General Discussion

And now we don't and I never heard of it until its deletion.

It shall be missed.

Paper Mario sprite assembly in MarioWiki is an annoying issue. Take Luigi for instance. He looks really off-model.

20151113044045%21LuigiPM2.PNG

I promptly made a reupload, but I had to eyeball it for proper placement so it's not perfect within one pixel.

20151113051638%21LuigiPM2.PNG

And then there's a reupload that's taken from a screenshot, but, unfortunately, the game has manipulated the sprite, so it's not actually the sprite in its raw form.

LuigiPM2.PNG

At this point, I'm not sure which sprite is the superior one and should be used, but I'll go with either of the two.

We have a lot of other poorly assembled Paper Mario sprites, and they're done usually by one user: YoshiGo99. No offense to him, by the way, I'm just really concerned about the assembly of the sprites. The following sprites are considered poorly assembled at the time of this post, but there may be more; an experienced Paper Mario player may find more. Most of the assembled sprites originate from the sprite rips of Spriters' Resource, by the way, and it seems that taking those sample assembled sprites directly from those sheets wasn't a good idea.

Purple_Koopa_troopa.png
Buzzy_Beetle2.PNG
Paperparatroopa.png
Parabuzzy.png

I'm also poised to remove these frivolous .gifs from Rosalina's gallery. And her gallery needs some screenshots pruned too. That's not to say Rosalina is the only problem, though, as Mario, for instance, does have several excessive screenshots too. It's usually Mario Kart 8 screenshots that goes into excessive, like MarioWiki is a backlog for screenshots from the replay system.

The Mario gallery has a ton of Donkey Kong versions in it, but I feel those are more appropriate in the Donkey Kong (game) gallery rather than Mario's gallery since they do a better job at illustrating the game rather than the character. I'm not 100% sure how to deal with those since I don't think removing images on the different versions of Mario is Missing or the remakes and stuff is a good idea either.

Pi said:
So I'm trying to upload an image but there's no tag that fits the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. Should there be a new one created or could I use the {{cc-by-nc-sa-3.0}} template instead?
when will I get a reply on this

Dr. Mario said:
Paper Mario sprite assembly in MarioWiki is an annoying issue. Take Luigi for instance. He looks really off-model.

I promptly made a reupload, but I had to eyeball it for proper placement so it's not perfect within one pixel.

And then there's a reupload that's taken from a screenshot, but, unfortunately, the game has manipulated the sprite, so it's not actually the sprite in its raw form.
At this point, I'm not sure which sprite is the superior one and should be used, but I'll go with either of the two.
Wow, your take on that sprite looks almost accurate. I would pick this, except for the fact that it's not 100% accurate; I think his left shoe should have a one pixel gap and his mustache is one or two off to the left. It's very minor, but I don't actually know.

I think in this case, a screenshot should replace said sprites. But I'm not too keen on that move.

No, screenshots should not replace sprites, since it's not in their raw format. Rather, take the screenshots first, adjust the size if necessary, and piece parts together depending on the pose of the screenshot.

It's because there are no sufficient available sprites. It's like having a model that was poorly cropped of a screenshot, having the screenshot is better. Soon I will get high resolution screenshots that I will use. In the meantime, I might just try to do it from a lower resolution screenshot.

If there are no sufficient available sprites, Dolphin can rip them with their texture dump feature. If that doesn't work, cropping is your last resort.

Megadardery said:
Dr. Mario said:

Wow, your take on that sprite looks almost accurate. I would pick this, except for the fact that it's not 100% accurate; I think his left shoe should have a one pixel gap and his mustache is one or two off to the left. It's very minor, but I don't actually know.

I think in this case, a screenshot should replace said sprites. But I'm not too keen on that move.
I based it off this screenshot

800px-PMTTYD_Marioshouse_inside.png

The basic structure is there, but his left arm and right foot gave me the most trouble. I used the catch card image next after my attempts at finding a good screenshot failed. I used MS Paint to assemble it, which explains the lack of the transparency and a lot of eyeballing thanks to no layers. I don't have access to the layers and stuff at the moment (my sister hogs the computer).

