Sonic Boom (The Game)

I had a good chuckle when I first saw them but I'm totally fine with this. They look cartoony, which is the idea, because they're cartoon designs.

If the game looks good I'll consider buying it.

Anna said:
I...I can't get used to Sonic's for some reason.

Like, he just went from the awesome small blue blur to that awkard...lanky-limbed blue blur. It's just...he has like spider limbs now and in certain angles, he looks completely awkward as though he doesn't fit his body. The cartoon though makes his body not look so awkward, so maybe it was just some of the angles they showed in the footage.
Maybe they should've went with 2D animation. I mean, the 2D art looks better than the 3D...

Saw some concept art and am alright with that, but I still find how they look in the game to be repulsive.

Yeah, I agree. I've stated before that Sonic looks WAY too long (and as mentioned before, lifeless).

Farkles14 said:
According to Bigredbutton's website, one of their co-founders (Bob Rafei) was once one of the lead designers at Naughty Dog, and was instrumental in releasing both Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter.

That's intriguing.

Posted this in the other Sonic Boom thread. Probably more relevant here.

This basically sums up my reaction to that video
Drool+Rainbows+HD.pn

Is that supposed to be a good or bad thing?

Hypochondriac Mario said:
Is that supposed to be a good or bad thing?

Good thing. I was drooling happiness

More details
Game started development in 2011, when SEGA approached Big Red Button.

Big Red Button consists of people from Naughty Dog, High Impact Games (former Insomniac people who made the Ratchet games for PSP) and Heavy Iron Studios (known for the good Spongebob platformers and some licensed stuff)
Worked together with Crytek to make Cryengine 3 display the game on the Wii U gamepad while also showing it on the TV in co-op.

Game is mostly two-player co-op, with sometimes four players.

If you play in single player you can switch between the characters (seemingly like in the LEGO games)

Development was started before the Nintendo exclusivity deal. They say it made sense for it to eventually be on Nintendo platforms anyway (in other words, it started as a multiplatform game)

Evan Baily is the showrunner for the TV show.

They started working on it with a somber attitude, as broader media initiatives have a poor reputation. But as they worked together with Evan they were pleased to see that he’s a gamer as well. After they got together they had no more concerns.

Before really working on the games they established base rules like what the world is, what the characters are going to be like etc.

Big Red Button, SEGA and OuiDO (the animation studio producing Sonic Boom) shared ideas of what to add to both the game and cartoon.

Stephen Frost (the producer of Sonic Boom) thinks they’re building a bigger Sonic world than they usually do.

Stephen hopes to make more games set in the Boom world.

Sonic Boom won’t replace the already existent Sonic, they see it more as a branch of the franchise.

They hope to draw in new users while also trying to do something new for the Sonic franchise.

They went through a lot of potential new designs for Sonic before eventually deciding on Scarf Sonic.

Some of it's already known info such as this being a branch of the franchise and not a full-out reboot, but it's nice to hear some details from the actual developers to be sure.

I'll post some concept art myself. These drawings really look good.

2454868-sonic-expression01b.jpg

2454857-ez-color7-final-v3.jpg

2454862-tails_expressions01.jpg

(P.S. I love all of Tails expressions in this one)

2454856-tunnel_canyon_color02.jpg

I'm kinda glad Ivo seems not to be a fatass.

Well, the game's NA/EU exclusive.

Apparently, Sonic Team are wary of the new designs.

What about the show? If that's NA/EU exclusive, it'd make sense.

Back