Why do so many people like the Galaxy series?

I mean really? It's not a bad series or anything, but it's not like 10/10 worthy.

I mean, you're floating on generic platforms in space set on a fixed path in a boring environment.

I'm just wondering what some of you may see in it, because I clearly don't see much in it.

(and the music isn't even good IMO)

New Super Mario said:
I mean really? It's not a bad series or anything, but it's not like 10/10 worthy.

I mean, you're floating on generic platforms in space set on a fixed path in a boring environment.

I'm just wondering what some of you may see in it, because I clearly don't see much in it.

Here's a question for you:

Why do you like the original spyro games?

I mean, you're just on generic levels in random places on a pointless path in a boring environment.

I'm just wondering what you may see in it, because I clearly don't see much in it.

[speaking of the music, really? I can understand if it is not the best, but something must have possessed you to say that.]

Deku Link said:
New Super Mario said:

Here's a question for you:

Why do you like the original spyro games?

I mean, you're just on generic levels in random places on a pointless path in a boring environment.

I'm just wondering what you may see in it, because I clearly don't see much in it.

[speaking of the music, really? I can understand if it is not the best, but something must have possessed you to say that.]
I explained most of it in my review for Spyro 2.

There's just a lot more content in the games than a Mario game.

And I don't like the music because it wasn't memorable.

Of course, true, there will be some bias with nostalgia and all, but the 3D Mario games are a lot more generic than a Spyro world.

With criticism this generic, ANY game sounds boring.

In my personal experience, though, I've seen Mario fans fixate on Galaxy more than usual for this kind of sub-series, and I think it'd be interesting to discuss why. You don't see Internet fanboys clamouring for Super Mario 64 2 (or 128/256... etc) or Sunshine 2 anywhere as much.

Personally, I think it's a combination of the following factors:

1: It was an early release for a very successful console, making it babby's first Mario platformer for many

2: It returned to classic tropes and characters after an experimental and divise predecessor.

3: It has, excellent production value, elaborate and "epic" setpieces (in a stark contrast to the largely static nature of previous Mario games) and a more elaborate storyline (lol) than any of the mainline game before or after it. <---- I honestly think the bolded is why the series has such a following with Internet fanboys

Won't try to explain why players like its mechanics and level design, it's been a while since I played it. I don't remember caring much for it, either.

good level design, new and quite unique mechanics, a fantastic (orchestrated!) soundtrack in most people's opinions, and it avoided a lot of the flaws of sunshine, too

i mean, sunshine was a good game, but it had some weak spots

New Super Mario said:

Of course, true, there will be some bias with nostalgia and all, but the 3D Mario games are a lot more generic than a Spyro world.

My point was that you could easily say the same about any game to anyone that likes that game.

I mean, you try to hold every other game in comparison to your original Spyro games, and deeming them not as good as them, so really, I think the one needing to take off the nostalgia glasses is you. :P I do hope you realize that not everyone is going to think that the original Spyro games are the best games in the world like you do, and people are entitled to their own opinion.

Of course, trying to criticize other people's taste in games only makes you look like those nostaglia glasses are on pretty tight, but whatever. :P

I agree with a lot of points that Glowsquid and Nabber said. I honestly found the Galaxy games to have not only a great plot/side-plot (well, the first one at least), but very unique characters/enemies, a new way to explore and play, a lot of different and imaginative sceneries to see, and the music - in my opinion - is very top notch for the Mario series, and I do find many of the tracks very memorable. Heck, there are days where I am singing Gusty Garden's theme or Comet Oberservatory's theme.

Now, this is completely my opinion, but I really don't find Sunshine or 64 to have as memorable music as Galaxy. I'm sure a lot of people can disagree with me on that, but I just honestly like the music that Galaxy brought in.

Deku Link said:
New Super Mario said:

My point was that you could easily say the same about any game to anyone that likes that game.

I mean, you try to hold every other game in comparison to your original Spyro games, and deeming them not as good as them, so really, I think the one needing to take off the nostalgia glasses is you. :P I do hope you realize that not everyone is going to think that the original Spyro games are the best games in the world like you do, and people are entitled to their own opinion.

Of course, trying to criticize other people's taste in games only makes you look like those nostaglia glasses are on pretty tight, but whatever. :P

I agree with a lot of points that Glowsquid and Nabber said. I honestly found the Galaxy games to have not only a great plot/side-plot (well, the first one at least), but very unique characters/enemies, a new way to explore and play, a lot of different and imaginative sceneries to see, and the music - in my opinion - is very top notch for the Mario series, and I do find many of the tracks very memorable. Heck, there are days where I am singing Gusty Garden's theme or Comet Oberservatory's theme.

