Pretty Much My Opinions on Mario/Nintendo

Mario4Ever said:
The PlayStation was the result of a collaborative effort between Sony and Nintendo, but then Nintendo decided to work with Phillips, backing what would become the CD-i while Sony released the PlayStation themselves.
Oh.

Damn, Nintendo really dropped the ball there. So instead of getting Zelda on PlayStation, we got the CD-I. You done goofed Nintendo.

The Robot Masters said:
Don't forget their other mistakes.

The Virtual Boy yes
The Mario movie no
Those Cd-i Zelda games and Hotel Mario no
Choosing to have the 64 take cartridges no
The GameCube no
And a plethora of horrible accessories. like what?

Gonna advertise a bit here.

Of you want to discuss the current state of Nintendo and hear my thoughts on then right now you can check the thread I made in Video Games.

Ganondorf said:
Damn, Nintendo really dropped the ball there. So instead of getting Zelda on PlayStation, we got the CD-I. You done goofed Nintendo.

Just in case you were curious about the specifics, in a 1988 deal, Sony was given the right to control and profit from all CD-based software on the console, and Sony also was Nintendo's only supplier of the audio chip inside the SNES (the PlayStation had a port for playing SNES games, btw). Yamauchi did not want Nintendo to be dependent on any other company (after years of other companies being dependent on Nintendo).

The Wii is my favorite system

PC Master Race

Wrong, because there isn't Mario in the games.

Do you count mods?

OK, allow my two bits for a moment.

Super Mario 3D World is indeed a great game. However, I have to laugh at all this "best 3D Mario ever" hogwash. The star/shine collecting games obviously have had much more care put into them quality-wise. The worlds were more unique (I agree the true Bowser world in 3DW was unique, but the rest of the worlds were generic themes from other recent Mario games) and I could squeeze out much more playtime in those games due to multiple missions in each level. I don't hate 3D World, but I believe it is the second-weakest in the series (after 3D Land).

I've also noticed that the Mario series as a whole has been going downhill this generation. Paper Mario: Sticker Star is an obvious example, especially after the great legendary epic that was Super Paper Mario. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, while much less of an offender, even gave fans a few middle fingers (such as "expecting a unique final boss? Too bad, Bowser time!") The platform games are obviously going downhill as well, as Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the last one I consider to be "excellent."

I think this all stems from the "great change" Miyamoto wanted for Sticker Star and other Mario games. The Wii/DS era had Mario games with more story elements than others in the series (SPM, SMG, ML2-3, SMG2, SM64DS) while this era is completely stripping the series of its unique traits (any villain who isn't Bowser, worlds that don't resemble the NSMB Mushroom Kingdom, open worlds, exploration, obviously story, and even difficulty)

I guess we can only hope for better Mario games this year, am I right?

Ha, the games haven't gone downhill. It's more like they stagnated.

I do, too, but I know when something is going downhill when I see it.

One main thing I liked in 3D World, was that unlike what I've seen in other games, most of the Stars are only hidden or hard to get if it's a level where you have the ability to explore (which most are), and it makes it fun to find them.

Yet with side scrolling levels or any type of level that you can't explore much, they lay them out in the open for you, but are not necessarily insanely easy to get.

I like this, because it's still fun for me to explore and stuff, but on levels where I can't explore, they're right where you can get them.

Also, from a past comment, for people who grew up on classic games and the new games are easier because they've grown up and stuff isn't necessarily true.

I never grew up on the classic games. My first Mario platformer was NSMB, and I actually had a lot of trouble on it, along with other games after, and I still do struggle sometimes (though I've gotten better).

My mom, on the other hand, grew up on classic games (she was playing the SNES when it came out for Pete's sake!), but she still finds the new games fun. Sure, they're easier for her, but not insanely, laughably easy like I've seen some people put it.

Overall, I think it just depends.

GalacticPetey said:
Mario has been really hit or miss lately.

There's been great games like 3D Land and Dark Moon.

Then there's been some clunkers like Sticker Star and NSMB2.

I personally enjoyed NSMB2. Even if it was extremely easy, it was still fun, at least.

Sticker Star can go die in a hole, though.

I abhored Galaxy 2 and I was happy when 3D World came along and basically kicked that damn game to the ground

Baby Luigi said:
I abhored Galaxy 2 and I was happy when 3D World came along and basically kicked that damn game to the ground

pretty sure it wouldnt take much to shoot down galaxy 2.

Crackin355 said:
*Reading thread*

Don't worry Sticker Star, I'll always love you ;_;

+1 (even if I never get around to finishing you because your final boss fight is a pain in the ass)

Back