Sonic Boom (The Game)

Re: Untitled Sonic Game coming out in 2015

The Robot Masters said:
Knuckles the Echidna said:
You forgot Knuckles.
I don't think Knuckles is necessary anymore. He's supposed to be Sonic's rival, but Sonic has a newer, better rival in Shadow. I think Knuckles just shows up because he has to.
I have limited knowledge of the Sonic franchise, but is he really irrelevant? He seems to be like the Piccolo of this series.

As if Sonic didn't have enough DBZ connections.

Hypochondriac Mario said:
I don't think it's difficult to incorporate other playable characters into the arsenal.

...that's not what Blaze said, though. He explicitly referenced "Adventure 3", which would imply a particular stylistic direction and design of play that was "proven" (again, only playing devil's advocate) not to work seven years ago.

The Robot Masters said:
better rival in Shadow.

ha ha ha ha ha

ha ha ha

ha

*ahem*

moving on...

Farkles14 said:
I don't think it's difficult to incorporate other playable characters into the arsenal.

...that's not what Blaze said, though. He explicitly referenced "Adventure 3", which would imply a particular stylistic direction and design of play that was "proven" (again, only playing devil's advocate) not to work seven years ago.

Oh, yeah, but just because it has the label "Adventure 3" doesn't necessarily mean wholly different playstyles. Just as Northern Verve said, it shouldn't be difficult to include characters with different playstyles.

I keep hearing fans say that the Adventure games are the good games. Otherwise, please educate me on this.

Farkles14 said:

Oh, yeah, but just because it has the label "Adventure 3" doesn't necessarily mean wholly different playstyles.

...but it does.

that's what I'm trying to get across.

it's a direct sequel to the first two adventure titles, and therefore an extension of the basic style and stuff that they originally orchestrated.

not following that guide would be like turning mega man 11 into a first-person shooter. ie, it just wouldn't be a classic mega man game anymore.

The Robot Masters said:
I like Shadow. Is that so hard to believe?

yes.

Farkles14 said:
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but wouldn't SEGA be staying away from multiple-styled, heavily-plot-driven games because they didn't really work out all that well for them in the past?
Farkles14 said:
It worked out just fine up until Sonic 2006, and that was only because of how rushed the game was. Sure, there were people complaining about the other characters before then, but I'm almost certain that ninety percent of them were either classic purists and/or people from game review sites such as IGN, who have the mindset that no other character matters besides Sonic and Robotnik.

The Robot Masters said:
I don't think Knuckles is necessary anymore. He's supposed to be Sonic's rival, but Sonic has a newer, better rival in Shadow. I think Knuckles just shows up because he has to.
I have nothing against Shadow, but how does he qualify as a "better rival", exactly?

Knuckles the Echidna said:
Farkles14 said:
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but wouldn't SEGA be staying away from multiple-styled, heavily-plot-driven games because they didn't really work out all that well for them in the past?
Farkles14 said:
It worked out just fine up until Sonic 2006, and that was only because of how rushed the game was.

well there was heroes too, but that was another can of worms let's not get into. touché.

Ooo, I see.

Sonic Heroes didn't differ THAT much when it comes to basic playstyle. You got the fly dude, the attacking guy, and the running guy. There are some slight variations, but it's the same.

Sonic Adventure 2 also had "different guys, but same premise" thing.

I was basing my arguments on these two games, and that these two games had characters playable other than Sonic for once.

That being said, it would be interesting if we had some sort of mutliplayer support, but I'm not sure how it will work in a Sonic game.

my personal issue with the adventures model in particular, though, is that it wasn't "pick a character, pick a level, and go"

rather you'd have sonic and tails running around, while big fished, knuckles hunted for emerald shards and eggman raised chao babies.

i'm not against giving minor characters more time in the limelight, but the way it was done in the two adventures games, and to a lesser extent heroes, it felt somewhat disjointed.

The first Adventures is a bit disjointed, though. I think it tried giving it replay value with "same story, but with a different spin!" kind of thing. Some of it is executed painfully badly. In the second one, I think they tried to make playthroughs interesting with three different playstyles. They need to do it correctly so people will look forward to a nice change of pace in the game, which is something that, I felt, was executed haphazardly.

They should make it so each character plays similarily, but with different quirks, and that players have a choice to use a certain character for each level, rather than restricting some levels to that guy and other levels to this gal.

Farkles14 said:
eggman raised chao babies.
The Chao-raising thing wasn't exclusive to him. That could be done by any character who comes across a Chao key. Robotnik had the same playstyle as Tails (and Gamma), where he'd use a mech, lock onto enemies, and blast them.

Yeah, but let's be honest here. No one really gave a shit about shooting shit as Ivo because he made a wonderful father.

Why is it that every time I hear people talking about Sonic games, they just go like "this game was shit; that game was shit".

The only positive stuff I've heard about a Sonic game was about Sonic Adventures 2.

Mario4Ever said:
Yeah, but let's be honest here. No one really gave a shit about shooting shit as Ivo because he made a wonderful father.
It's the other way around for me. I hated the Chao Garden concept with a passion, and I was more than happy to say "good riddance" to it as soon as Sonic Heroes came along. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if that garbage were to never come back.

Anna said:
The only positive stuff I've heard about a Sonic game was about Sonic Adventures 2.
I'm guessing you've never come across the "any Modern game that isn't Colors or Generations sucks" crowd?

Somehow, this isn't all that surprising to me. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened, if this wasn't any indication.

We're gonna receive a future Sonic game anyway, so this news isn't all that fake.

Baby Luigi said:
We're gonna receive a future Sonic game anyway, so this news isn't all that fake.

True, but the information shown at Nuremburg has officially been declared "incorrect" by Sega, so...

I understand that, but we can still speculate/wish for stuff

So... maybe I should change the topic for whatever the 3rd Nintendo exclusive Sonic game is then?

I believe we're still getting that at least.

Northern Verve said:
So... maybe I should change the topic for whatever the 3rd Nintendo exclusive Sonic game is then?

I believe we're still getting that at least.

i'm 100% convinced that there's a loophole and the 3rd nintendo exclusive sonic game is actually smash bros

Back