LuigiCard.png

20151113051638%21LuigiPM2.PNG
LuigiPM2.PNG

I think the ear might be nudged to the right too. The biggest problem with sprite assembly from a still image, however, is if Luigi from that still image is in a neutral pose rather than in the middle of a bunch of keyframed animations. I think there is a gap between Luigi's body and his shoe because he bobs up and down and tilts his head, body and arms while he's talking, and he appears to be talking here.

Baby Luigi said:
If there are no sufficient available sprites, Dolphin can rip them with their texture dump feature. If that doesn't work, cropping is your last resort.
Dolphin rips the sprites layer by layer and unfortunately, it's not possible to make it rip "Luigi" as a whole. It's a case of Poorly cropped Sprite vs. Original Screenshot.

This is irritating me more than it should. Your image looks so good, but my inner self refuses to count it as 'perfect'.

I am well aware of that. That's why I said, you take a screen shot, adjust its size, then slap the different sprite layers on top of it. It's the method I used to recreate this Koopa

Red_Trooper_PMTTYD.png

The trophy description for the Lakitu in SSB4 (Lakitu#Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS_.2F_Wii_U) says that the Lakitu that appears as an Assist Trophy is also the same Lakitu that appears as a playable character in Mario Kart 7. Not only does that acknowledge that there's an individual Lakitu, but that this individual has already made multiple appearances. Are we going to take this into account, or this not enough to substantiate anything?

Edit: On a side note, the talk page for "Lakitu (character)" (Talk:Lakitu_(character)) is a mess, since it seems to comprise three different talk pages, and there are two proposals that both propose to delete the article even though they're both talking about different articles. Is there any neat way to take care of this?

I don't really think so. Remember when manuals talk about enemies as if they were their own individual character? I think it applies to the trophy here, and it applies to other enemies like Koopas that state similar things. Besides, the descriptions and bios for the Lakitu character stated that he got tired of officiating races and entered one himself, without even regarding once that there's a second Lakitu that's still doing exactly that. I think the thing is is that it's too vague to draw any sort of meaningful conclusions unless it's confirmed that the second Lakitu hosting races is indeed a second Lakitu.

A user has informed me regarding the credits of Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Kerri Kane has been wrongfully credited of Rosalina's voice yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO6tN-Sijfs&feature=youtu.be&t=1m57s

We don't have any official confirmation, except that the user said that Rosalina is definitely voiced by Laura Faye Smith again in this game, so is it fine if we could email Kerri Kane again regarding this?

EDIT: I saw a gameplay video of Rosalina in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, the voice actress for Rosalina is most definitely Laura Faye Smith, it's recycled from Mario Kart 8

We can handle it the same as last time, no worries.

It seems that we overlooked my previous question on gallery maintenance, so I'd like to bring it up again.
I'm also poised to remove these frivolous .gifs from Rosalina's gallery. And her gallery needs some screenshots pruned too. That's not to say Rosalina is the only problem, though, as Mario, for instance, does have several excessive screenshots too. It's usually Mario Kart 8 screenshots that goes into excessive, like MarioWiki is a backlog for screenshots from the replay system.

The Mario gallery has a ton of Donkey Kong versions in it, but I feel those are more appropriate in the Donkey Kong (game) gallery rather than Mario's gallery since they do a better job at illustrating the game rather than the character. I'm not 100% sure how to deal with those since I don't think removing images on the different versions of Mario is Missing or the remakes and stuff is a good idea either.

Time Turner said:
The trophy description for the Lakitu in SSB4 (Lakitu#Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS_.2F_Wii_U) says that the Lakitu that appears as an Assist Trophy is also the same Lakitu that appears as a playable character in Mario Kart 7. Not only does that acknowledge that there's an individual Lakitu, but that this individual has already made multiple appearances. Are we going to take this into account, or this not enough to substantiate anything?

Edit: On a side note, the talk page for "Lakitu (character)" (Talk:Lakitu_(character)) is a mess, since it seems to comprise three different talk pages, and there are two proposals that both propose to delete the article even though they're both talking about different articles. Is there any neat way to take care of this?

As what Baby Luigi said, I think the evidence so far is pretty iffy so I think recreating that kind of article on shaky evidence is not something I'm open to doing.

