What the flying freak is found in our food?

Yeah I know but it's still a really dumb label.

I understand heating microwave stuff "contents may be hot" but I think adding a small print saying "contains nuts" is still dumb.

So if a company doesn't put the "Contains: Nuts" label on a container of nuts, somebody with a nut allergy will buy the nuts, not knowing there are nuts in there; consume the nuts, still not aware they are eating nuts; and then die?

That was their own fault.
They deserve to die.

The Robot Masters said:
So if a company doesn't put the "Contains: Nuts" label on a container of nuts, somebody with a nut allergy will buy the nuts, not knowing there are nuts in there; consume the nuts, still not aware they are eating nuts; and then die?

They deserve to die.

what if they are blind or just have bad vision?

Princess Zae said:
The Robot Masters said:

They deserve to die.

what if they are blind or just have bad vision?

Pretty sure blind people can't even shop in the first place without help. And I doubt they would buy something they don't know what's in there.

Besides, putting "Contains: Nuts" on a jar of nuts won't help in that scenario since blind people can't read.

Or are you suggesting we label food in Braille too?

The Robot Masters said:
Besides, putting "Contains: Nuts" on a jar of nuts won't help in that scenario since blind people can't read.

I don't know really, i was just asking questions.

However i dont think people deserve to die due to some reading/viewing issues though

Again, I doubt people would buy stuff without knowing what's in there, like, at all.

Princess Zae said:
The Robot Masters said:

I don't know really, i was just asking questions.

However i dont think people deserve to die due to some reading/viewing issues though
Reading issues aren't the problem, though. The debate is whether or not a pack of nuts should have that small print that only states the obvious.

Here. I'll do a scenario. I have a problem reading and a nut allergy. I pick up a container. I'm not sure if they are nuts. If I was smart, I would

A. Ask someone who works there.
B. Not buy them.

A dumb person, however, would buy them without asking what they are or what's in them. Those are the people that deserve what's coming to them.

other scenario
customer; excuse me kind customer service rep, does this have nuts? the label is unclear because companies are lazy?
employee; derp how should I know, I don't even like working here derp

customer buys anyway, and they die, not their fault

Michell said:
other scenario
customer; excuse me kind customer service rep, does this have nuts? the label is unclear because companies are lazy?
employee; derp how should I know, I don't even like working here derp

customer buys anyway, and they die, not their fault
We're talking about the small print on the back.

There's still the large print on the front that says "X Brand Nuts".

And yes, it is their fault. I agree the employee should have been more helpful (perhaps the customer should have called the manager), but the customer still bought something without knowing what it was.

what I'm saying
what if a company says "well x brand nuts doesn't need an allergy label, so why does my product need a label?"
and they get away without having a label, and someone thinks it doesn't have nuts, and they die

may contain nuts refers to where they were made/packaged, it means that there were nuts nearby, and trace amounts could have contaminated the non-nut food

I agree it seems pointless to put nut warnings on nuts, but if they didn't, other companies would whine that they had too, and maybe someone would let them slip through, etc.

Dracomon said:
What about those fruit flavored candies that say "may contain nuts"?

Or "manufactured in the same place that manufactures nuts"

idk about that

The Robot Masters said:

They deserve to die.

The core idea here is to remove the label from everything that obviously contains nuts, right?

So where exactly would you draw the line? What, to a reasonably objective degree, qualifies as "obvious"? Salted peanuts would be a no-brainer of course, but things arent always so clear-cut in the industry. There's likely a bunch of gray area products where one half of the population would go "well duh, there's nuts in that" and the other "I had no idea!".

I assume there are certain legislations in place that deal with proper labelling of groceries, and with it a bunch of institutes that maintain and apply them. These legislations would have to be altered to remove the nut label from obvious nut products. A number of people would have to be put in charge of this procedure. They would have to review each new nut product, discuss it in depth, play out every imaginable circumstance of purchase, and then reach a verdict on whether it deserves the label or not. This would be a bureaucratic hootenanny of nonsense and indubitably waste people's money.

Is that worth it just to make people stop having to roll their eyes whenever they look at a can of nuts? No, just put the damn label on everything to be sure and be done with it.

I don't care how much process it goes through, I still think it's utterly stupid.

I'm not saying we should remove it, I just think it's just fun pointing out how absurd it looks.

Gabumon said:
The Robot Masters said:

They deserve to die.

The core idea here is to remove the label from everything that obviously contains nuts, right?

So where exactly would you draw the line? What, to a reasonably objective degree, qualifies as "obvious"? Salted peanuts would be a no-brainer of course, but things arent always so clear-cut in the industry. There's likely a bunch of gray area products where one half of the population would go "well duh, there's nuts in that" and the other "I had no idea!".

I assume there are certain legislations in place that deal with proper labelling of groceries, and with it a bunch of institutes that maintain and apply them. These legislations would have to be altered to remove the nut label from obvious nut products. A number of people would have to be put in charge of this procedure. They would have to review each new nut product, discuss it in depth, play out every imaginable circumstance of purchase, and then reach a verdict on whether it deserves the label or not. This would be a bureaucratic hootenanny of nonsense and indubitably waste people's money.

Is that worth it just to make people stop having to roll their eyes whenever they look at a can of nuts? No, just put the dang label on everything to be sure and be done with it.
THANK YOU
that, is what I was trying to say

Baby Luigi said:
I don't care how much process it goes through, I still think it's utterly stupid.

I'm not saying we should remove it, I just think it's just fun pointing out how absurd it looks.
which is fine, but then I pointed out it was needed, and then it escalated quite badly from there :P

Partially hydrogenated oil is my favorite ingredient in food. Especially when the FDA allows companies to label their packages 0 grams of trans fat even if it contains 0.5 grams per serving.

But it's a wonder ingredient! I mean, it's genius! Except for the artificial trans fats of course.

It's not good when you're a vegetarian/vegan

Also, a bit tough to swallow, but, eh...?

Back