What the flying freak is found in our food?

Hypochondriac Mario said:
  • Azodicarbonamide
    Used in cereal, flower, and bread. Also essential to make foamed plastic and synthetic leather. Window and door gaskets also use it. Same thing for padded floor mats, excessive mats, and shoe soles.

ok i'm not trying to debate the larger point here and this shit may very well be toxic, but the argument doesn't make sense

the argument is basically "substance A is found in inedible products X, Y, and Z, therefore substance A is not safe for human beings to consume"

but if we take that to be a valid argument form, obvious logical absurdities follow. for example, "water is found in lead-acid batteries, dish soap, and cat urine, therefore water is not safe for human beings to consume"

Shoutmon said:
ok i'm not trying to debate the larger point here and this shit may very well be toxic, but the argument doesn't make sense

the argument is basically "substance A is found in inedible products X, Y, and Z, therefore substance A is not safe for human beings to consume"

but if we take that to be a valid argument form, obvious logical absurdities follow. for example, "water is found in lead-acid batteries, dish soap, and cat urine, therefore water is not safe for human beings to consume"
I agree, it's a fallacious argument.

Also I hate how people try to demonize "meat paste" or say things like "oh my god, chicken mcnuggets are made of pink slime! can you find the mcnugget on a chicken?" As Tom Naughton wisely put it, "No... but can you find the sausage on a pig?"

But sausage is made up out of more than one kind of meant....I think.

This sort of stuff is as hilarious as it is annoying. Banjo did well though. Hey, EDTA is in fizzy drinks, oh no! But it's there to prevent benzene formation, hooray. Fruits contain acids! So do our bodies! Etc. Ah, this really is amusingly stupid almost all the time. Smell ya later.

Princess Puddin said:
Oh boy a food thread.

6txQKfq.jpg

TIL ants are smarter that humans.

Margarine is disgusting. Go full fat butter.

Full fat stuff>>>>>>Reduced fat stuff

Such as how regular Coca Cola will always beat Diet Coke and Coke Zero.

Personally, I find the food additives just like some extra "protein" the FDA allows in food: it's disgusting and strange, but there are no ill effects associated with them, so they're safe for consumption.

sprinkles have bugs in them ;)
and no I don't just say that to scare kids, cake, doughnut, muffin, whatever it is, if it has sprinkles those sprinkles are made from ground up bugs :P
bugs are yummy (again, not kidding) ;D

also chicken nuggets are mainly corn, lighter fluid, and silly putty :P

For those who assume I'm stating that these additives are poisonous: most of them are NOT poisonous.

My purpose here is to show really weird things in our food, and maybe it's to encourage you to scan the ingredients list.

Microcrystalline cellulose, for instance, harbors absolutely no ill effects in your body, but this stuff, derived from what, trees, is found in ice cream. I mean, that's purely bizarre. And that's all.

Shoutmon said:
Hypochondriac Mario said:
  • Azodicarbonamide
    Used in cereal, flower, and bread. Also essential to make foamed plastic and synthetic leather. Window and door gaskets also use it. Same thing for padded floor mats, excessive mats, and shoe soles.

ok i'm not trying to debate the larger point here and this *bleep* may very well be toxic, but the argument doesn't make sense

No, you read your own arguments into simple statements I made. In no way did I ever state that just because these additives are found in food and nonfood means that they're toxic.

This substance, while it harbors no ill effects, shouldn't be found in food in the first place. Additives like these serve a reason, to "flavor" and "enhance" our food because otherwise, they would look and taste dull.

There is a difference between food that ingredients are naturally derived from and stuff that is added into foods.

This thread is to simply showcase weird additives that food manufacturers resort to to enhance their foods. It emphasizes on the bizarre rather than the toxic.

• Doctor Walter Bishop said:
    Cultures eat hog ass and cow testicles so as far as I know this is simply getting the best of both worlds
    If it weren't for castoreum extract, the food would taste and smell dull. Why use it when you can use actual vanillas? Also, shouldn't vegetarians be notified of this? This is just purely bizarre.

Doctor Walter Bishop said:
    That's a harsh generalization. It's perfectly safe. You'd have to eat it extremely concentrated in an astronomically short time for it to do ANY damage. Source? Look at its god danged NFPA diamond, please.

SDblBvT.png

Hmm, a zero in blue, eh? "Poses no health hazard, no precautions necessary and would offer no hazard beyond that of ordinary combustible materials (e.g., wood)"

It is safe, but food manufacturers add this stuff to ice cream to make it easier to scoop. It's similar to how they add emulsifiers and thickening agents to "enhance" their otherwise crap food.

If you're going to whine about amino acids in your food, then I've got a "nasty surprise" for you, too.

Amino acids are essential proteins, but when food manufacturers don't want to use actual flavors, they resort to this to mimic the taste. Again, it's just odd, but I guess it saves a lot of money.

1. Go to this site.
    2. Close your eyes.
    3. Randomly poke the computer screen.

There's a 40% chance you need it to live. And there's a 100% chance it has been stereotyped and is actually beautiful in its own way. Except the lanthanides. *bleep* the lanthanides.

How 'bout you go without iron. It'll be fun when you have to take hemoglobin supplements for your anemia.

Iron is an essential ingredient, but when food manufacturers sprinkle their foods with the literal stuff (our bodies find it hard to absorb this sort of iron), that's just... I don't know... it's like putting fat-soluble vitamins in a fat-free drink and claiming it's loaded with vitamins.

This is the one that confounds me the most. So it's bad because... it's from a beetle? Which are closely related to the example organism you gave that the beetle is substituting for: crabs
    It's bad not because it's unhealthy, but it gives the food it colors an appealing hue so it looks delectable. Which means it covers up things.

Cellulose is pretty much "essence of plant cell". Not necessarily from wood chips.
    It's specifically microcrystalline cellulose, a term for refined wood pulp. Nothing wrong about it, but all it does is an agent to gussy up stuff.

Another thing that just sounds evil because it has a long, droning chemical name. It's an anti-foaming agent. It does bother me, however, how it has a 2 in its blue diamond even though it has "no marked chemical effects on organisms".
    Except you don't use that stuff in your kitchen. Again, food manufacturers resort to anything to make their stuff look and taste good.

but it's yummy
    I know. :) I'd like to have wholesome meat instead.

I take back the thing about the beetles. You're against this because a machine is separating the meat instead of a human being?
No, but it's a way to wrangle every last bit (and then fill it with artificial flavors, methinks) of the carcass. It does save money.

the point stands regardless of everything you've said. "substance A is found in inedible products X, Y, and Z, therefore it's bizarre for human beings to consume substance A" is just as invalid of an argument as what i said before, and for the same reasons

Dracomon said:
Have it ever occurred to you that there is no agrument, and just a series of "fun" facts?

would make the most sense

because this shit is literally the dumbest thing ive ever read through

why does it matter lol

as long as it's not harmful to my health and the food still tastes good, they can make it out of sawdust for all i care

Thrawn said:
why does it matter lol

as long as it's not harmful to my health and the food still tastes good, they can make it out of sawdust for all i care

because people love to bitch apparently

Dracomon said:
Have it ever occurred to you that there is no agrument, and just a series of "fun" facts?

no. the op has clear implications with its use of emotionally loaded language like "Our tummies are landfill. :'("

you consider "It's pink slime in technical terms." to be emotionally neutral language?

well, in that case she'd be wrong. the word "slime" has well known negative connotations

it's not

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/slime said:
slime (slīm)
n.
[...]
5. Vile or disgusting matter.
[...]

i'm not really that interested in debating this. i'm just tired of seeing the specific logical fallacy i pointed out in my first post

Back