Featured Articles

Mario Party Δ said:
Neo Bowser City got nominated.

I think it's a run-of-the-mill Mario Kart track article, but I don't know if that alone should be the difference between featured article or not.
The introduction paragraph is poorly worded since it uses dashes ( / ), something which should never be needed. Much like Reversinator said, the course layout section is really lacking. It could do well with a couple of images. Furthermore, the amount of trivia is disgusting. These are only immediate reactions to this I have at the moment, mind you.

Mario Party Δ said:
Neo Bowser City got nominated.

I think it's a run-of-the-mill Mario Kart track article, but I don't know if that alone should be the difference between featured article or not.
I agree with you in the comments, it's an okay article, it's just I wouldn't call it one of our best.

The references aren't in the standard format. Not having played the game due to it not releasing in my region, I cannot comment on anything beyond this.

Add a gameplay image in this article somewhere. I haven't played this, so I don't know what the gameplay looks like. Perhaps add an image of a microgame in action or something in the "list of microgames" section.

Oh, another idea. Instead of having the Story section just be a table, have it be separated into subsections. Try to find a standardised way of putting each section, too.

Baby Luigi said:
Add a gameplay image in this article somewhere. I haven't played this, so I don't know what the gameplay looks like. Perhaps add an image of a microgame in action or something in the "list of microgames" section.
My sister is right, the immediate thing I've seen is that the article needs more screenshots. For its sale section, don't simply list the numbers. Is it relatively successful or not?

Mario Party Δ said:
For its sale section, don't simply list the numbers. Is it relatively successful or not?

Wikipedia and other neutral POV encyclopedias do infact "simply list the numbers", as well as any other relevant information about a thing's given financial performance ("call of duty Modern warfare 2 broke entertainement launch records", "GRID 2 was the third best-selling game in the UK for the month it launched...", "an executive said Superman 64 was unprofitable... etc") and do not make qualitative statement about a game's success. This is because financial success is not simply determined by the raw number of copies sold, but also things like the game's budget, opportunity cost, etc. We do not know on what budget WarioWare twisted was made on, and for what we know, it might've not been that profitable becuase localizing it was expensive, the western release bombed... etc.

Like, I guess you could more data about where it placed on its launch week and how it compares to the sales of other Warioware games, but qualitative statements like "WarioWare Twisted was a commercial success" are not the way to go. It's better and safer (for our ass) to provide the facts and let the reader come to a conclusion with the data available to them.

Pi said:
The references aren't in the standard format. Not having played the game due to it not releasing in my region, I cannot comment on anything beyond this.
Done; the only exception is one that seems to be down. I'll try to look for a link that's up once I'm done with the other stuff.

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah, that was something I noticed after I made the post. It's annoying to find images that give the reader the impression that there's genuine tilting going on. I have a couple of images of the menus at the moment, but I'm interested in looking for something better. I also tried out adding images of everyone's story into the template box, though the placement's definitely temporary as well.

Pi said:
Oh, another idea. Instead of having the Story section just be a table, have it be separated into subsections. Try to find a standardised way of putting each section, too.
Honestly, I think the table looks neater instead of having a clutter of subheaders (though I'll have to reconsider if I'm keeping the second set of images...), and it's also consistent with Mega Microgames (WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!) and Smooth Moves (WarioWare: Smooth Moves). What exactly do you mean by "standardised"?

Mario Party Δ said:
For its sale section, don't simply list the numbers. Is it relatively successful or not?
Per Glowsquid on why I disagree with this.

edit: a word

Glowsquid said:
Mario Party Δ said:

Wikipedia and other neutral POV encyclopedias do infact "simply list the numbers", as well as any other relevant information about a thing's given financial performance ("call of duty Modern warfare 2 broke entertainement launch records", "GRID 2 was the third best-selling game in the UK for the month it launched...", "an executive said Superman 64 was unprofitable... etc") and do not make qualitative statement about a game's success. This is because financial success is not simply determined by the raw number of copies sold, but also things like the game's budget, opportunity cost, etc. We do not know on what budget WarioWare twisted was made on, and for what we know, it might've not been that profitable becuase localizing it was expensive, the western release bombed... etc.

Like, I guess you could more data about where it placed on its launch week and how it compares to the sales of other Warioware games, but qualitative statements like "WarioWare Twisted was a commercial success" are not the way to go. It's better and safer (for our ass) to provide the facts and let the reader come to a conclusion with the data available to them.

I see your point. I just thought it might be more illustrative if we make those numbers mean something, relatively speaking. Stuff like "third-best selling game" or "topped sales chart at release week" or something like that, but yeah, I wasn't thinking about drawing conclusions and making subjective statements.

I like the way it's turning out so far

I think the first table needs a bit tweaking. It's a bit difficult to distinguish what story belongs to who. But even if the problem isn't addressed I don't think I have any objections to it being featured.

Maybe also add a table of characters like the other WarioWare articles do instead of merely a list. You might want to fill out red links as well.

A lot of the images are in Japanese, which doesn't seem like the best thing for an English wiki. Granted, they all say the exact same thing, but it flip-flops between English and Japanese, so I think consistency is key.

Baby Luigi said:
I think the first table needs a bit tweaking. It's a bit difficult to distinguish what story belongs to who.
I think I've been looking at it too much to be able to properly edit it. A fresh set of eyes would do good. Could you take a stab at tweaking it, if you're not too busy?

I'll try

Pi said:
Is this list (List of Star Pieces in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door) ready for FA? It's a very easily understood list, and it's got some very nice navigational benefits, and uses the {{anchor}} template really well to pull this off.
At wider resolutions, what immediately strikes me is the egregious amounts of empty space thanks to bad table design. Also, Merluvlee's predictions on Star Pieces, should probably be incorporated into the table, but even then, the table still needs a redesign.

Time Turner said:
Trying out having tables w/images for the characters instead of lists. Better/worse?
Kind of bleh. Maybe a gallery format would work better? Because most of the information it provides is already covered in the story section, no?

The descriptions are definitely the hardest part to make, especially with the supporting characters. Most of them are given no actual character at all besides their role in the story. I didn't want to just leave them with no description, but I really couldn't think of anything else to write.

Yeah, so I said, the information is mostly repeated from the story. I think the character tables are unnecessary if little is given beyond the story games.

Why not use a gallery then and link them to the character articles? Seems cleaner than using a table that has a lot of empty space.

Back