Pretty Much My Opinions on Mario/Nintendo

Rin Kagamine said:
Now, I'm not wanting to start any fights, but I just wanted to state some opinions of mine on the Mario series (and actually, I asked my mom about this earlier, she completely agrees with all of it).

People say Galaxy 1 is an excellent game and stuff like that, but I never really liked that game. The way the camera moves when you're walking makes it really hard to see what you're doing, and it also gives me a huge headache.

Also, I've seen people say that Mario games are literally getting easier with every game. I personally think that's a huge exaggeration. I mean, sure, they're not nearly as challenging as the original ones, but I think Nintendo is just trying to introduce Mario to players who aren't nearly as advanced as players who grew up on Mario (and I would be considered one of those players, for the record).

Another thing is, people are complaining over the friggin' soundtrack and how it's pretty much the same. Not true. They change it a little bit, but if they changed it all completely, then the whole series would probably be different.

Note; I am not saying people can't have their own opinions, and I'm not trying to start a fight about that, these are just my own, and my mom's, opinions on this.

Super Mario Galaxy is an excellent game and you make a good point about the camera. The problem with 3D games is that it's tough creating something that gives enough camera options that you have a way to see everything that you need to see. Even then, the level designers are sometimes blissfully unaware of camera angle problems. Such is life when you have a massive development project.

I would say the Mario games ARE getting easier. The toughest game in the Mario universe to me was the original Super Mario Bros 2 (no not the sub-con NA version, the original Doki Doki Panic). New Super Mario Bros and New Super Mario Bros Wii had some tough spots, but nothing as bad as what I've faced there. New Super Mario Bros Wii (and Wii U)'s tough spots are completely optional. Doki Doki panic's tough spots are mandatory until you get to world 9 - and then you only have one life.

The soundtrack is massively different, but of course you're going to have similar themes and similar styles if you have the same composer or groups of composers. But, the soundtrack of Super Mario Galaxy was incredible, and the one to New Super Mario Bros was well done and the games in the series play off of each other. Play Super Mario World, then Super Mario 64, then Super Mario Sunshine, then Super Mario Galaxy - and you see a clear maturation of Koji Kondo as a composer. Super Mario All-Stars doesn't count since that was assisted by Soyo Oka ;)

I didn't grow up with Mario back in the NES, SNES or N64 days. As a result, I appreciate the series more.

Count Bleck said:
I've also noticed that the Mario series as a whole has been going downhill this generation. Paper Mario: Sticker Star is an obvious example, especially after the great legendary epic that was Super Paper Mario. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, while much less of an offender, even gave fans a few middle fingers (such as "expecting a unique final boss? Too bad, Bowser time!") The platform games are obviously going downhill as well, as Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the last one I consider to be "excellent."

I think this all stems from the "great change" Miyamoto wanted for Sticker Star and other Mario games. The Wii/DS era had Mario games with more story elements than others in the series (SPM, SMG, ML2-3, SMG2, SM64DS) while this era is completely stripping the series of its unique traits (any villain who isn't Bowser, worlds that don't resemble the NSMB Mushroom Kingdom, open worlds, exploration, obviously story, and even difficulty)

I guess we can only hope for better Mario games this year, am I right?
I guess it's not "going downhill" but more like "not going big" and "playing it safe". We can see that the structural world of Sicker Star is apparently smaller than the previous Paper titles. In other games we still can still see great changes. SM3DW is one of them.

For now WiiU&3DS does look like going with what the Wii&DS, ironically as their console name shown. The other titles such as Tennis or Olympics don't show many meritorious changes, but even less innotative and appealing, perhaps so for the upcoming Golf. Maybe the best way is to temprarily stop these series, just try to come up with a new one or concentrate on other series.

Does anyone else think the lives system, score counter, and level timer should be removed from Super Mario games? (Unless they were to add leaderboards for Best Time/Best Score)

Mario4Ever said:
Crackin355 said:
*Reading thread*

Don't worry Sticker Star, I'll always love you ;_;
+1 (even if I never get around to finishing you because your final boss fight is a pain in the ass)
thumbup.gif

I always feels like the only one that likes Sticker Star until I see one of you post.

Crackin355 said:
*Reading thread*

Don't worry Sticker Star, I'll always love you ;_;

*salutes*

It actually surprises me how many people other than me who probably will. Thought I'd be the only one.

Personally i think id hate it, as it tries to be an rpg and not be an rpg at the same time.

Plus the whole sticker system seems kinda wonkey too.

Pretty sure my rpg nerdiness would end in massive rage, so ive avoided it.

Vocal Beat said:
Does anyone else think the lives system, score counter, and level timer should be removed from Super Mario games? (Unless they were to add leaderboards for Best Time/Best Score)
All three are pointless and even detract from gameplay, so I'm all for it.

I don't know about the score counter, since it is a fun addition and doesn't get in the way of the gameplay, but the timer and lives counter should definitely be removed.

Oh god I hate that timer in 3D World. If anything, it should count UP not DOWN.

What is the point of the timer, anyway? To "keep you moving" throughout the stage? Why would they force you to keep moving? They should think of those who like to take their time and explore, collect stuff, etc.

We know it's a throwback to the older games, which I think were supposed to be on an arcade???

Hellooooo Nintendo, you live in 2010's. Your competitors (Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Rayman) don't use timers and they're still pretty damn good games, why are you STILL resorting to using that level design potential waster?

And there's also the lives. Game Overs have been heavily nerfed in recent games, so lives are meaningless and just serve to slow you down if you lose all of them and make you select a "Try Again" option. Oh and to put 1-Up Mushrooms in the stages.

Lives need to be removed unless they serve a valid purpose, rather than make hard games harder or be pointless otherwise.

Back