The talk page was a result of an unfortunate rename to Lakitu (character) (which I still disagree with this rename, and the messy-looking talk page only convinces me further that it should be renamed). I suggest renaming the Mario Party Advance character to Lakitu (Mario Party Advance) and Lakitu (character) be a redirect. The talk page for the Mario Party Advance character contains only the last proposal in the current talk page while the redirect will contain the Lakitu that's assumed to be the character from Mario Kart 7.

I'm not sure if this will really violate policy or not, but I'm only suggesting this for the sake of organization of our talk page archives.

Yeah, no need to bother Kerri about this one: the way the article's covering it currently is fine.

I agree with removing the gifs from Rosalina's gallery: they're unnecessary, distracting and inconsistent. A lot of screenshots could be removed too, I think (due to redundancy, low quality, etc.):

what I'd do said:
<gallery>
Princessrosettamag.jpg|''[[Super Mario Galaxy]]''
Rozeta.PNG|''Super Mario Galaxy''
Rosalina Obsevatory.jpg|''Super Mario Galaxy''
Rosalina SMG.jpg|''Super Mario Galaxy''
LuigiRosalinaPic.jpg|''Super Mario Galaxy''
RosalinaLuma.PNG|''Super Mario Galaxy''
Rosalinaetppolari.jpg|''Super Mario Galaxy''
RosterRosalina.PNG|''[[Mario Kart Wii]]''
RosalinaSelectMKW.png|''Mario Kart Wii''
SMG2Rosalina.png|''[[Super Mario Galaxy 2]]''
Rosalina-SuperMarioGalaxy2.png|''Super Mario Galaxy 2''
Rosalina-IceWorld.png|''[[Mario Kart 7]]''
Nintendo Starlets Pauline 2.png|''[[Puzzle Swap]]''
Rosalina SM3DW.png|''[[Super Mario 3D World]]''
Fire Rosalina SM3DW.png|''Super Mario 3D World''
Cat Rosalina.png|''Super Mario 3D World''
MP 3DS Rosalina.png|''[[Mario Party: Island Tour]]''
Rocket Road Ending.png|''[[Mario Party: Island Tour]]''
Rosalina MKAGPDX.jpg|''[[Mario Kart Arcade GP DX]]''
Rosalina golf.jpg|''[[Mario Golf: World Tour]]''
Rosalina Lumas golf.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
Rosalina-MGWT.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
RosalinaHoleinone.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
RosieAlbatross.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
Rosalina birdie.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
Rosalina eagle.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
Rosalina par.jpg|''[[Mario Golf: World Tour]]''
Rosalina bogey.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
Rosalina Double Bogey.png|''Mario Golf: World Tour''

Mario Golf Lumas.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
Mario Golf Comet Observatory.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
Rosalina Double Bogey Animate.gif|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
RosalinaMGWT stats.jpg|''Mario Golf: World Tour''
MarioKart8RosalinaBike.jpg|''[[Mario Kart 8]]''
Rosalina Moo Moo A.png|''Mario Kart 8''
Rosalina Moo Moo B.jpg|''Mario Kart 8''
MK8 - GCN Sherbet Land.PNG|''Mario Kart 8''
DolphinShoals-GliderRamp.jpg|''Mario Kart 8''
MK8 Rosalina Standard ATV Monster .png|''Mario Kart 8''
Rosie biddybug.jpg|''Mario Kart 8''
Rosalina-Drift-SherbetLand-MK8.jpg|''Mario Kart 8''
Rosalina-Drift-DryDryDesert-MK8.jpg|''Mario Kart 8''
Rosalina-SweetSweetCanyon-MK8.jpg|''Mario Kart 8''