Now, this is completely my opinion, but I really don't find Sunshine or 64 to have as memorable music as Galaxy. I'm sure a lot of people can disagree with me on that, but I just honestly like the music that Galaxy brought in.
True true, but I guess that doesn't mean we could all open our eyes a little bit :P

New Super Mario said:
...boring environment? The Galaxy games had nice graphics, I thought. The best Mario's seen, at least.
New Super Mario said:
This I must disagree with. Strongly. Galaxy's sweeping, grand themes are on par with Legend of Zelda.

I love them for the great music and graphics, the gravity is also pretty cool, plus there's alot to do after you beat the game, and the general gameplay is very hooking to me.

The fact that the answer to this isn't as plain as day to 100% of the world's population makes me a sad panda.

Ema Skye said:
The fact that the answer to this isn't as plain as day to 100% of the world's population makes me a sad panda.
Hey, Panda! We don't take kindly to your type in here.

Per everyone. It's all subjective.

also, why is your name New Super Mario instead of New Super Spyro?

-It was innovative.
-It was madly fun.
-It was madly creative.
-It had an amazing soundtrack.
-It had some of the best graphics on the Wii.
-It introduced Rosalina (that one applies only for me, I guess).

New Super Mario said:
True true, but I guess that doesn't mean we could all open our eyes a little bit :P

Well, yes, but you're the one making a thread trying to downgrade Galaxy fans while we could easily point out the many flaws in the games that you like that others may not like.

Hawlucha said:
New Super Mario said:
...boring environment? The Galaxy games had nice graphics, I thought. The best Mario's seen, at least.
Some of it's great. But then you get stuff like this. Graphics are great, but you're playing on a slab of wood.

images

It's a well-designed game series. You don't get much games like Galaxy.

That being said, it's overrated to death.

Galaxy doesn't deserve a 9.5/10 or higher.

The series does feature a lot of impressive soundtracks, and rather unique game play.

What I often find myself wondering is why people dislike the Super Mario Galaxy games. It's really interesting that I'm so in love with them now, because I originally thought the designers went in completely the wrong direction and never really wanted to have anything to do with the first one, but that was mainly due to my weird aversion to outer space (y'know, expansive scary blackness, you can't breathe, etc.). Once I actually started playing Super Mario Galaxy and realized how they had taken outer space and morphed it into something miraculous and bright and fun, my only regret was that I hadn't started playing it sooner. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of the games: because they took one of my biggest fears and turned it into something enjoyable.

From my perspective, there's just so much that works everywhere in the games that it'd be hard for me to pick just one or even a few aspects of them to explain why I'm so fond of them. The planet hopping is just...I don't know, like...one of the awesomest mechanics and most original ideas that I've ever seen executed in a videogame before. The music is phenomenal and some of the best that I've heard anywhere. The gravity manipulation aspects take creativity and innovation to new levels, and stand out tremendously from any other game I've ever played. The size of the galaxies is sick compared to levels in the previous games, and the shapes and themes of the planets are awesomely creative.

It's kinda like they took everything that I liked about Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine and made it newer and better, then added a bunch of awesome new stuff, and turned that into Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Half of the levels in 64 and Sunshine were already floating around in the sky anyway, with Galaxy and Galaxy 2 they finally had a good reason for it. Bringing the Power Stars back as collectibles made sense for obvious reasons, and Grand Stars are insanely awesome, which is why they're my avatar like everywhere. Then there's levels from 64 and Sunshine that they reworked into new galaxies: that was pretty cool. I also love the Star Cursor - never get tired of pulling in Star Bits from several planets away.

The concept of the games and the stuff in them just makes so much sense to me; almost every time I play them I wonder how they didn't come up with all of it sooner. Skeleton heads that eat the ground and beams of light that let you walk on walls, not to mention swimming through giant spheres of water, running around upside-down and sideways for five minutes and not getting dizzy, hitting a coconut forward and watching it come back from behind you...it just all brings a smile to my face. Overall, I just feel like the games show you what videogaming is about and what it can do, and reminds you why you started playing Mario games in the first place. Personally, I won't be satisfied until they come out with at least one more Galaxy game.

Granted times change, but this from an interview in 2012 where the director said a third game is unlikely

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/36325/mario-galaxy-3-is-difficult-to-imagine-nintendo/

Enough with same-foundation sequels and make something original. I'm REALLY tired of this whole "Mario hits a block, gets a powerup, shrinks when gets hit, has terrible swimming controls" system now. I just realized it after playing Super Mario 3D World.

Mario Party X said:
Enough with same-foundation sequels and make something original. I'm REALLY tired of this whole "Mario hits a block, gets a powerup, shrinks when gets hit, has terrible swimming controls" system now. I just realized it after playing Super Mario 3D World.

So you're tired of Mario being Mario?

There are four games that deviated from this thing: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which is basically Super Mario Galaxy but with more levels). Meanwhile, we have New Super Mario Bros. DS (which isn't too bad), New Super Mario Bros. Wii (again, okay), New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario 3D Land, and now Super Mario 3D World. And the recent games are all packed within a few years of each other.

Do the four make Mario unMario?

Back