phrasing it clearly enough to begin with, but its

"rather than me playing with you, the boos will play with you"

not

"rather than the boos playing with me, the boos will play with you"

i dont want to just put it back to something else unclear, so i thought i should ask if anyone else knows how to phrase it clearly and succinctly

I'd rephrase the entire thing to something like "I won't play with you, the Boos will." But that's my own thing, and I don't know if it's going out of the integrity of the translation.

"The Boos will kindly play with you plenty in my stead!" (also taking into account the tepperi (plenty) and kureru (the Boos are doing him a favour)) - afaik, anyway: at work without my dictionaries or a computer that can load Japanese text atm...

And yeah:
Glowsquid said:
I love you.
Seconded. It would've taken me quite a while to check all those myself (curse my tiny vocabulary!).

2257 said:
after doing this with access to the actual cards i noticed that the kansai dialect is all coming from roy. kind of weird that out of seven siblings, one of them speaks in a completely different accent. maybe this is why they stopped being bowsers kids

also i dont really understand the romanisation rules on the wiki but im also not convinced these even really need to be romanised. someone who wants to know how to romanise はしったら is probably not going to be checking http://www.mariowiki.com/T%C4%81-kun_ni_Ki_o_Tsukero for the answer

whoever named these levels sure did like the word kakenukeru. three different levels involve kakenuketeru from somewhere
Maybe he's adopted Nintendo loooves wedging Kansai-ben everywhere, plus more obscure dialogues too. It's become the bane of my existence.

It's nice for users who might wanna know what the stuff sounds like (for fun) despite being unable to read kana and kanji - extra info never hurt anyone.

Walkazo said:
Glowsquid said:
I love you.
Seconded.

wow, such popularity. im scare

do you think that googlegrenade guy is going to blow up now? from what i can tell he seems to be a bit of a self-absorbed lunatic

also i have trouble with the kansai dialect too. i'm still wondering what the hell "n chara ka" is (i assume it's a kansai thing since roy said it)

Dr. Mario said:
Anyway, thanks for all of that! Much appreciated! I didn't know we're going to get help so quickly. :mario:

Well, considering that only "if u sad, no one'll help u", you were probably not sad enough and thus help came swiftly.

2257 said:
do you think that googlegrenade guy is going to blow up now? from what i can tell he seems to be a bit of a self-absorbed lunatic

also i have trouble with the kansai dialect too. i'm still wondering what the hell "n chara ka" is (i assume it's a kansai thing since roy said it)
Then we'll just block him. Again.

Pretty sure the extra "n" is being added to "nai" to make it sound casual (or something like that - can't quite remember that lesson from two years ago, just a song I wrote about going to the library which ended in "doushite ikitakunain desu ka?"), and "chara" could be a conjugation of "chau", the Kansai-ben version of "chigau".

pft what

all that means is that the quote should be changed, not the translation.

oh wait oh

i just misread the font

it does say chau

KgSbhyI.jpg

but really, it looks like a ra, doesn't it?

Yeah, he's an idiot; I reverted it back, but fixed the katakana part.

2257 said:
oh wait oh

i just misread the font

it does say chau

KgSbhyI.jpg

but really, it looks like a ra, doesn't it?
The only thing worse than hiragana stylized to look similar to other hiragana are kanji too small to read.

But I'm very glad to hear that the "-ra" doesn't exist: I feel less incompetent now at remembering conjugations and sleuthing out dialect slang. His "Uu~n" opener makes more sense than "rara~n" too.

Dr. Alphys said:
"if u sad, no one'll help u"
even though it would've been unprofessional, i'd laugh if that was his block description

I'm so glad we've all worked together to fix Gatorade's edits in a timely manner.

Dr. Alphys said:
Dr. Mario said:

Well, considering that only "if u sad, no one'll help u", you were probably not sad enough and thus help came swiftly.
Oh it's a hard job to look for somethin' across the ropes. Once you've hesitated, then a big burn!

This one is still my favorite.
Guys, ur today's target is "Da Mario". Welcome with bibbangs.

It's my fault for not noticing and intervening sooner, before a two-year backlog of questionable content built up for me to have to wade through... It's good practice for my Japanese, at least, and much easier than translating entire kanji-laden passages from scratch. If only I could do it at work, when I have the most gnomework time - curses on my ancient work computer that can't load kana and kanji.

if its impossible for you to just install japanese fonts on it, you could try using something like this

2257 said:
I've looked through Gatorade's translations too, but I can't make a good judgement of their quality (which I guess is the reason we should really get rid of them in the first place if readers like me can't even tell if Gatorade's stuff is good or not anymore after his spectacular series of botch-ups). Anything we can do to help, or is it a job feasible only by more seasoned Japanese learners?

Best to just leave the fixing of the Japanese translations to users who can confidently say whether or not any given translation is passable, otherwise every page is just gonna end up needing to be checked twice, and your time and energy is much better spent elsewhere. Simply removing the current translations wouldn't be overly helpful because they can often be used to get on the right track for finding the correct thing to say, just with less spin or with a few select words getting swapped, or whatever (and they are correct sometimes). That's the same problem with Tailikku, another wannabe translator who's not always reliable, and so, needs to have all his edits checked too (although on a whole, Goolgenerade's are worse).

2257 said:
if its impossible for you to just install japanese fonts on it, you could try using something like this
Nifty site, although I still prefer having my dictionaries and the ability to write characters and freely google stuff without worrying about visiting a bad site and killing the work computer. It doesn't matter anymore either way, tho, since my hours just got chopped in half by returning coworkers taking their shifts back, so I won't have nearly as much time to edit when I'm at the store anyway.

So I'm trying to upload an image but there's no tag that fits the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. Should there be a new one created or could I use the {{cc-by-nc-sa-3.0}} template instead?

Back