New Storyline for Mario

UltimatePetey

Go! Magnezone!
I've wondered a lot:

"What would happen if there was a different storyline?"

Obviously I'm not extremely creative, so I can never find myself an answer. Right now, Bowser always kidnaps Peach in all of the new Mario games, really the only thing different is new powerups, enemies, etc.

What do you think a good storyline would be other than the original, and do you think that would effect the popularity of the series?

Nightmare Moon said:
refer to le RPG games in the series

I'm talking about the main ones (not saying the Mario RPG's aren't good, I actually quite like them), obviously those have different storylines.

Mienfoo said:
wario and waluigi are the antagonists for a game

hilarity ensues

I can see it now - Super Mario Hilarity 3D

Peach kidnaps Bowser

DragonFreak said:
I'm alright with Bowser kidnaps Peach. And I always will be.
It's the total opposite with me. I just can't stress it enough, how boring and repetitive that storyline's gotten.

Aegislash said:
Super Mario Hilarity 3D2D and HD
*fixed.

Solar Blaze said:
DragonFreak said:
It's the total opposite with me. I just can't stress it enough, how boring and repetitive that storyline's gotten.
Repetition has never bothered. Kind of the opposite of a lot of people.

I'd have to agree. The repetition of the storyline never turned me away from buying a new Mario game. The new mechanics, enemies, power-ups, etc. drive me to buy one.

Edit: Oh god that quote error was horrific.

Solar Blaze said:
DragonFreak said:

I can't stand it either. Come on, I really despise Peach being a helpless little bimbo with, "MARRRRIOOOO HELP MEEEEEE!!!". I mean come on, just look at her in the spin-off Mario games, she's much more competent.

Baby Luigi said:
Solar Blaze said:
DragonFreak said:

I can't stand it either. Come on, I really despise Peach being a helpless little bimbo with, "MARRRRIOOOO HELP MEEEEEE!!!". I mean come on, just look at her in the spin-off Mario games, she's much more competent.

I'd have to agree with this.

I usually rely on the Mario series to give me just pure fun without to much depth in the story. They're just fun to play so I but them, I don't need a complex story to accept that.

I'm not saying I won't accept a new storyline though, I'm saying I don't care what they do with it. Send Poochy and a Bandit to the candy world to save a baby dragon from a talking cloud with a sweet looking hat, I'd play it. Actually that would be pretty cool

I can see why people would want a new storyline so I think it'd be nice if Nintendo changed it to keep them happy.

Crackin basically just summed up what I think about this topic.

+Mario games don't ultimately depend on storyline
+Mario games give a lot of entertainment even though the story is usually the same
-The storyline is repetitive and I understand why people want it changed. Nintendo should, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker to not buy a game if they didn't.

2 positive compared to a negative, so ultimately it's a problem but not one that will ruin the Mario series.

Look, I'm not asking for an elaborate epic written by Shakespeare, all I'm asking for is no *thing* kidnapping Peach

Super Mario 3D World took a step in the right direction

Too late for me, I just edited it

But yeah, Super Mario 3D World FINALLY did it right

Baby Luigi said:
Too late for me, I just edited it

But yeah, Super Mario 3D World FINALLY did it right
I just read a page on the internet that is
"Super Mario 3D World looks like the game Mario fans have been waiting for"
I'm sure a ton of people are glad Bowser is FINALLY kidnapping something else. I like it too, it's good that there's a change for once.

A huge open-world 3d Mario game. It's a massive world filled with all sorts of locations like Isle Delfino, Yoshi's Island, Peach's Castle, Sarasland, Comet Observatory, Luigi's Mansion etc. not sure who the villain would be, but not Bowser. You can recrute a total of eight playable character. Those being Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Bowser. The game would have a ton of supporting NPCs, enemies, and bosses that would make the Super Slugger's roster envious.