Mk8-dlc-trailer.png|''[[Mario Kart 8]]'' trailer (Note: should be moved to the trailer subsection, however)
RosalinaSmash3D.jpeg|''[[Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS]]''
Rosalina-utilt-SSB3DS.jpg|''Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS''
KirbyRosalinaMarthDiddyKongSSB3DS.jpg|''Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS''
Rosalinasmashu.jpeg|''[[Super Smash Bros. for Wii U]]''
Rosalina Ssb4.png|''[[Super Smash Bros. for Wii U]]''
RosalinaSmash4.jpg|''Super Smash Bros. for Wii U''
SSB4 Wii U - Princess Crowns.png|''Super Smash Bros. for Wii U''
SSB4 Wii U - Princess Peach and Rosalina.png|''Super Smash Bros. for Wii U''
SSB4 Wii U - Rosalina Launch Star.png|''Super Smash Bros. for Wii U''
SSB4 Wii U - Height.png|''Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
SSB4 Wii U - Rosalina Zelda.png|''Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
SSB4WiiU - Rosalina Agro Luma Screenshot.png|''Super Smash Bros. for Wii U''

File:Rosalina-Battlefield-SSBWiiU.jpg|''Super Smash Bros. for Wii U''
BallMinigame-MP10.jpg|''[[Mario Party 10]]''
File:SuperRosalina-PDSMBE.jpg|''[[Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition]]''
File:Rosalina Mega Mushroom Animated.gif|''[[Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash]]''
File:Rosalina vs Daisy animated.gif|''Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash''
File:Rosettapowershot.gif|''Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash''
File:Rosalina-Wave-MarioTennisUltraSmash.png|''Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash''

File:RosalinaMTUS.png|''[[Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash]]''
File:Rosalina Mario & Sonic.gif|''[[Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games]]''
</gallery>

For the DK stuff on the Mario gallery, I agree that it's more about the game than Mario, so moving the extra screenshots and sprites makes sense - but I'd say leave a couple of the sprites that aren't just slightly recoloured (i.e. ditch ColecoVision, keep Intellivision - but if you'd rather not be the one firing the shots, I'd be happy to go through them all). Same deal with other games with multiple versions - f.e. the three versions of MiM! all have different sprites, so they should all stay (the lack of shading in the NES one compared to the SNES one is worth showing, imo, since it's interesting how the two systems compare - unlike the endless list of DK machines and ports). Other cases of different games having very similar sprites is also work keeping (like Yoshi's Cookie vs. SNES MiM! vs. SMW)

Given how muddled the Lakitu character history is, any changes to the article should still be done via TPP. As for the talk page, it's actually more useful having everything in one place rather than in little bits and pieces all over on redirects and deleted pages and whatnot. And I definitely don't recommend trying to chop it apart now. In fact, in general, it's better to keep talk page content with its history, and just moving it around with actual page moving, rather than cutting and pasting it (in full or in parts), which should only be done as a last resort. (I can only think of 3 cases where c&p is rightfully used: 1. users with duplicate accounts that get melted together once found out; 2. when a page with a relevant discussion page is being merged to one with an existing talk page, and the old location's going to be delted, but there's no TPP on its talk page to justify the talk page not being deleted too; 3. while it's better to archive talk pages by moving them, if there's an existing archive made by c&p'ing, subsequent archives should also be c&p'd so that someone looking for the edit history corresponding to Archive 1 wouldn't have to go to Archive 3 or something - but again, if you're starting an archive for a talk page, move it.)

@Walkazo: Shouldn't it be at least one screenshot per game? I've seen that you're advocating removing like, Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart Arcade GP DX's only screenshot from Rosalina's gallery.

I was gonna leave them at first, but they kinda suck? Like, do these really enhance our knowledge of Rosalina's looks through the ages:

Rosalina-IceWorld.png

Rosalina_MKAGPDX.jpg

Uh, yeah? I mean, that's illustrates her appearance in a game she appears in. If it's bad quality, we can wait until emulation provides a better quality or someone else provides a better quality screenshot (and in the case of the 3DS screenshot, I think that IS best quality due to system limitations; the Arcade GP DX isn't a bad screenshot, it's just JPGy when it shouldn't be).

Walkazo said:
I agree with removing the gifs from Rosalina's gallery: they're unnecessary, distracting and inconsistent. A lot of screenshots could be removed too, I think (due to redundancy, low quality, etc.):
Just one more comment, I think those .gifs border on creepy and fan-servicey since it's usually the women characters that get them, just as how we're not supposed to go excessive on character description, and the female characters get this too.

