Do you think the Mario Party series needs a reboot?

Do you think the Mario Party series needs a reboot?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
The older Mario Party games aren't that luck infested. Items help a lot.

I found Mario Parties 3, 4, and 6 to be the least luck-based out of all of them. At least that's what I think. Mario Party 9 went way too far with it though, even to the point where mini-games don't even matter. You can pretty much dominate every mini-game and still get screwed over all because of a bad roll.

I agree with you. Again, I think it's because items played an important role on those, plus the boards were good. I mean Mario Party 5's capsule system sucked....so Mario Party 6 took it and refined it. Mario Party 7 had the stupid Bowser time. Mario Party 8 had Bowser's Warped Orbit and Boo's Haunted Hideaway plus orbs are better than candy. No mention of DS? I guess maybe it's luck-based because of being able to buy multiple items? I heard the first one is hell and the second one is a little better.

I think what would make the perfect Mario party is going back to the simplicity of the gameplay (As in back to the standard 20 coins for stars for all boards, and the bonus stars restricted back to Mini-Game, Coin, and Happening stars like it is in the first 5 Mario Parties) and maybe the character costumes for whatever board of Mario Party 2, Mario Party 3's way of using items (And maybe even return some items from that game such as the Reverse Mushroom), maybe a collection/remake of all the best mini-games from each Mario Party game. The Battle Mini-games being a Space again rather then random, etc.

Not really sure there's anyway to really innovate the series that would be well-recieved. So combining the best aspects of the previous games. While also probably toning down a bit on some of the luck factor would be the only way a future Mario Party will be well-recieved now.

Northern Verve said:
I think what would make the perfect Mario party is going back to the simplicity of the gameplay (As in back to the standard 20 coins for stars for all boards, and the bonus stars restricted back to Mini-Game, Coin, and Happening stars like it is in the first 5 Mario Parties) and maybe the character costumes for whatever board of Mario Party 2, Mario Party 3's way of using items (And maybe even return some items from that game such as the Reverse Mushroom), maybe a collection/remake of all the best mini-games from each Mario Party game. The Battle Mini-games being a Space again rather then random, etc.

Not really sure there's anyway to really innovate the series that would be well-recieved. So combining the best aspects of the previous games. While also probably toning down a bit on some of the luck factor would be the only way a future Mario Party will be well-recieved now.

I disagree on having just one type of board. Boards like Faire Square, Pagoda Peak, and Windmill Ville are really good examples of other ways of getting stars executed right. Snowflake Lake-like and Neon Heights-like boards can just die, though.

Baby Luigi said:
I agree with you. Again, I think it's because items played an important role on those, plus the boards were good. I mean Mario Party 5's capsule system sucked....so Mario Party 6 took it and refined it. Mario Party 7 had the stupid Bowser time. Mario Party 8 had Bowser's Warped Orbit and Boo's Haunted Hideaway plus orbs are better than candy. No mention of DS? I guess maybe it's luck-based because of being able to buy multiple items? I heard the first one is hell and the second one is a little better.

Items did play a huge role in helping you win, which is why the older Mario Parties were so much better. Mario Party DS actually did pretty well with toning down the luck factor. And being able to buy multiple items at a time was actually pretty cool. And the prices were much more reasonable (Mario Party 8's item prices were horrible). The 1st Mario Party is kinda high on the luck factor. In some mini-games (like Pipe Maze and Pirahna Pursuit for example(depending on the situation)) your only hope of winning is if the computer players screw up somehow, which rarely ever happens. Not to mention in some boards, Bowser takes a horrendous amount of coins from you. Mario Party 2 did improve over the 1st one a bit thanks to the introduction of items.

Baby Luigi said:
Northern Verve said:

I disagree on having just one type of board. Boards like Faire Square, Pagoda Peak, and Windmill Ville are really good examples of other ways of getting stars executed right. Snowflake Lake-like and Neon Heights-like boards can just die, though.

I actually liked Snowflake Lake. There was a little bit of strategy behind it and if you play your cards right, your almost sure to win. I agree with you on Neon Heights though.

Eh, it kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially after playing Bowser's Warped Orbit >_>

Anser said:
Let's agree on something: Mario Party is a selling machine. It prints money.

it-prints-money.gif

But seriously, the old formula was good. What I loved was the DS version. 3DS sounds good, but I really hated MP9. Completely based on luck. You don't have any strategy to speak of.

Iggy Koopa Jr said:
But seriously, the old formula was good.

I never understood why people complained it was stagnating. I never thought it was the same old crap every time. I always had a blast with the old formula. I would consider myself a Mario Party fan, even. But....I skipped out on 9 and Island Tour doesn't even sound great. Nd Cube really doesn't know how to Mario Party.

To me, Mario Party 4 was the last great Mario Party. Mario Party 5 was when the series started going downhill IMO. Mario Party 6 picked it back up a little bit. I would have enjoyed 7 more if not for the horrendous Bowser Time. Mario Party 8 wasn't that great and 9 just ruined the series IMO.

Have you played Mario Party DS?

Baby Luigi said:
Have you played Mario Party DS?

Yeah, I have. It was great. I guess I should take back what I said about 4 being the last great one X3.

Download play is one of the best uses of download play I've ever seen.

When you compare it to Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 7, Mario Party DS's download play looks brilliant.

I think maybe there could be an MP game based on SMG, since SMG was awesome. Although the reductionistic critics would call it "a ripoff of Super Mario Galaxy, which is much better."

Mr. L rocks! said:
I think maybe there could be an MP game based on SMG, since SMG was awesome. Although the reductionistic critics would call it "a ripoff of Super Mario Galaxy, which is much better."

As far as I know there is a Mario Galaxy themed stage in Island Tour

Correct me if I am wrong.

True, but this is TOTALLY based on the galaxies.

Smaug said:
Mario Party needs to go back to the graphics of the original Mario Party.

You mean Wario still having a texture for a mouth and a cube for a hat? sure

I'll agree only if Wario goes DOH I MISSED

Lol, I call Waluigi in Mario Party 3 "Cube Man" 'cause of his freakishly blocky hands and as a reference to VicTORIous.

Back