New Storyline for Mario

Why hasn't there been a new Wario Land lately? :/

Speaking of babies, having the "baby gang" in a main series game would be pretty cool.
I'm sure you would want that, BLOF.

Aegislash said:
Having new characters like Rosalina is better than nothing.

We do have Wario games, but WarioWare doesn't really count. There's no storyline, it's just make games and play the ones already on the game.

Having a crossover by just adding new characters that we've already seen before would be pointless. Would there be a storyline? If yes, then fine.
Having new characters do sometimes make striking advertising effects, but it shouldn't be simultaneous with neglecting other useable characters on hand.

I personally like Warioware games, and that doesn't mean there won't be a new platformer for the series. Strictly speaking, they have some mini stories for each minigame featuring certain characters, but not a whole and adventurous plot. However, Warioware is the game where characters have strong personality and are able to create a good story, which a lesson that Mario games should take.

Uh, I was just quoting those who said wanting a crossover platformer, wasn't I?

Aegislash said:
Speaking of babies, having the "baby gang" in a main series game would be pretty cool.

Of course I do! It's my dream one day that Baby Mario and Baby Luigi shall finally be playable and controllable in a platformer. That game will be the best game ever (even better if Wario is the main villain)

DragonFreak said:
Baby Luigi said:
I don't know, but there needs to be another one. Come on Nintendo, the series is gold.

More golden than New Super Mario Bros. 2

The Shake Dimension especially was awesome, and I feel they must make another Wario Land on the Wii U or something. Might even be able to jazz it up for the better with some intriguing GamePad use, but either way, another Wario Land would sell like hot cakes, I bet.

DragonFreak said:
Baby Luigi said:
I don't know, but there needs to be another one. Come on Nintendo, the series is gold.

Lovely pun there, by the way.

Baby Luigi said:
Aegislash said:

Of course I do! It's my dream one day that Baby Mario and Baby Luigi shall finally be playable and controllable in a platformer. That game will be the best game ever (even better if Wario is the main villain)

DragonFreak said:
Baby Luigi said:

More golden than New Super Mario Bros. 2

I'm surprised they haven't done that yet, the babies deserve more popularity than what they get.

Aegislash said:
I'm surprised they haven't done that yet, the babies deserve more popularity than what they get.

I honestly think they should be playable in Yoshi's New Island or even Yarn Yoshi

Baby Luigi said:
Aegislash said:

I honestly think they should be playable in Yoshi's New Island or even Yarn Yoshi
Well Baby Mario is playable in Yoshi's New Island.
In Yarn Yoshi I think it should be Yoshi's spotlight - he doesn't get enough attention either.

Aegislash said:

I don't consider him playable, I just think he's like a rock on Yoshi's back

And imo I think Yoshi gets enough attention

Baby Luigi said:
Aegislash said:

I don't consider him playable, I just think he's like a rock on Yoshi's back

And imo I think Yoshi gets enough attention
Oh well I remember looking at that wiki page awhile back and seeing Baby Mario on it, so.
And Yoshi does get some attention but I think he (she?) deserves more. I can imagine a yarn Baby Mario/Luigi though, but when I looked at the screenshots it seems that won't happen.

Icemario11 said:
The Shake Dimension especially was awesome, and I feel they must make another Wario Land on the Wii U or something.
Hope that the next Wario platformer can be just like SM3DW and Tropical Freeze, give us four playable characters like Wario, Waluigi, Jimmy and Mona.

Baby Luigi said:

Being a main series doesn't seem possible. Hope that Baby Luigi can also be playable this time.

Aegislash said:
Yoshi does get some attention but I think he (she?) deserves more. I can imagine a yarn Baby Mario/Luigi though, but when I looked at the screenshots it seems that won't happen.
Does he? I persnoally think his "series" doesn't show as unique, independent as Wario and DK's. Two new games seem abit too much.

The topic is about SMB storyline, so it's better to be back on topic.

Aegislash said:
Oh well I remember looking at that wiki page awhile back and seeing Baby Mario on it, so.
And Yoshi does get some attention but I think he (she?) deserves more. I can imagine a yarn Baby Mario/Luigi though, but when I looked at the screenshots it seems that won't happen.

It just says "characters" now.

Eh, not much is revealed about Yarn Yoshi. Maybe they can hold back a surprise? Kirby's Epic Yarn did have two players, it's a good idea for Good Feel to expand and include four player gameplay.

Aegislash said:
Those are very early screenshots, and nothing else has been seen, maybe they're programming in a Baby character.

And I don't really play Mario for a good story, I play it because I enjoy the gameplay. I wouldn't object to a new story, but I'd also be fine if there wasn't a new story.

Baby Luigi said:
Aegislash said:

Eh, not much is revealed about Yarn Yoshi. Maybe they can hold back a surprise? Kirby's Epic Yarn did have two players, it's a good idea for Good Feel to expand and include four player gameplay.

If that happens, then it would just be four Yoshi of different colours, I'm guessing. Seems like the way Nintendo would go if they did.

