Sonic Boom (The Game)

Magikrazy said:
except sa2 did call him eggman

^

SA2 is one of the more modern games, it sucks, its buggy, and still i like it.

Fat Mario said:
Northern Verve said:
Personally I actually enjoyed Lost World myself. Sure I wouldn't say it's a great Sonic game. By all means the most recent "Great" Sonic game definitely goes to the PC/Console versions of Sonic Generations. But I don't know, I think I was already kind of bored of the "Boost-to-win" engine that we've had since the day stages of Unleashed and with some fine tuning. I feel the Parkour system would work well if used again.

Overall that just makes me think it's a stretch that we're under another slump for Sonic games (Or some have even said a new Dark Age of Sonic). For those who aren't aware of what the Dark Age of Sonic is considered. It's usually said to have begun with Sonic 06 (Though some put it as far back as the Shadow the Hedgehog game) and ended depending who you ask, after Unleashed or when Sonic Colors came out.
1. I also like Lost World (actually, I own the 3DS version), but they couldn't have made the level design worse if they tried.
2. The "dark age" is now considered to be from Shadow the Hedgehog to Secret Rings (like I said, people are starting to accept Black Knight and Unleashed)

1. I've heard the 3DS version of Lost World is indeed a bad game. But when I referred to Lost World in my post, I mainly mean the Wii U version.
2. Again, this is kind of why I said depending who you ask. The closest to a solid point that the Dark Age of Sonic was over was when Sonic Colors got the positive reception it got. But there are some that like to point towards a point earlier where maybe Sonic started pulling itself out of the dark age a little earlier then that. As even the Dark Age of Sonic had some shining moments happen within the time (Ex: Sonic being included in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example)

The 3DS version must be good if the fandom's barely acknowledging it. Remember when they pretended that the Advance, Rush and Rivals games didn't exist just so they could keep claiming there there hadn't been a good Sonic game in ten years?

Also it's weird how they can forgive Adventures 1 and 2 for the Emerald Hunt stages but not Unleashed for the Werehog stages.

SiFi said:
The 3DS version must be good if the fandom's barely acknowledging it. Remember when they pretended that the Advance, Rush and Rivals games didn't exist just so they could keep claiming there there hadn't been a good Sonic game in ten years?

Also it's weird how they can forgive Adventures 1 and 2 for the Emerald Hunt stages but not Unleashed for the Werehog stages.

The 3DS version is often considered better then the Wii U version. But still considered on the more mediocre side. A better kind of mediocre then the Wii U version's mediocre but mediocre nonetheless.

Adventure 2 is my favorite Sonic game in the franchise still. I personally don't mind the Emerald Hunting stages even if they are the most annoying of the game. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was just my first Sonic game ever, I was introduced into the series with that game. And I feel I have a fair amount of reason for saying it's my favorite of the franchise so far. Because beyond just the main part of the game, the Chao Gardens help make it the most replayable of any Sonic game before or after. Cause it's so surprisingly complex of what you can do.

It recently occurred to me that Adventure 2 could totally have been done like this: Sonic and Shadow's stages would still be "get to the goal real fast", and Tails and Rouge would have puzzle-type stages where they'd have to put their flight and other abilities to good use to get to the goal, and then there'd be stages with Knuckles or the Egg Walker where you'd have to fight through large crowds of enemies to get to the goal, except not in a Werehog-type way.

SiFi said:
Remember when they pretended that the Advance, Rush and Rivals games didn't exist just so they could keep claiming there there hadn't been a good Sonic game in ten years?

I've seen many acknowledge the first Advance is a decent game and dimiss Advance 2 and Dimp's stuff because hold right to win and words words words.

You don't count you hang in the super obscure places and seek out the super obscure things.

Also I've always struggled to get that far in Advance 2 I guess I just wasn't holding right hard enough. But yeah I only started hearing that particular argument after Sonic 4 came out and they wanted something to complain about so they put the game under a microscope so they could find differences in the physics engine and then they forgot how "difference" doesn't necessarily mean "flaw" again.

So this game is receiving a 1 GB (!) patch today.

http://nintendoeverything.com/sonic-boom-rise-of-lyric-has-received-an-update/

I don't think it's enough to fix the game's biggest problems though

They shouldn't release a half-assed game only to patch it later on. Reminds me of Battlefied, frankly. Nevertheless, I guess the patch is better late than never.

You know, besides a ton of the glitches, the game is not that bad. Watched Game Grumps half-ass their way through it, and honestly it made me actually want to play the game. The scenery is very beautiful, the characters all have their own powers and abilities that you constantly switch back and forth between in the game, there's a lot to actually do, and one thing the glitches differ from Sonic '06 is that they don't make the game unplayable. IIRC, Sonic '06 had tons of spots where you had to redo many times because it just flung you off the platform randomly, while Sonic Boom it's just an eyesore at times because of it.

Yeah, one thing I noticed about the Game Grumps playthrough is how the glitches weren't really apparent until the comments taught them the Knuckles glitch and Barry showed the intro frame-by-frame.

Every game has glitches, and in a good game, they can be found easily enough if the player knows what they're doing, but in a bad game like Sonic 06 the glitches are found whether you want them to be or not. This game seems to be kind of in between.

SiFi said:
Yeah, one thing I noticed about the Game Grumps playthrough is how the glitches weren't really apparent until the comments taught them the Knuckles glitch and Barry showed the intro frame-by-frame.

Every game has glitches, and in a good game, they can be found easily enough if the player knows what they're doing, but in a bad game like Sonic 06 the glitches are found whether you want them to be or not. This game seems to be kind of in between.
I think the glitch mileage varies for every player, but this game would probably feel unstable. I'd list glitch unpredictability as "unstable".

Mario Party X said:
They shouldn't release a half-assed game only to patch it later on. Reminds me of Battlefied, frankly. Nevertheless, I guess the patch is better late than never.
Hold on hold on I realized something.

This is pretty much what they did with Sonic 3, and that ended up becoming a contender for best Sonic game ever.

sonic 3 didn't have any bugs to fix

It did, and they didn't even fix them when they updated it.

yeah but nothing major

Yes, something major. Don't get me wrong, the final product is still my favorite game in the series, but there are quite a few times when the game engine doesn't understand how two surfaces are interacting and just decides "i guess the player character was crushed and died". It's not even that rare an occurrence. If it was as likely to happen in a more recent Sonic game as it was in that game, I'm confident everyone would be rushing to brand it "the new sonic 06"

In my opinion, I mean, and I'm probably totally wrong!

Back