Michael Myers said:
A huge open-world 3d Mario game. It's a massive world filled with all sorts of locations like Isle Delfino, Yoshi's Island, Peach's Castle, Sarasland, Comet Observatory, Luigi's Mansion etc. not sure who the villain would be, but not Bowser. You can recrute a total of eight playable character. Those being Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, and Bowser. The game would have a ton of supporting NPCs, enemies, and bosses that would make the Super Slugger's roster envious.

That would be amazing. There shouldn't even be a main villain, just have a big RPG with quests and stuff. While I know that's not really Mario's style, it would be really cool to see a game like that. The name of it would probably called Super Mario Infinite or something.

Until NSMBU, the problem of platformer storylines isn't that we really need new stories, but the formula has lots of contradictions that don't keep pace with time.

Despite that, among all Mario platformers, I think the stories of 3D titles (Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World) are different and new enough for me. NSMB titles and 3D Land for 3DS still mostly stick to the formula story, and because their gameplay are simpler than other titles, their stories can't be too complicated. RPGs should be the most complicated, for sure.

I like Rosalina and sprixies, but they're new characters which means Miyamoto simply creates some external events, not making use of the main characters on hand who are competent in making a colorful story. There should also be more original villains where Boswer just plays an extra boss role.

Mienfoo said:
DragonFreak said:
Also, there needs a Wario Bros. game with Wario and Waluigi.
We just got a Wario game (without Waluigi), but I know you mean there should be a new platformer for them. Actaully, since DK and Wario games have totally different stories, Nintendo can just make more of them to prevent us from being bored by SMB titles, but unfortunately they don't.

I reject to see to Wario bros and DK "for now" because Nintendo don't have periodical game release plan for their series. If they do, and they make good arrangement of characters, I'm willing to see crossovers such as Wario in a new DKC and Luigi in a Warioware.

Dorayaki said:
Until NSMBU, the problem of platformer storylines isn't that we really need new stories, but the formula has lots of contradictions that don't keep pace with time.

Despite that, among all Mario platformers, I think the stories of 3D titles (Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World) are different and new enough for me. NSMB titles and 3D Land for 3DS still mostly stick to the formula story, and because their gameplay are simpler than other titles, their stories can't be too complicated. RPGs should be more complicated than any other game, for sure.

I like Rosalina and sprixies, but they're new characters which means Miyamoto simply creates some external events, not making use of the main characters on hand who are competent in making a colorful story. I think there could be more original villians where Boswer just plays an extra boss role.

Mienfoo said:
DragonFreak said:
We just got a Wario game (without Waluigi), but I know you mean there should be a new platformer for them. Actaully, since DK and Wario games have totally different stories, Nintendo can just make more of them to prevent us from being bored by SMB titles, but unfortunately they don't.

I reject to see to Wario bros and DK "for now" because Nintendo don't have periodical game release plan for their series. If they do, and they make good arrangement of characters, I'm willing to see crossovers such as Wario in a new DKC and Luigi in a Warioware.

1. I agree with what you said about Sunshine, Galaxy, and 3D World
2. Having new characters like Rosalina, etc. and having Bowser as the boss is better than nothing. I agree that there should be a new boss though, they can't keep using this storyline forever just adding minor characters.
3. We do have Wario games, but WarioWare doesn't really count. There's no storyline, it's just make games and play the ones already on the game. If I recall, they don't generate much popularity either.
4. Like I said before, WarioWare doesn't really count. Having a crossover by just adding new characters that we've already seen before would be pointless. Would there be a storyline? If yes, then fine.
5. Excuse me if 3-4 aren't correct, I haven't kept up with WarioWare for a long time, not sure if there's a storyline or not.
6. Good to see you again!

Dorayaki said:
Mienfoo said:
DragonFreak said:
What Wario game? It's probably a minigame-type game right?

Michael Myers said:
The game would have a ton of supporting NPCs, enemies, and bosses that would make the Super Slugger's roster envious.

That means Baby Mario and Baby Luigi are in it

Please?

DragonFreak said:
Dorayaki said:
Mienfoo said:
DragonFreak said:
What Wario game? It's probably a minigame-type game right?

Game & Wario aka WarioWare

Back