Your headcanons

Hard to be trans when your species doesn't seem to have separate sexes anyways. And no, I'm not counting "one wears a bow and has eyelashes in an illustration of a book within a comic" as "proof."

Hm?

What I mean is that there would be no subconscious assigning of gender identity for a species without any biological impetus for that (ie separate sexes), meaning Yoshis wouldn't have separate genders because they wouldn't have....I don't wanna say the "capacity" for it, but something along those lines. Although it could very well be that Birdo only "thinks he's a girl" because Birdo's species also lacks separate sexes, meaning that they can't really be "boys" or "girls" by simple definition of that they are a single-sex species, and as such lack that sort of differentiation on the bottom line. Which would be less "transgender" and more "conscious adoption of a biologically-inapplicable gender."

I feel a species that has lived alongside humans surely have established similar constructs like gender so I find it that explanation just a long route for a short path.

Mario Kart is so plotless and casual fun with friends/rivals that in-universe the characters take turns on who gets to win the trophy (while the other racers act as challenges to overcome). They're all expert difficulty by nature but play easy for newby cup challengers.

Also in the manual for SMK it pretty much implies Lakitu is the creator of the event, so I also headcanon that that remains true for the rest of the MK series, he bands the kingdoms together while they're at a truce, with the help of citizens of every kingdom to make the courses and rules.

These 2 things also apply to every plotless Mario Sports game since Lakitu is always the coach/referee sometimes partnered with a Toad.

*edit*
Also I forget if I said this on an earlier page but canon Mario games are essentially Mario & often-Bowser playing the literal game of Capture the Flag, to decide a war. That's why enemies only need to tap Mario to defeat him, and vice versa, (t)he(y) got tagged.
This could explain why enemies are harder for M&L to defeat in M&L series (if we were to assume they're the same bros despite being a spin-off series), in M&L they're having truer fights instead of tagging.

The marioverse is very magic, and so the in-universe games effect the physics of the worlds.

Last edited:
Personally, I find "transgender" to be "subconscious gender assignment gone awry," ie a boy whose mind thinks he's a girl or vice-versa in the case of humans. Adopting gender would be caused by non-biological stimuli, ie non-binary and gender fluidity are not part of the ways human brains can subconsciously develop, but they still exist in nature and as such one can identify with them if they feel more similar to them. Basically, a vaguely similar thing, but not the same thing.

Cats do have separate "genders" by default, as there are different behaviors associated with males and females. For an asexual species to be a "he" or "she," they would need to adopt concepts from a species that does have actual males and females. As for the use of "he," it's a way to be generic for animals since "it" is considered rude in the case of sapient creatures (in fact it's the only pronoun I'd be annoyed if you called me by). Which might explain Birdo's description a bit more (even though that was clearly not the intent at the time).

headcanon: the fabrics of the marioverse are infused with happiness chemicals (serotonin, dopamine, etc), creating the zany personalities, rubbery bounciness, and vibrances everybody loves

The Koopalings are still Bowser's children. The thing is, they're adopted. Bowser Jr is Bowser's only BIOLOGICAL child. Bowser tries to keep this under wraps because he still wants people to think of him as an evildoer

Last edited:
Since I often think about Frankenstein this time of year here are some headcanons for the only notable mad scientist this series has.

At least villainous ones.

Fawful created Midbus by combining DNA of a warthog and an armadillo.

All the Fawful looking enemies in BIS that aren't robots were made from mutated beans that he got from the baby bros in partners in time.

All the Fawful looking enemies in BIS that aren't robots were made from mutated beans that he got from the baby bros in partners in time.

wait you're saying that the babies had an indirect hand in helping fawful achieve his goals...? :(

My ages for most of the magor Mario cast. Don't think many people will care, but I'm bored

:mario:: 26

:luigi:: 26 too

:peach:: 20-22 (not quite sure)

:bowser:: 27-30

:wario: and :waluigi:: 26 (I remember a Smash trophy saying Waluigi was the same age as Luigi, and I'd assume that applies to Wario too)

:toad:: 19 (Captain Toad is a few years older)

:toadette:: Also 19

:yoshi:: Very young in human years

Also, while I'm talking about adoption, here's a headcanon I've had for a long time. After the events of Super Mario World, Mario and Luigi took in Yoshi as a pet/adopted son, and he's stayed in their house with them ever since.

Last edited:
The Koopalings are still Bowser's children. The thing is, they're adopted. Bowser Jr is Bowser's only BIOLOGICAL child. Bowser tries to keep this under wraps because he still wants people to think of him as an evildoer
yeah i have the same headcanon!! but it seems to be common either way. i think kamek adoped bowser too and its kinda sweet. wheres the real parents? Who Knows!!