Icemario11 said:
Baby Luigi said:
If that happens, then it would just be four Yoshi of different colours, I'm guessing. Seems like the way Nintendo would go if they did.
I doubt why Birdo wasn't put in NSMB or previous Yoshi games, but still there are fewer than four dinasaour type characters in Mario series, unlike DK and Wario who have lots of companions to choose from. So yes, if there is multiplayer, they don't have other choices but colors. At most, they could give four different babies on their backs.

Dorayaki said:
Icemario11 said:
Baby Luigi said:
I doubt why Birdo wasn't put in NSMB or previous Yoshi games, but still there are fewer than four dinasaour type characters in Mario series, unlike DK and Wario who have lots of companions to choose from. So yes, if there is multiplayer, they don't have other choices but colors. At most, they could give four different babies on their backs.

While getting babies is an improvement, I'd like to see them actually be playable.

There's lots of characters in the series already, and if there were to be new spins on the story, I'd prefer to see it done with established characters rather than simply bringing in new ones to fill gaps: anyone can create a flat character to fill a given role, but making roles for old characters or adapting old characters so that new roles suit them is much more interesting storytelling.

Aegislash said:
Michael Myers said:
A huge open-world 3d Mario game. It's a massive world filled with all sorts of locations like Isle Delfino, Yoshi's Island, Peach's Castle, Sarasland, Comet Observatory, Luigi's Mansion etc. not sure who the villain would be, but not Bowser. You can recrute a total of eight playable character. Those being Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Bowser. The game would have a ton of supporting NPCs, enemies, and bosses that would make the Super Slugger's roster envious.
That would be amazing. There shouldn't even be a main villain, just have a big RPG with quests and stuff. While I know that's not really Mario's style, it would be really cool to see a game like that. The name of it would probably called Super Mario Infinite or something.
I feel like "Mario wanders around helping people with random stuff" is a cute idea. It fits his good Samaritan personality too - like how he's always going off on sidequests in the RPGs.

Icemario11 said:
Baby Luigi said:
Aegislash said:

If they make that choice, then, I, as a a consumer have a choice too. I'll be keeping my money.

Walkazo said:
There's lots of characters in the series already, and if there were to be new spins on the story, I'd prefer to see it done with established characters rather than simply bringing in new ones to fill gaps: anyone can create a flat character to fill a given role, but making roles for old characters or adapting old characters so that new roles suit them is much more interesting storytelling.

Aegislash said:
Michael Myers said:
A huge open-world 3d Mario game. It's a massive world filled with all sorts of locations like Isle Delfino, Yoshi's Island, Peach's Castle, Sarasland, Comet Observatory, Luigi's Mansion etc. not sure who the villain would be, but not Bowser. You can recrute a total of eight playable character. Those being Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Bowser. The game would have a ton of supporting NPCs, enemies, and bosses that would make the Super Slugger's roster envious.
That would be amazing. There shouldn't even be a main villain, just have a big RPG with quests and stuff. While I know that's not really Mario's style, it would be really cool to see a game like that. The name of it would probably called Super Mario Infinite or something.
I feel like "Mario wanders around helping people with random stuff" is a cute idea. It fits his good Samaritan personality too - like how he's always going off on sidequests in the RPGs.

Yeah, I really hope Nintendo decides to make a game like that soon.

Walkazo said:
I can't agree with you more. Still, an all-star story would be too complicated for SMB, so RPGs look like a better place to do that. Or the characters have to take turns (for example, Wario is featured in NSMB1 but doesn't appear in NSMB2), which seems more ideal. The real problem is neither RPGs nor SMBs are devoting themselves to filling roles for given characters, as far as we see.

On the other hand, new characters do give good storytelling or advertising, so they fit in a brand-new title. Old characters can shine in those games which lacks a featured theme or story.

Dorayaki said:
Walkazo said:
I can't agree with you more. Still, an all-star story would be too complicated for SMB, so RPGs look like a better place to do that. Or the characters have to take turns (for example, Wario is featured in NSMB1 but doesn't appear in NSMB2), which seems more ideal. The real problem is neither RPGs nor SMBs are devoting themselves to filling roles for given characters, as far as we see.

On the other hand, new characters do give good storytelling or advertising, so they fit in a brand-new title. Old characters can shine in those games which lacks a featured theme or story.

SMB isn't too complicated for something like that.. they have lots of characters with different backgrounds/personalities and there wouldn't have to be a main storyline, just lots of quests or something.

Heck, Disney did it!

Aegislash said:
Dorayaki said:
Still, an all-star story would be too complicated for SMB, so RPGs look like a better place to do that. Or the characters have to take turns (for example, Wario is featured in NSMB1 but doesn't appear in NSMB2), which seems more ideal. The real problem is neither RPGs nor SMBs are devoting themselves to filling roles for given characters, as far as we see.

SMB isn't too complicated for something like that.. they have lots of characters with different backgrounds/personalities and there wouldn't have to be a main storyline, just lots of quests or something. Heck, Disney did it!
Maybe, I'm not sure since Nintendo had never done it, while Disney is a team who know how to write stories.
(offtopic: Infinity is a cool idea but the roster still has some problems to me, though better than Kingdom Hearts).

The simpliest way to me is adding one exclusive playable main character to each handheld SMB so that fans are eager to get every title by all means (more realistic than a golden theme). But the prologue must make it clear why some of they appear or not, not the Wario case from SM64DS.

Back