Why do so many people like the Galaxy series?

Many people talk about the Galaxy series being overrated. Sort of true, I guess. But I say, not liking something that is overrated is a terrible reason not to like it. So what if it's popular? It's popular for a reason!

Overrated =/= terrible by any means. It just means it doesn't deserve the praise it gets. Galaxy doesn't deserve a 9.5+/10 average on Metacritic and an overwhelming majority of Mario fans gush about it (they even think Galaxy's models are hi-poly although Mario Party 8, Mario Party 9, and the Mario & Sonic games have higher quality models).

MnSG said:
Baby Luigi said:
A third Super Mario Galaxy? You know Nintendo, this is like eating popcorn for all three meals in the day: it gets boring and old.
And yet the New Super Mario Bros. titles are basically the same song and dance themselves.
Not to argue about planets, SMB 2D platformers are undeniable Mario classic, while 3D games need much more different gameplay and story themes. We can also expect that future NSMBs are given a more specific theme or backstory like Tropical Freeze.

Dorayaki said:
MnSG said:
Baby Luigi said:
A third Super Mario Galaxy? You know Nintendo, this is like eating popcorn for all three meals in the day: it gets boring and old.
And yet the New Super Mario Bros. titles are basically the same song and dance themselves.
Not to argue about planets, SMB 2D platformers are undeniable Mario classic, while 3D games need much more different gameplay and story themes. We can also expect that future NSMBs are given a more specific theme or backstory like Tropical Freeze.
going to cry if this happens

Candice said:
Many people talk about the Galaxy series being overrated. Sort of true, I guess. But I say, not liking something that is overrated is a terrible reason not to like it. So what if it's popular? It's popular for a reason!
doesn't mean that it's popular for a good reason

exhibit a: twilight

Tauriel said:
Dorayaki said:
MnSG said:
Baby Luigi said:

And it WILL happen. I don't know if we're going to have to wait for the Wii U successor or for the 3DS successor, but for all I know, Nintendo might put out a New Super Mario Bros. U 2 or a New Super Mario Bros. 3. And they will be a rehash of a rehash of a rehash. And, once again, I'll hate them.

Agh, retire already, Miyamoto...

Candice said:
How does something become popular for no good reason?

This world is littered with shallow, ignorant idiots

Anser said:
Tauriel said:
Dorayaki said:
And it WILL happen. I don't know if we're going to have to wait for the Wii U successor or for the 3DS successor, but for all I know, Nintendo might put out a New Super Mario Bros. U 2 or a New Super Mario Bros. 3. And they will be a rehash of a rehash of a rehash. And, once again, I'll hate them.
I wonder if you guys are going to wrong direction. I meant that 2D platformers are no doubt the major part of Mario series. Despite that it is too excessive recently, adding some special themes and stories instead of simply rehashing can whet customers' appetites. So for not to rehash Galaxy games.

I don't think the Galaxy games are the best games ever like some people think but they are pretty good just not on my list of favourite games. Oh and the soundtrack in the games are very memorable.

Back