Why do so many people like the Galaxy series?

A third Super Mario Galaxy? You know Nintendo, this is like eating popcorn for all three meals in the day: it gets boring and old.

Mario Party X said:
There are four games that deviated from this thing: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which is basically Super Mario Galaxy but with more levels). Meanwhile, we have New Super Mario Bros. DS (which isn't too bad), New Super Mario Bros. Wii (again, okay), New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario 3D Land, and now Super Mario 3D World. And the recent games are all packed within a few years of each other.

Do the four make Mario unMario?

That's more of a subjective question, really.

Baby Luigi said:
A third Super Mario Galaxy? You know Nintendo, this is like eating popcorn for all three meals in the day: it gets boring and old.

It depends. If they're going to rehash 1 and 2 again, I agree. If they, however, actually stop being so goddamn lazy and start changing things and making everything feel brand new, it could be a great game. My perfect example of a good sequel is Banjo-Tooie. New voice acting, new graphic engine, new moves, new items, new characters, a brand new world, improved graphics, new soundtrack. It felt completely new to me.

Well if they implement two player multiplayer, I'm already sold. I mean, even hackers found a way to make two players playable in the first two Galaxy games >_>

Toa 95 said:
Mario Party X said:
There are four games that deviated from this thing: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (which is basically Super Mario Galaxy but with more levels). Meanwhile, we have New Super Mario Bros. DS (which isn't too bad), New Super Mario Bros. Wii (again, okay), New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario 3D Land, and now Super Mario 3D World. And the recent games are all packed within a few years of each other.

It may be, but does it make them a bad game because they aren't true to the Mario formula?

Anser said:
It depends. If they're going to rehash 1 and 2 again, I agree. If they, however, actually stop being so goddang lazy and start changing things and making everything feel brand new, it could be a great game. My perfect example of a good sequel is Banjo-Tooie. New voice acting, new graphic engine, new moves, new items, new characters, a brand new world, improved graphics, new soundtrack. It felt completely new to me.

Mario games don't need new voice acting, but this is what Mario sequels within a few years of each other need to be. If they are a significant amount of years apart, it's okay to stick to the formula. But if you're going to make a Mario sequel within 2 years after release of the game, then please change some things a bit more. It's okay if you call it expansion pack or a more levels and powerups pack, but please don't call it a full-fledged game.

Mario Party X said:
Toa 95 said:
Mario Party X said:

It may be, but does it make them a bad game because they aren't true to the Mario formula?

Again, it's subjective. I really don't think so, I suppose, but that's just my opinion, and those things vary from person to person. Also remember that the 3D games never sell as much as the 2D ones, and for any business sales are what speak to them the most.

Mario Party X said:

(Don't forget non-Japanese SMB2)...

I kinda get what you're saying. Like, when I was growing up Mario was, like, the guy who could do anything and every game brought something new to the table. Now everything is just so predictable and a complete cash cow, and it upsets me because Mario is about the wonder of something new and setting bars for quality.

I do respect how Nintendo have become smarter with their productions and are now re-using engines to get new content out as soon as possible, but I think in that rapid development they've lost the heart that went into the games during their 3-5 year development. It's like, Mario is now the CoD of Nintendo - only there for the money - instead of being there to just so the people playing could have an imaginative, memorable experience.

And that really sucks.

Mario Party X said:
Mario games don't need new voice acting, but this is what Mario sequels within a few years of each other need to be. If they are a significant amount of years apart, it's okay to stick to the formula. But if you're going to make a Mario sequel within 2 years after release of the game, then please change some things a bit more. It's okay if you call it expansion pack or a more levels and powerups pack, but please don't call it a full-fledged game.

Um, what I meant with new voice acting was bringing Charles Martinet and the rest of the cast to record some new voice clips, instead of re-using the ones from the past game :P It makes the game feel fresh, in my opinion.

also, another two comments:

1. The Galaxy soundtrack. To elaborate, it really brought emotion into the game. Generally, you'll just have a happy little ditty in a Mario game, but in Galaxy you had these grand sweeping themes that brought life into the game. You felt the beautiful experience of exploring a new galaxy, you heard the vast emptiness of space, and in general it just added to the game so much.

2. Playing it for the first time. Galaxy was the first time in a while, I think, that playing a Mario game felt new and wondrous, and there hasn't been a Mario game that captured the first playthrough since. I remember when I first got my hands on the game, and it was simply amazing. So many new ideas, so many unique levels! I have yet to feel that way again.

Nabber said:
also, another two comments:

1. The Galaxy soundtrack. To elaborate, it really brought emotion into the game. Generally, you'll just have a happy little ditty in a Mario game, but in Galaxy you had these grand sweeping themes that brought life into the game. You felt the beautiful experience of exploring a new galaxy, you heard the vast emptiness of space, and in general it just added to the game so much.

pretty much this is the only thing i cared about in the galaxy games.

I even FORCED myself to play galaxy just for the soundtrack.

I cant really think why people would like them though, but thats them and not me.