Walkazo said:
Given how muddled the Lakitu character history is, any changes to the article should still be done via TPP. As for the talk page, it's actually more useful having everything in one place rather than in little bits and pieces all over on redirects and deleted pages and whatnot. And I definitely don't recommend trying to chop it apart now. In fact, in general, it's better to keep talk page content with its history, and just moving it around with actual page moving, rather than cutting and pasting it (in full or in parts), which should only be done as a last resort. (I can only think of 3 cases where c&p is rightfully used: 1. users with duplicate accounts that get melted together once found out; 2. when a page with a relevant discussion page is being merged to one with an existing talk page, and the old location's going to be delted, but there's no TPP on its talk page to justify the talk page not being deleted too; 3. while it's better to archive talk pages by moving them, if there's an existing archive made by c&p'ing, subsequent archives should also be c&p'd so that someone looking for the edit history corresponding to Archive 1 wouldn't have to go to Archive 3 or something - but again, if you're starting an archive for a talk page, move it.)
All right then. Hey, maybe we should rename the Talk Page Proposals then (maybe put a identifier-like phrase after the parentheses) so we know what it pertains to.

... I've copy pasta'd my own user talk page several times in the past but I don't think I'm just going to move it now...

Walkazo said:
For the DK stuff on the Mario gallery, I agree that it's more about the game than Mario, so moving the extra screenshots and sprites makes sense - but I'd say leave a couple of the sprites that aren't just slightly recoloured (i.e. ditch ColecoVision, keep Intellivision - but if you'd rather not be the one firing the shots, I'd be happy to go through them all). Same deal with other games with multiple versions - f.e. the three versions of MiM! all have different sprites, so they should all stay (the lack of shading in the NES one compared to the SNES one is worth showing, imo, since it's interesting how the two systems compare - unlike the endless list of DK machines and ports). Other cases of different games having very similar sprites is also work keeping (like Yoshi's Cookie vs. SNES MiM! vs. SMW)
I'm Bazooka Mario. I'm meant to fire shots while keeping the sniping to a minimum. ;)

Which reminds me to prune Mario Kart Wii's gallery. Even though I added those stupid .gifs myself, it definitely kills loading time, but I still believe it's a good illustration of character models, like how animated sprites are allowed (better than just screencapping while they're T-posing too). Better off keeping those things in Categories and whatnot.

Why are .gifs distracting? I really don't understand this. Is there some sort of scientific research that points toward that .gifs are distracting or is this just opinions?

If you place large-sized animated GIFs on articles, it hinders how I read it because I tend to gravitate my eyes towards the moving object. I suppose small ones like the sprites used in Mario & Luigi are fine, since they're smaller, but animated gifs of scenes from video games and 3d models tend to be large, complex, and just...well it's more like "flashing colors" than a smaller sprite, if you get my drift? It really depends on the animated gif itself.

All of this is anecdotal and I do have ADHD (that doesn't mean I'll say look a bunny that just means that images like these are worse for me), so idk what other opinions are.

I assume that it's mostly a matter of personal preference. For me, I usually don't mind gifs unless they cycle through or flash a lot of colours, like the Super Star gifs. Those really bother me.

Pi said:
Why are .gifs distracting? I really don't understand this. Is there some sort of scientific research that points toward that .gifs are distracting or is this just opinions?
It's mostly subjective, but they draw attention to themselves by moving around unlike the other static images. I myself find it harder to read when there's a bouncy animated GIF next to some text; even in this forum when people put very distracting signatures, I can find it more difficult to read some posts because of them (so I sometimes disable signature viewing). On top of that, I freely admit that I have ADHD, and animated GIFs in this wiki can be murder to my attention span if they're distracting enough, but that's only an extra reason.

While the subtle ones are fine by me, it's really the bouncy/flashy ones that are attention sinks. The other more-subtle Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash ones in Rosalina's galleries are fine by themselves, but Rosalina really doesn't need them, and they're low-quality because you need color indexing for animated gifs to work; gifs are intended for sprites, not technocolor screenshots. Finally, the egregious amounts of these idle animated Rosalina crap from her gallery borders on fan-service-y when that stuff really should just go on private accounts of imgur, not encyclopedias.

THIS below should not be in Rosalina's gallery, and I'm bothered people didn't just take a screenshot instead.

Rosalina_Mario_%26_Sonic.gif

Back