I now headcanon Kamek and Kammy are Bowser's adoptive parents
which also means I headcanon there's a 3D Kammy and a Paper Kamek

And that Wario & Waluigi's relation to Mario & Luigi is that they're Corrupted (through dark magic ztar stuff) Humans and were named accordingly. And that Bowser/Koopalings are corrupted Yoshis.

To go farther into this, I headcanon Kamek & Kammy stole a baby yoshi, possibly while still unhatched, and corrupted it with magic/ztar energy, raised it as a "Prince" to "take the thrown as King" basically as Koopa's ultimate Warrior. I headcanon the Magikoopa's are the true rulers of Bowser/Koopa Kingdom, and *try* to use bowser as a puppet (but the older bowser got, the less control they had over him, eventually he really does become the ruler).
I also think somewhere down the line of things, they also corrupted 2 baby humans at the Stork Hospital, but they didn't know which humans were the corrupt ones, so they kidnapped everyone from the hospital (Baby Waluigi got delivered late because he wanted to finish watching cartoons). Yoshi's sabotaged their plans to raise corrupt humans as warriors for their army and brought the humans to their appropriate homes. Wario of course led a life of his own, the koopa's could not control him at any post encounter.

WHICH LEADS ME TO THE FINALE OF MY HEADCANON

Why we never see Waluigi in canon/adventure games? After Kamek failed to abduct the other babies, he saw the Stork come by again, he knew it was 1 of the babies he missed, and nabbed Waluigi from the stork. No one knew, the magikoopas have been raising Waluigi and training him to be the biggest baddest boss in secret. He uses magic/zstar energy, he's not supposed to let people know too much about him, but he's revealed that he can turn ground into water and swim through it, and that he can create tornadoes.. I believe that's a small percentage of his power.. someday it will all be revealed and he will be the final boss, as the leader of the magikoopa guild.

Last edited:
Blue Bowser is unlike his brother and his family in that he decided that being evil wasn't really for him after helping Bowser out in the first game. He and Bowser made peace and he took his leave to pursue other interests (academics, writing, stuff like that). He and Bowser still talk with each other over the phone sometimes, but Bowser dosen't tell Mario where he went the few times he asked.

Reactions: zel
As a kid, I was a firm believer that the Koopalings were Bowser's adopted kids. I always thought it would be really nice of Bowser to soften up and take in a bunch of orphans and raise them as his own. I still think it would've been a good storyline, but I really don't think that they are his kids in any fashion anymore. They're minions and minions only (although they are among the highest-ranking). Dialogue from recent games, particularly the latest Mario and Luigi games, suggests that there is no parent-child relationship between Bowser and the Koopalings whatsoever. They refer to him as "Lord Bowser" or "Boss" formally, or simply "Bowser" if they're talking casually amongst themselves. This line really sells it:

"Easy, Roy. That's the boss's kid." -Ludwig, Bowser Jr's Journey

Bowser is just their boss, and there is no sibling relationship between them and Bowser Jr!

Even when Bowser addresses them in recent games, he always addresses them as a group, as if they were just a squad of minions. Additionally, he always has the same commanding tone he uses when speaking to all his other minions. He completely lacks any of the softness he has when talking to Jr
(unless, of course, he's talking to them about Jr).

Technically speaking, we've never seen any written Koopaling dialogue in the main series since before Sunshine. If ever. So there is a little bit of wiggle room if you want to argue against the canonicity of the M&L series. However, given all the other juicy lore that can be found in that series, it would be a detriment to the Marioverse to consider it non-canon.

As much as I'd like to believe it, I just can't anymore. The facts don't lie.

Personally, I think developmentally, it went like this:
The Koopalings were envisioned as Bowser's kids.
Then, something terrible happened, and that something was Mario Party.
In the final board, Eternal Star, there are seven "Baby Bowsers." Note the seven; they were likely a stand-in for the seven Koopalings to save on resources.
In the following Mario Party games, "Koopa Kid" got an increasingly expanded role, until eventually, his design was tweaked to make Bowser Jr.
The Mario Party games at first ignored Bowser Jr., but then unceremoniously dropped "Koopa Kid" from the rosters in favor of him.
Anyways, fans kept clamoring for the Koopalings to return, and eventually Nintendo conceded, but with Bowser Jr. it was sort of awkward to have them ALL as Bowser's children, so the devs demoted them to elite minions without a relation.

Basically, if it weren't for Mario Party, there likely would be no Bowser Jr.

I tend to think Yoshi Island was the reason we had Jr., But Mario Party could be a contributing series, maybe it had a nice idea of a mini Bowser as a troublemaker.

Back