Phoenix said:
What I often find myself wondering is why people dislike the Super Mario Galaxy games. It's really interesting that I'm so in love with them now, because I originally thought the designers went in completely the wrong direction and never really wanted to have anything to do with the first one, but that was mainly due to my weird aversion to outer space (y'know, expansive scary blackness, you can't breathe, etc.). Once I actually started playing Super Mario Galaxy and realized how they had taken outer space and morphed it into something miraculous and bright and fun, my only regret was that I hadn't started playing it sooner. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of the games: because they took one of my biggest fears and turned it into something enjoyable.

From my perspective, there's just so much that works everywhere in the games that it'd be hard for me to pick just one or even a few aspects of them to explain why I'm so fond of them. The planet hopping is just...I don't know, like...one of the awesomest mechanics and most original ideas that I've ever seen executed in a videogame before. The music is phenomenal and some of the best that I've heard anywhere. The gravity manipulation aspects take creativity and innovation to new levels, and stand out tremendously from any other game I've ever played. The size of the galaxies is sick compared to levels in the previous games, and the shapes and themes of the planets are awesomely creative.

It's kinda like they took everything that I liked about Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine and made it newer and better, then added a bunch of awesome new stuff, and turned that into Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Half of the levels in 64 and Sunshine were already floating around in the sky anyway, with Galaxy and Galaxy 2 they finally had a good reason for it. Bringing the Power Stars back as collectibles made sense for obvious reasons, and Grand Stars are insanely awesome, which is why they're my avatar like everywhere. Then there's levels from 64 and Sunshine that they reworked into new galaxies: that was pretty cool. I also love the Star Cursor - never get tired of pulling in Star Bits from several planets away.

The concept of the games and the stuff in them just makes so much sense to me; almost every time I play them I wonder how they didn't come up with all of it sooner. Skeleton heads that eat the ground and beams of light that let you walk on walls, not to mention swimming through giant spheres of water, running around upside-down and sideways for five minutes and not getting dizzy, hitting a coconut forward and watching it come back from behind you...it just all brings a smile to my face. Overall, I just feel like the games show you what videogaming is about and what it can do, and reminds you why you started playing Mario games in the first place. Personally, I won't be satisfied until they come out with at least one more Galaxy game.
This explains everything

But what I really don't get about your first post is that you said you were in a "boring" environment. The reason why myself and so many other people like Galaxy is that the environments are anything but boring. Can you explain how it is boring?

New Super Mario said:
Hawlucha said:
New Super Mario said:
I mean, you're floating on generic platforms in space set on a fixed path in a boring environment.
...boring environment? The Galaxy games had nice graphics, I thought. The best Mario's seen, at least.
Some of it's great. But then you get stuff like this. Graphics are great, but you're playing on a slab of wood.

images
oh yeah because playing on a slab of wood is so terrible

we should just go back to GRASS DESERT WATER ICE FOREST ROCK CLOUD LAVA

Yeah, not a fan of random crap floating in the middle of nowhere

Anser said:
Mario Party X said:

Um, what I meant with new voice acting was bringing Charles Martinet and the rest of the cast to record some new voice clips, instead of re-using the ones from the past game :P It makes the game feel fresh, in my opinion.

Oh, heh, I interpreted that as new voice actors, not new voice clips. My bad.

The soundtrack has a lot of amazing tracks, but many forgettable MIDI tracks has also let it down.

Baby Luigi said:

And yet the New Super Mario Bros. titles are basically the same song and dance themselves.

Hawlucha said:
Baby Luigi said:
Yeah, not a fan of random crap floating in the middle of nowhere
...planets?

>_>

hint: planets aren't random. I'm talking about freaking wood blocks.

Ah, but planets are random!

Earth is one of the most random planets in existance. I mean, we have so many different climates and locales. We have deserts, oceans, tundras, forests... totally random patterns of existence. Compared to most planets who only have one ecosystem on the entire planet, Earth is indeed very random.

The same can be said for planets. While you may question the validity of "random" wood blocks, to other species (notably the Whittles of SMG), these "random wood blocks" are "planets", and your "planets" are simply "random combinations of dirt and magma". It's entirely possible that the Whittles created these entire planets, similar to the Magratheans from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Yeah but at least Earth is familiar to us. Same with floating circular planetoids. But for a video game, wood planks in the middle of a vast sky doesn't look particularly interesting....at least to me anyway.

Earth is no less random than a random number sequence of 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on.

Baby Luigi said:
Yeah but at least Earth is familiar to us. Same with floating circular planetoids. But for a video game, wood planks in the middle of a vast sky doesn't look particularly interesting....at least to me anyway.
Yes. But you must open your mind, young one. Appreciate these wooden planets from the Whittles' point of view, and Earth from theirs.

Only then will you understand what "interesting" truly is.

Meh you're talking to a person who thinks Baby Luigi is awesome, even though he's just a dumb ripoff of Baby Mario and Luigi who are ripoffs of Mario.

Back